KSP Crashes on Load only when I have other Programs Running on my Compuer

KSP: 32-bit, OpenGL Mode, Fullscreen Windowed Mode

Problem: KSP Crashes while loading only when other applications are running on the computer alongside it, however once it is loaded I can run as many applications as I want alongside it. One thing I should also specify is that when KSP does load up (a.k.a when I've loaded it up without any other applications running) all of the mods work perfectly fine and as intended.

EDIT: Also please note that I'm aware it's an out of memory issue... This post is to figure out though why its an out of memory issue as it seems to be quite an unusual problem. Also another thing I'll point out is that once KSP is running it's average RAM usage is only 0.6 - 2.5 GB of RAM depending on what I'm doing.

Astronomers Visual Pack - Interstellar (V2)

Chatterer (0.9.6)

Chute Safety Indicator (1.0.2)

Coherent Contracts (1.02)

Contract Window (5.3)

Distant Object Enhacement (1.6.0)

Docking Port Alignment Indicator (6.2)

Editor Extensions (2.12)

Engine Lighting (1.4.0)

Environmental Visuals Enhanced (7.4)

Exception Detector (1.1)

Hullcam VDS (0.50)

JDimishingRTG (1.3a)

Kerbal Alarm Clock (3.4.0.0)

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (3.1.4)

Kerbal Engineer (1.0.18.0)

Kopernicus (0.3.3)

Langing Height (1.4)

MechJeb (2.5.3.0)

Menu Stabilizer (?)

Open Tree (2.3)

Outer Planets Mod (1.8)

OPM Clouds (0.7)

OPM Tekto Lightning (0.1)

Planet Shine (0.2.3.1)

Precise Node (1.1.3)

Quick IVA (1.11)

Quick Search (1.13)

RasterPropMonitor (0.22.2)

RCS Build Aid (0.7.2)

RCS Sounds (4.3a)

Real Plume (10.4.9)

Rover Wheel Sounds (1.2)

SCANSat (14.2)

Science Alert (1.8.9)

Ship Effects Sound Mod (1.0.2)

Smoke Screen (2.6.7.0)

Stage Recovery (1.5.7)

Stock Clamshell Fairings (1.0)

StockBugFixModules (1.0.4c.2)

Texture Replacer (2.4.8)

Blizzy's Toolbar (1.7.9)

Transfer Window Planner (1.3.1.0)

Vessel Viewer (0.71)

Water Sounds (1.1)

Waypoint Manager (2.4.2)

Also I'll note I'm using a 4k Sky Box with Texture Replacer

System Specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600

GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX

Crash Log

EDIT: Also one other thing I will note is that I always watch KSP.exe RAM usage while it loads, and when I'm running other applications alongside it while it loads it seems to use up to 3GB while laoding, where as when there are no other applications running alongside it, it will use anywhere between 2.7 - 2.9GB while loading. I honestly don't see why other programs running would cause KSP to use more RAM, it doesn't make sense does it? Also I thought Windows 32-bit KSP didn't crash until about 3.3GB of RAM usage, and I've never seen it above 3GB while loading.

Edited by CoriW

From the log you are running out of memory with KSP. So you need to lower the RAM use with your mods *Take out memory heavy mods or lower the resolution of the texture files within the mods*
Problem: KSP Crashes while loading only when other applications are running on the computer alongside it, however once it is loaded I can run as many applications as I want alongside it. One thing I should also specify is that when KSP does load up (a.k.a when I've loaded it up without any other applications running) all of the mods work perfectly fine and as intended.

Thanks for the reply, and while it is a problem of the game running out of memory that's not the problem that I'm necessarily trying to solve because I can run the game just fine. As stated in my original post (and in the quote above) it only crashes on load when I have other applications running on the computer alongside it. While there may or may not be a solution to that problem, I want to attempt to find out why it only crashes on load under those conditions.

To clarify further, I don't need to remove any memory heavy mods or lower any resolutions because once the game is loaded the RAM usage drops down to well below the amount of RAM that will crash the game.

Edited by CoriW

Unity is almost certainly modifying its memory allocation strategy depending on the amount of free memory available when it is started. KSP itself may be trying to do something similar though this is less likely. It is a bit odd that this causes the game to use more memory during loading when less is available but complex systems such as the memory allocation in Unity can often exhibit strange behavior in situations that haven't been fully considered/accounted for.

Is there an amount of free memory when you start the game that guarantees a crash, i.e. if you have less than x GB free it uses more and crashes?

oki, then what programs are you trying to run beside KSP?
Unity is almost certainly modifying its memory allocation strategy depending on the amount of free memory available when it is started. KSP itself may be trying to do something similar though this is less likely. It is a bit odd that this causes the game to use more memory during loading when less is available but complex systems such as the memory allocation in Unity can often exhibit strange behavior in situations that haven't been fully considered/accounted for.

Is there an amount of free memory when you start the game that guarantees a crash, i.e. if you have less than x GB free it uses more and crashes?

Alright so I did some testing in which I ran different programs and monitored my System RAM Usage while launching KSP, and after performing 6 tests I have to say my findings are slightly confusing to say the least.

TEST 1: Non-Background Programs Running - Windows Explorer x2, Task Manager, Chrome, Teamspeak, Notepad++
Before Launch - 3.4GB/7.9GB (43%) System RAM Usage | Highest System RAM Usage - 6.2GB/7.9GB (78%) | NO CRASH

TEST 2: Non-Background Programs Running - Windows Explorer x2, Task Manager, Chrome, Notepad++
Before Launch - 3.4GB/7.9GB (43%) System RAM Usage | Highest System RAM Usage - 6.4GB/7.9GB (81%) | CRASH

TEST 3: Non-Background Programs Running - Windows Explorer x2, Task Manager, Chrome, Notepad++
Before Launch - 3.0GB/7.9GB (38%) System RAM Usage | Highest System RAM Usage - 6.5GB/7.9GB (82%) | CRASH

TEST 4: Non-Background Programs Running - Task Manager, Notepad++
Before Launch - 2.8GB/7.9GB (35%) System RAM Usage | Highest System RAM Usage - 6.1GB/7.9GB (77%) | NO CRASH

TEST 4: Non-Background Programs Running - Task Manager, Chrome, Notepad++
Before Launch - 3.0GB/7.9GB (38%) System RAM Usage | Highest System RAM Usage - 6.0GB/7.9GB (76%) | NO CRASH

TEST 4: Non-Background Programs Running - Windows Explorer x2, Task Manager, Chrome, Notepad++, WinAmp, Microsoft Edge, Unity
Before Launch - 3.4GB/7.9GB (43%) System RAM Usage | Highest System RAM Usage - 6.5GB/7.9GB (82%) | NO CRASH

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.