What year is it really?

daniel l.

According to the christian calender it is 2015 (duh) but that is unfair to other peoples who use different ones, As well considering that the world needs a calender basing itself off of a date recognizable to all, Not just diehard christians, (I am an athiest btw) So i though that it should begin at the rebirth of civilization in 1500 so the year could be: 515PR (Post Renaissance)

What do you guys think?

I can already guess some of you guys's reactions :sticktongue::

68747470733a2f2f7261772e6769746875622e636f6d2f726576616e736f706865722f676162656e697a65722f6d61737465722f676162656e2e706e67.png?1433988538

Or some event in roman history at 0 AD

I know what that was, And i dont doubt how important it was, But as important as it was it still is not all that important to chinese or japanese or other eastern people, The renaissance however was a very important happening as it changed the lives of millions and created modern civilization.

You should thinking of rename the day of week and the month too. Named after ancients gods.

Ever heard of the Republican Calendar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar

Its a good idea but i think it to be unlikely considering all bloodshed that was involved.

Maybe the months should be renamed after important scientists? Newton,Galilei,Brahe,Sagan,Herschel... and so on.

Edited by daniel l.

Its a good idea but i think it to be unlikely considering all bloodshed that was involved.

Maybe the months should be renamed after important scientists? Newton,Galilei,Brahe,Sagan,Herschel... and so on.

No. We indeed must recognize pioneers in their fields especially when science wasn't such a unified effort back then, but the current state of science demands people work together, in teams to achieve anything at all. Those names you mentioned get enough recognition, changing the names of the months would, in my opinion, be against the spirit of science as it is now. It's an effort of massive groups of people, not individuals pushing it bit by bit.

As for our current calender, well it works so don't fix it. Its starting point really doesn't mean much.

The Gregorian (Julian is slightly different) christian calendar have been wildly accepted throughout the world due to most influential country use it but you can use whatever system you like. For me, there is no reason to change something most people are used to. (it's not broken so don't fix it)

So i though that it should begin at the rebirth of civilization in 1500 so the year could be: 515PR (Post Renaissance)

This is even more arbitrary as European renaissance is a very European reference, here in Madagascar we never underwent that.

Edited by Hary R

The Gregorian (Julian is slightly different) christian calendar have been wildly accepted throughout the world due to most effluent country use it (and we are used to it) but you can use whatever system you like but for me there is no reason to change something most people are used to. (it's not broken so don't fix it)

This is even more arbitrary as European renaissance is a very European reference, here in Madagascar we never underwent that.

Prior to the renaissance i doubt madagascar even had a written language ;) so yeah europe's rebirth did have an effect.

No matter what date reference you use, it's almost always going to be biased towards a certain group. A lot of people are already used to the BC/AD or BCE/CE system.

The Renaissance: not only is it Euro-centric, I don't think there is an exact date for when it started.

I remember seeing the Orion's Arm collaborative sci-fi project use the first Moon landing as a reference (Before Tranquility/After Tranquility). Despite the main purpose of it probably being "American prestige during the Cold War," I believe that Apollo 11 was for all humanity. But the date reference is only worth changing if we become a space-faring species.

Edited by Pipcard

C'mon guys, The renaissance wasnt a serious thing to me it was just a suggestion. How about the founding of the first major human empire instead? (Like Egypt or Sumeria?)

- - - Updated - - -

No matter what date reference you use, it's almost always going to be biased towards a certain group. A lot of people are already used to the BC/AD or BCE/CE system.

The Renaissance: not only is it Euro-centric, I don't think there is an exact date for when it started.

I remember seeing the Orion's Arm collaborative sci-fi project use the first Moon landing as a reference (Before Tranquility/After Tranquility). Despite the main purpose of it probably being "American prestige during the Cold War," I believe that Apollo 11 was for all humanity. But the date reference is only worth changing if we become a space-faring species.

Apollo 11 could work but it was really a culmination of a decade of gradual steps making it actually kind of anticlimactic. How about Yuri Gagarins flight instead?

C'mon guys, The renaissance wasnt a serious thing to me it was just a suggestion. How about the founding of the first major human empire instead? (Like Egypt or Sumeria?)

- - - Updated - - -

Apollo 11 could work but it was really a culmination of a decade of gradual steps making it actually kind of anticlimactic. How about Yuri Gagarins flight instead?

Could be a good idea but the exact date of the founding is uncertain so... arbitrary:rolleyes:

I refuse to acknowledge any time system that starts from any time other than the birth of the Universe. So once you've figured out what that is get back to me.

More seriously, so long as everybody agrees, what does it matter?

We need sometime to start our calenders that dont remind us of the barbarian past or racistly reflect just one division of humanity.

We need sometime to start our calenders that dont remind us of the barbarian past or racistly reflect just one division of humanity.

So every time you write the date, you think about barbarians and racism? I've got to say I don't think I've ever in my life done that.

I wouldn't have tell it this way but I do agree with the idea, the starting point should be something more representative of all humanity, not only a christian related thing.

Well, mind you, i'm christian so I don't really mind the current starting point.

Edited by Hary R

I propose the writing of the first text using non-image character (so no hieroglyph) with some arbitrary timestamp present (month or season is fine), and we can pinpoint when it was created. Either that or Gregorian -4712 would do good (as that's the arbitrary zero point selected for Julian Date, why not go along ?).

I honestly don't care, I don't see why it needs to change. Also, Americans wont change to metric so good luck.

It needs to change because not everybody is christian and doesnt need to count from the birthday of a christian martyr, And metric is the least of our issues you know, If trump gets elected we're all screwed.

Why don't you just pretend AC/BC stand for After Counting (or caring)/Before Counting respectively?

This.

I'm just guessing here, but I think that most, no, almost all people just don't care that the names of the weekdays or the months are based on a funny mixture of various mythologies which were (and are) undeniably an important part of human history., if you like it or not.

They're just names nowadays. I don't sacrifice caught enemies in a swampy moor on Thursdays, you know.