Let's push KSP!

RayneCloud

I\'m working on raising KSP\'s profile along with Axel via the Xenolith Alpha site. Hoping to get some more guides up soon.

I also sent the following e-mail to Eurogamer, one of my favourite gaming websites in the hope that they\'ll pick up the story.

First and foremost - I\'ve been a long time reader of your excellent site. There have been quite a few games that have been featured on your site (particularly from the indie genre) that I\'ve been subsequently drawn into because of your coverage.

So I\'d like to return the favour and introduce you to the gem that is Kerbal Space Program or KSP.

As gaming is your bread and butter you may very well have come across it already. I\'m writing to you just in case you haven\'t.

What awaits you is probably the most addictive sandbox game I\'ve ever played and it\'s still in alpha development. Without going into great detail the basic premise for the game as it stands is to build space shuttles and rockets from a set parts bin. The game is built on the Unity engine and uses PhysX to calculate forces on each individual part. Just snap them together in the hangar, be they wings, jet engines, rocket engines, parachutes et cetera and away you go. Hit the \'Launch\' button and you\'re taken to either the runway or launch pad for the start of your \'mission\'.

I\'ve never seen such scale in a video game. The planet you launch from is 600km in radius, it\'s moon orbits 11,400km away and the whole lot orbits a star 13million km distant. And it\'s all accessible to you and your creations - provided you can build a stable ship and have a basic understanding of how orbits work.

The game\'s developers (some guys from Mexico called Squad) have tried to make the game as accessible as possible to the masses. Despite the underlying orbital mechanics involved the dev\'s goal is to provide the player with the visual aids necessary to reach space without any complex maths.

I\'ve been following it\'s development for nearly a year now and since then feature after feature after feature has been added, with more on the way.

Due to my passion for the game, and my hopes of seeing its community grow I implore you to at least take a look at this incredible game and possibly even do a review or feature on it. It needs to be in the spotlight! I would like to point out that I am in no way affiliated with Squad or any of it\'s developmental team so I don\'t really stand to gain anything from your coverage. I\'m just a huge fan and would like to see some hard working indie developers garner some well-deserved attention for what is a brilliant creation.

You can find the game at it\'s site here: www.kerbalspaceprogram.com

It\'s a long shot I know, but if anyone wants to forward this message (or any versions of it) on to any other third parties be my guest!

Nice! :D

I just saw this video on the KSP home page, it\'s awesome! :D

I\'m definitely going to use this to push KSP, that\'s one of the best fan made trailers I\'ve seen (the other one is also a Mün landing).

so a few things

NASA has a kids site so if they do adopt the game than itll probably be there. the kids site is where i remember learning all the NASA stuff in elementary school.

it would be cool if we got some KSP merchandise. a few shirts would be awesome, and stuffed jeb\'s are always a must.

also i found it kind of funny that i was playing the game and someone from a club im in came up and told me he loves the game and play it often.

right now i really just want a shirt of jeb and in a little speech bubble it says 'I\'m Awesome' i feel that would be a great hit.

ill try to make videos of the game, im a little worried that i get the 'copyright infringement' thing and they take it down. would posting videos be under the 'Fair use Act' .

currently can anyone make really cool wallpaper for PC\'s and Mac\'s. that would be a great way to advertise

so a few things

NASA has a kids site so if they do adopt the game than itll probably be there. the kids site is where i remember learning all the NASA stuff in elementary school.

it would be cool if we got some KSP merchandise. a few shirts would be awesome, and stuffed jeb\'s are always a must.

also i found it kind of funny that i was playing the game and someone from a club im in came up and told me he loves the game and play it often.

right now i really just want a shirt of jeb and in a little speech bubble it says 'I\'m Awesome' i feel that would be a great hit.

ill try to make videos of the game, im a little worried that i get the 'copyright infringement' thing and they take it down. would posting videos be under the 'Fair use Act' .

currently can anyone make really cool wallpaper for PC\'s and Mac\'s. that would be a great way to advertise

Wait, doesn\'t the company in this case, Squad control if the video get\'s taken down? Anyways, just attempted to make my first KSP video... Not very successful, since my pc started to lag. This is probably because of getting 80 degree weather.(Yet, my computer has two fans and a cooling system and still lags at 80 degree weather.) For now, I might make a few wallpapers for Windows later.

I was talking with one of my old professors and showed him the game. So he said he would use KSP in the Intro to Aerospace Engineering to teach orbital mechanics and spacecraft design cause he thought it was really awesome. Might even have them do a project in it, so think that is pretty cool.

And hey, if you wanna put up another video I\'ve had positive reaction to the one I did for my senior design class. ;)

http://youtu.be/epBHkA63mms?hd=1

that video was awesome

i made 2 more videos about getting the part mod\'s munlet into space.

when you mentioned that you told your professor about this i was thinking it would be cool if we all told our science teachers about this game. so tell the physics teacher and the earth and space science teacher etr.

I just emailed one of my professors from my IPT class about using it to teach some high school kids. They go to a lot of high schools as part of the program and I suggested they can use Kerbal to demonstrate some principles of rocketry. I think they were already planning on using my video, but giving the kids some hands on time with the game could be really beneficial I think. So hopefully they will get to show the kids KSP and that will spark interest among them as well.

Is there any risk of the resultant rapid influx of new participants in the KSP community causing problems therein? Just playing devil\'s advocate as regards the push.

There already was a rapid influx of new participants. You were part of it.

It\'s not as bad as you\'d think.