The Kerbol-16 Challenge

Souper

The ship that lands on eve would not be the ship that lands on tylo, if you use seperate landers.

As I read it, at least part of your eve lander would also have to land on every other body.

I'm wondering if the way to do it is to take a mk1 pod, stick a docking port on the bottom, and some RCS blocks around it, and just dock your pod to different lander bases.

Your pod+RCS+docking port is then the "ship" that lands everywhere

The ship that lands on eve would not be the ship that lands on tylo, if you use seperate landers.

As I read it, at least part of your eve lander would also have to land on every other body.

I'm wondering if the way to do it is to take a mk1 pod, stick a docking port on the bottom, and some RCS blocks around it, and just dock your pod to different lander bases.

Your pod+RCS+docking port is then the "ship" that lands everywhere

Yep. That's how I would do it.

One very small "ship" that just docks to different lander modules

The only feasible way I could see this be done is if you designed something that was meant to go to Eve's surface and back (gilly shouldn't be too hard depending on how you design it), then to Moho, and then to Tylo. From there it would jump to each of Jool's moons (and for the sake of saying "we were at jool", either aerobrake or otherwise dip into Jool's atmosphere). After that, landing on Dres and Duna (and their moons) will be relatively easy. Then you take a trip back into Kerbin to land on Mun and Minmus. After that, its a simple transfer to Eeloo and land, and then use Eeloos distance to get yourself launched into the sun. (likely using a gravity assist)

Obviously the biggest hurdle is the first three targets, which are the hardest 3 to land on in the stock system. A ship that can hit all three in one launch and refuel in the process shouldn't have an issue reaching the rest of the planets and moons imo.

Why should anyone spend time trying this if the OP can't be bothered?

Maybe because doing grand tour might be fun. Also the added challenge of doing it in single launch is interesting.

Me and some of my friends are actually thinking to try this. I already built a ship that is capable of landing and ascending to/from Eve. It became quite heavy though so I might need to downscale that in order to be able to comply with single launch rule.

I also need a module for my lander that can go to laythe and tylo. I'm thinking of making it plane looking with rapiers so I can single stage laythe and use the same module with staging for tylo. Then I need one more general module that can land everywhere else. Also ISRU refuel ship is needed that can land to low gravity moons to get more fuel...

The amount of stuff we need to lift with single launch will be daunting... Designing good enough lifter won't be easy.

Order I'm thinking would be:

1. Leave laythe/tylo module to kerbin orbit

2. Do Eve so I can get rid of the massive eve module

3. refuel from gilly

4. moho + refuel

5. back to kerbin orbit (refuel from gilly again on the way if needed)

6. mun + minmus(refuel)+ pick up tylo module

7. Duna+Ike (refuel)

8. dres (refuel)

9. Jool orbit

10. Laythe

11. Vall (refuel)

12. Tylo

13. Bop+Pol(refuel)

14. eeloo (refuel)

15. Wait for eeloo apoapsis and burn retrograde until you can

16. GLORIOUSLY CRASH TO KERBOL

The methodology I would adopt were I to try would be to have a huge thrust unit which could refill on low gravity moons and would have around 9000Dv with payload, a lander that could descend and lift off from all the planets and moons except eve and tylo which would have their own landers then move it around the solar system being refuelled at low gravity moons and every now and then dropping the lander to plant a flag. The order would not matter too much but it would be sensible to do Eve and Tylo first then the lander for the rest of the system could be the top stage of the tylo lander.

One large hurdle would be Moho, getting there, refuelling and returning to the outer system would be challenging so it might be best to leave it until last.

I would imagine some of Whackjobs design tricks would be needed to get the thing into orbit though. It will also need to be launched with just enough fuel to get the ISRU unit to Minmus to refuel the man craft for the first interplanetary transfer.

• 6 months later...

Hello guys, i did the challenge.

I used K.E.R. as only Mod, this mod is only providing infos about flight so it seems legit to me to use it, as long as the threadstarter doesn´t do the challenge by himself ;)

My final time is about 333 years, i think this can be improved by a lot...

some tips:

use an Engineer (i used jeb unfortunately)

take some surveysats with you

dont waste mass on a tylo module, you can do it easily with a 5900 dv planetjumper

build an eve module

The Craft is downloadable here:

https://kerbalx.com/Scabank/KERBOL-16-FINAL-VERSION-11

And here is the link to my Youtube proof of the challenge:

7 hours ago, Scabank said:

I used K.E.R. as only Mod, this mod is only providing infos about flight so it seems legit to me to use it, as long as the threadstarter doesn´t do the challenge by himself ;)

some tips:

dont waste mass on a tylo module, you can do it easily with a 5900 dv planetjumper

build an eve module

Looks interesting, but I can't manage 3 hours of video :)

Do you have clips or pics of the highlights?  Got lost in the fastforwarding, but if you did what I think you did it's quite an impressive mission.

yes i did add some timestamps in the youtube video description, sorry for the later change, i had to stream as well ;) but now all the timestamps are in the description ;) i know that 4 hours is too much to watch in one go, i just wanted to proof that i did it ;)

edit.: i have some screenshots, but i dont want to upload them all here in this thread, i am going to link the album on imgur when im awake tomorrow ;) i streamed for almost 20 hours now because of Dark souls 3 and i have to sleep ... now :D

Edited by Scabank
missed something

Woahwoahwoahwoah... You want me to land and orbit every celestial body and crash into Kerbol?

Nope. Even the guy who says that he builds big rockets for fun (but smaller than Wackjob's ;)) knows this is practically impossible.

• 2 months later...
On 4/11/2016 at 9:52 AM, Scabank said:

I used K.E.R. as only Mod, this mod is only providing infos about flight so it seems legit to me to use it, as long as the threadstarter doesn´t do the challenge by himself :wink:

some tips:

build an eve module

You win. I know this is a little late, but you have won.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.