What year is it really?

daniel l.

It needs to change because not everybody is christian and doesn't need to count from the birthday of a christian martyr

Well, it's not from his exact birthday, he was born on 25th of December of year 1 BC (yeah weird I know don't question it) But we get the idea.

By the way, most people use this calendar for commerce and international official things, for other event, non christian (and some of them like us) use a different calendar... ever heard of Chinese new year?

Edit:

Year 13.7 billion

exactly

It needs to change because not everybody is christian and doesnt need to count from the birthday of a christian martyr.

No it doesnt need to change!

Iam an atheist from mostly atheist country. We still celebrate Christian holidays even if lot of the people including me have no clue what they actualy mean in cristian tradition, honestly i dont even care. Holidays are holidays.

The calendar we use, the names of the days and months we use are what we are used to use. It is a working system and trying to change it will only let to needles confusion.

I realy dont understand why once in a while an idiot appears who desperately needs to change things that are working perfectly, and i definitely do not feel like geting used to new ways because some moron feels ofended by the old ones.

If it aint broken dont fix it!

The calendar we use, the names of the days and months we use are what we are used to use. It is a working system and trying to change it will only let to needles confusion.

I realy dont understand why once in a while an idiot appears who desperately needs to change things that are working perfectly, and i definitely do not feel like geting used to new ways because some moron feels ofended by the old ones.

If it aint broken dont fix it!

QFT. I mean it's not like the calendar isn't accurate.

Or 9300 BC as the start of agriculture!

I am just going to end all of this with a big bang.

13.8 billion years, the planck unit is 10-43 so its 13.8 * 365.25 * 24* 3600 / 10-43

the time is currently #.################ x 1052.

I've outdone myself, this is certainly more useful than the gregorial calender and grenwich mean time. Think how simple it will be for little kids in school to learn time. And look now its no-ones time, until of course the big bang theory is revised and then it really is noones time.

According to Einstein when exist in space-time, which means time is only valid in one reference frane. Since our time is invalid does it really matter which scale we use. But on the occassion that we discover quantum gravity, the whole universe should celebrate by switching to the planck scale and planck time. lol.

According to the christian calender it is 2015 (duh) but that is unfair to other peoples who use different ones, As well considering that the world needs a calender basing itself off of a date recognizable to all, Not just diehard christians, (I am an athiest btw) So i though that it should begin at the rebirth of civilization in 1500 so the year could be: 515PR (Post Renaissance)

1500 is a bit of an overgeneralization. Not much happened in that year specifically, so I would choose a date like 1492 (when the two sides of the world met for the first time) or 1540/1543 (first published arguments for heliocentricism). In more modern times I would choose the first airplane flight in 1903, the trinity test in 1945, the launch of sputnik in 1957, the first manned spaceflight in 1961, or...

I remember seeing the Orion's Arm collaborative sci-fi project use the first Moon landing as a reference (Before Tranquility/After Tranquility). Despite the main purpose of it probably being "American prestige during the Cold War," I believe that Apollo 11 was for all humanity. But the date reference is only worth changing if we become a space-faring species.

... this. Or the first transmitted message on the internet. Or the first published study on global warming. Or the first manned Mars landing. Or the launch/landing of the first wave of permanent colonists in space. It all really depends on what the world of the future is like and what events will be the most influential on history.

I refuse to acknowledge any time system that starts from any time other than the birth of the Universe. So once you've figured out what that is get back to me.

This would work perfectly well if we knew, within a few hours, how old the universe is. Unfortunately our margin of error is currently several tens of millions of years, so this won't work.

Or 9300 BC as the start of agriculture!

Again, we would need to know exactly when the first seed was deliberately planted, which we can't.

1500 is a bit of an overgeneralization. Not much happened in that year specifically, so I would choose a date like 1492 (when the two sides of the world met for the first time) or 1540/1543 (first published arguments for heliocentricism). In more modern times I would choose the first airplane flight in 1903, the trinity test in 1945, the launch of sputnik in 1957, the first manned spaceflight in 1961, or....

I'm not sure the natives of the Americas will fondly remember the start of possibly the worst genocide in history, but that's just me!

Surely the easiest thing is to set the zero as the date when people agreed to reset the zero? Nice, neutral, logical, well-defined, and doesn't give a stupidly large number right from the start.

No because then we'd know it was rounded to the nearest century in the barbaric, racist old calendar. How will we feel good about ourselves if we succumb to that?

Not really rounding. 1760 was around the time Watt perfected the Newcomen engine. 1800 is around the time the steam engine came into larger use.

Not really rounding. 1760 was around the time Watt perfected the Newcomen engine. 1800 is around the time the steam engine came into larger use.

We need something that would be a cliche for this group of lively sprites

BLS/ALS 0 = July 20th 1969 @ 20:18 UTC

Before lunar step, after lunar step

I wouldn't have tell it this way but I do agree with the idea, the starting point should be something more representative of all humanity, not only a christian related thing.

