Antennae revealed on Squadcast

TMS

The three you saw before (and reposted above) are your relay antennas. The new antenna is very small (0.5m diameter dish) and as many folks have noted, a kerbalized version of real antenna with features/homage to the hubble, apollo, and soyuz.

(edit)

So without going into too much detail (NDAs and such), the little foldable one you see in this post is meant to complement the other deployable antennas (i.e. the three existing ones you have in game now, only two of which actually have dishes).

(double edit)

And all of this is because once the antenna diversity feature is in, just plunking a whip antenna on your ship and calling it a day will no longer cut it ;) So I need to make sure we have an appropriate stable of antennas available in stock to support the feature and it's mechanics.

Edited by RoverDude

And all of this is because once the antenna diversity feature is in, just plunking a whip antenna on your ship and calling it a day will no longer cut it ;) So I need to make sure we have an appropriate stable of antennas available in stock to support the feature and it's mechanics.

Please tell me it will be very clear in-game which antenna to pick for what purpose. "We don't know what this is for" and "We found this in the dumpster out back" is amusing and all but I'd rather have "this dish will reach out to Jool at its closest approach, and everywhere in Duna's orbit" or something similar.

- - - Updated - - -

"Broomstick" antenna will be useful as it can be folded on service module/station or be used as small relay antennas, independent with larger hull mounted ones. There is a place for all types and sizes.

I foresee "you cannot use this antenna while it is stowed" messages :)

The three you saw before (and reposted above) are your relay antennas. The new antenna is very small (0.5m diameter dish) and as many folks have noted, a kerbalized version of real antenna with features/homage to the hubble, apollo, and soyuz.

(edit)

So without going into too much detail (NDAs and such), the little foldable one you see in this post is meant to complement the other deployable antennas (i.e. the three existing ones you have in game now, only two of which actually have dishes).

(double edit)

Looks and sounds awesome. Keep up the good work.

They all look ugly, bulky and dirty, the latest one isn't an exception. It's like a disfigured brother of the AIES set.

Coming from the guy who wanted to keep the ugly, jagged, dirty old mk1 cockpit

Efficiency has the priority IMO and AIES iirc predates the texture sharing trend so I don't think it's a fair comparison. Also AIES parts are so shiny they look like plastic to me.

And even on top of that this new one doesn't look ugly to me I think it's everyone's knee jerk reaction to the darker color scheme.

They all look ugly, bulky and dirty, the latest one isn't an exception. It's like a disfigured brother of the AIES set.

Very constructive criticism...

[...]Efficiency has the priority IMO and AIES iirc predates the texture sharing trend so I don't think it's a fair comparison. Also AIES parts are so shiny they look like plastic to me.[...]

I think texture sharing is of utmost importance to keep that memory footprint low!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.