[Invention] Itaalician alphabet evolution

StelarCF

Down below is the earliest form of writing known in Itaalicia:

7X5nM.png

As you can see it is pretty abstract, since it is the earliest form of writing and it probably was one kerb sitting down and thinking he might forget the recipe for gunpowder (a very important item in pre-liquid era rocketry)

Soon after paper was discovered (due to it being useful for keeping gunpowder in) kerbs started using charcoal in an wooden casing (now known as a pencil) to write and tried writing fast, since most of the writing was done in soon-to-explode rockets

0BKtH.png

It is immediately visible how much more organic the alphabet is now compared to when writing was done by carving stone. It is also visible that SH and M look very similar and that U looks very similar to a circle.

Kerbal culture was still evolving, with much literature such as 'A Kerbal Booster' (poetry collection) and 'Tartarus of Mun' (full book, poetry) starting to appear as kerbals constantly failed in their attempts to reach the mun. Since the typewriter wasn\'t invented yet many kerbals still wrote by hand. You can see below what the alphabet of classical ruma looked like:

ygiGq.png

As you can see U was rounded and A transformed from a simple circle to a rotated square (excuse the fact it still has that dot there, forgot to delete it). SH was added another 'arm' to the right and N has a new line added at the bottom (making it a reverse M)

More will come!

Perhaps it\'s your illustrations, but with the alphabet system I see, it might be easy to confuse a hastily-scribbled 'G(e)', 'O', and/or 'U' (and even an 'I', depending on the penmanship of the individual Kerbal). They\'re all closed shapes with little to distinguish them but number of corners (and corners can, unfortunately, be rounded) and orientation. I can recognize an 'O' in my alphabet regardless of how poorly it\'s drawn, for example, in part because there\'s nothing that looks a whole lot like an 'O' (only smaller).

Of course, for all I know, maybe Kerbal brains work in such a way that they instinctively look for visual differences our human brains tend to gloss over. Or maybe their language is such that deciphering the correct letter is easy with contextual cues.

All that said, please take this as an extremely minor critique. I really enjoy what you\'re doing here -- building a script with a history! It really adds flavor and depth to Kerbal history prior to the space age.

Perhaps it\'s your illustrations, but with the alphabet system I see, it might be easy to confuse a hastily-scribbled 'G(e)', 'O', and/or 'U' (and even an 'I', depending on the penmanship of the individual Kerbal). They\'re all closed shapes with little to distinguish them but number of corners (and corners can, unfortunately, be rounded) and orientation. I can recognize an 'O' in my alphabet regardless of how poorly it\'s drawn, for example, in part because there\'s nothing that looks a whole lot like an 'O' (only smaller).

Of course, for all I know, maybe Kerbal brains work in such a way that they instinctively look for visual differences our human brains tend to gloss over. Or maybe their language is such that deciphering the correct letter is easy with contextual cues.

All that said, please take this as an extremely minor critique. I really enjoy what you\'re doing here -- building a script with a history! It really adds flavor and depth to Kerbal history prior to the space age.

Yes, a hastily scribbled O can be confused with a U. However keep in mind that this is mostly a write-letter-by-letter language and a kerbal will probably write large letters such that the pen company gets more money that they can understand the letter well. I am thinking of now transforming the letters into something more like a cursive script - until the invention of the typewriter (not sure if this is the correct word, if not then use google translate to convert the romanian word 'tipar' into english) they would probably write by hand. At that point they would probably try to make the letters more distinguishable from each other (like they already did in the transition between 'ancient' alphabet and 'classical' alphabet) even when scribbled at high speeds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.