Well, mind you, i'm christian so I don't really mind the current starting point.

This is made more fun in that Christ was not born year 0, they guys who set the date messed up a bit.

Year 1 don't fit with some other timed events in the bible like the year local rulers ruled, general consensus is year 5-6 before Christ, his birthday is pure guess and just put at Christmas as its an fitting time for celebration.

Anyway year 2015 is pretty fitting as it put everything except ancient history on the + side, putting year 1 in recent time will put lots of more resent and dated history in the - part, using an more recent date would put more of the more recent and dated history in the - part

According to the christian calender it is 2015 (duh) but that is unfair to other peoples who use different ones, As well considering that the world needs a calender basing itself off of a date recognizable to all, Not just diehard christians, (I am an athiest btw) So i though that it should begin at the rebirth of civilization in 1500 so the year could be: 515PR (Post Renaissance)

What do you guys think?

I can already guess some of you guys's reactions :sticktongue::

https://storybookstorage.s3.amazonaws.com/items/images/000/109/432/original/68747470733a2f2f7261772e6769746875622e636f6d2f726576616e736f706865722f676162656e697a65722f6d61737465722f676162656e2e706e67.png?1433988538

I think you're just as bad or worse as any "diehard Christian", a term I can only assume you thought to be insulting.

The Gregorian Calendar is a minor refinement of the Julian Calendar, which is based on the Roman Calendar, which was likely based on Greek lunar calendars. Atheism, just like religious belief, is not an excuse for stupidity.

Edited by Randazzo

This is made more fun in that Christ was not born year 0, they guys who set the date messed up a bit.

Year 1 don't fit with some other timed events in the bible like the year local rulers ruled, general consensus is year 5-6 before Christ, his birthday is pure guess and just put at Christmas as its an fitting time for celebration.

Actually they did a pretty good job calculating the year. Don't forget the ancestor of the modern calender was created during the middle ages. Record keeping in those times was pretty rudimentary. Calculating backwards for over a millennium and ending up with an error of only a few years is pretty darn impressive.

Kinda funny how a calendar purporting to be of significance to people outside of Christianity would center the completely and totally European "rebirth of civilization" as its zero-date...

I know what that was, And i dont doubt how important it was, But as important as it was it still is not all that important to chinese or japanese or other eastern people, The renaissance however was a very important happening as it changed the lives of millions and created modern civilization.

Because that is sooo much more respectful towards Asian/African/Native American cultures?

Maybe stick with some widely observed astronomical phenomenon, which has been recorded all over the world? SN 1054 for instance? (A supernova that occured in 1054 BC)

Edited by Kerbart

Solar Hijri (as used in Iran and Afghanistan) works pretty well; it starts at spring equinox, as is logical, and starts exactly at the spring equinox every year so you don't have to muck about with arbitrarily-placed leap years. It does start at a religious event, but at least it's one that we know happened and we have a firm date for, unlike certain others. Even the months are better; they start out with 31 days, switch to 30 on the 7th, and the last has 29 or 30.

Edited by Kryten

Any date is just an arbitrary number. Changing the calendar just because you hate Christians is stupid.

I'm an atheist but am very happy with the current calendar.

But its not christian or religious, its a calender created by the romans for more or less bureacratic reasons. Its only christian in the sense the RC church became the tradition Roman christian religion during the period of constantine and HRC assummed that role after the great skism, which is moot since the fall of Nova Roma, many christian sects continued to use other calenders for a long period,mparticularly the Jewish observant calenders.

We are having this argument because most of the Eastern and African versions fell to other religions and are now flies on the wall. The calender is about Roman dominance, not christian dominance. Christianity afterall was usurped by the Roman emperor as an attempt to stabilize the masses and deal with the broad destructive swings of emperors that placed the empire in jeapordy. The gregorian corrections are no diiferent than the grenwich folks addind a leap second every now and then. Sure he's a saint but hes also a bureaucrat, a rose by any other name.

I have to add my 2, The roman calender is a whole lot better than a lunar calender because the lunar creates an unneeded 12 year rotation, and if i want to know where the moon is, its easy enough to go outside. If i want to know went a solistice is i need a megalith. Count 365 for three years then count 366 any one with a piece of charcoal can do that, you are never off by more than 0.2%, which is far better than annual temperatur variations of the weather. So ...... And time is no longer controlled by the church, its control by some bureacrats in England whose predecessors created an observatory, the most religion it gets is an aged woman with a regnum somewhere in her name says cheerio every other decade to the folks that run it.

Commence search for science content: 0 results found.

Commence search for religious content: 27 results found.

Commence search for content disparaging other cultures: 4 results found.

Sorry folks, this discussion does not belong in the Science Labs, or on this forum at all, really. Locked.