[0.25] Lionhead Aerospace Inc. - Icarus v0.4 updated

Yogui87

Nice, but a bit small. Those presumably are habitat radiators, in my request, I meant ginormous ones for engines. :) I'm not saying those aren't nice, but it'd be great to also have something bigger available.

Nice, but a bit small. Those presumably are habitat radiators, in my request, I meant ginormous ones for engines. :) I'm not saying those aren't nice, but it'd be great to also have something bigger available.

I was thinking the same thing too, about the size. But, upon further reflection, if you placed them in 6x symmetry, one on each face of the truss, that would be a heckuva lotta radiator surface in a relatively compact area. :)

Then again, it would also be nice to have the ginormous option as well, lol. How about this, Yogui? Make a version where the base of the part is the same size, but instead of three radiators folding out you get one triple-size one with the same aspect ratio of width to length as the small ones. That'd be pretty huge, I'd think. Plus, this would kind of follow the trend you set with having 2 different sizes of Icarus solar panels.

Anyway, just a thought, throwing in my 2 cents. :)

Later! :D

Whoops, meant to ask Yogui: Hope the fixed trusses will be available soon? Unless I've missed a hotfix or something? I refer to the scaling problems with the essentially 'welded' 2- and 5-section truss pieces, where the sections of truss are too small, separated by gaps, and have the end attachment nodes out of place.

Or, alternately, if anyone has revised config code for the rescaleFactor and node placement data, I'm more than happy to just cut-n-paste it into my files from here. :)

Either way, again, merely a request.

:D

Edited by Neutrinovore

I think that Cupola will be for Icarus. The one in the ISS pack works fine (if anyone wants to add RPM support to it, contact me). The issue with the ISS is with the truss.

I think that Cupola will be for Icarus. The one in the ISS pack works fine (if anyone wants to add RPM support to it, contact me). The issue with the ISS is with the truss.

Oh I thought the truss he was referring to was for the iss pack. I guess that explains the mention of the cuppola I figured he was updating it too.

Wow, those parts look great! I might have to download them sometime. By the way, what happened to those drop pod style planetary base modules you showed us a long time ago?

I'm not satisfied of these pods: they are too "lite" (a kerbal can push them on Kerbin), I think this is a bug but I'm thinking about making them differently. May be I'll release a test version too see if gamers like it as it is.

I think that Cupola will be for Icarus.

Exactly

I'm not satisfied of these pods: they are too "lite" (a kerbal can push them on Kerbin), I think this is a bug but I'm thinking about making them differently. May be I'll release a test version too see if gamers like it as it is.

Send them over, I'm on a KSP spree, so I could run some preliminary tests for you. :) Perhaps I'll be able to fix the pods. Will also report/fix any bugs I can find.

Here the new update for Icarus, lots of new parts and fixes. Please report in this thread any bug or issue.

Download LH_Icarus_v0.4 Mediafire mirror

New update Icarus v0.4:- Add a new un-manned command pod

- Daedalus ship

- Add radiators (2 sizes)

- Add radial docking pod

- Add solar sail (2 parts)

- Add hatch to radial command pod

- Fix antenna lag

- Fix strut size

- Probe container docks are now closed by default

- lots of renamed parts

Warning: This update may brake vessels using Icarus parts.

Hey, glad to see more updates to the Icarus!

I had a chance to check out the new stuff a little bit last night (in the VAB, no flights yet), and I have a few comments. :)

First, the small docks (the ones numbered 1 - 6) still caused HUGE lag as soon as I tried to place more than two of them on the craft. Same for the radiators, unfortunately. :( These parts don't seem like they're especially heavy on textures, but then again I don't know much about that kind of thing. Also, the solar panels still cause a bit of lag, but not as much as before, so that's good.

Anyway, just wanted to note those few things. Thanks for all the new parts, though, Yogui, I've been intending to build a 'Grand Tour / Colony ship' based on the Icarus system for quite a while, and the continuing addition of new parts just keeps giving me more ideas and options. Keep up the great work, my friend!

:D

Now that you're finished with Icarus, how about an update to ESA pack? In particular, I'd really love to see:

Vulcain 1 engine for Ariane 5.

Both cryogenic upper stages for Ariane 5 (ECA and ECB).

Movable nozzle on Vinci engine.

Working ullage motors on Ariane 4 (those white bits on 2nd and 3rd stages, pointing downward).

Early Arianes (1,2 and 3, shouldn't be too much work).

Darker ATV panels (as seen here): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/ATV-3_approaches_the_International_Space_Station_1_cropped.jpg

Now that you're finished with Icarus, how about an update to ESA pack? In particular, I'd really love to see:

Vulcain 1 engine for Ariane 5.

Both cryogenic upper stages for Ariane 5 (ECA and ECB).

Movable nozzle on Vinci engine.

Working ullage motors on Ariane 4 (those white bits on 2nd and 3rd stages, pointing downward).

Early Arianes (1,2 and 3, shouldn't be too much work).

Darker ATV panels (as seen here): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/ATV-3_approaches_the_International_Space_Station_1_cropped.jpg

If you want the panels darker you can edit the texture it's not that hard.

EDIT- Yogui87 me for one would hate to see you change the panels they look great.

Edited by Mecripp2

I just noticed a problem with Icarus. It still uses TGA textures, which are horribly bugged in the latest KSP version. Could you convert those to MBM, for example? As is, the textures take up twice as much RAM as they should, and they have a chance of not loading at all (yes, it's that bad).

• 2 weeks later...
will this mod be updated for 0.90? or does it already work?

It works fine. Generally speaking, if a mod contains ONLY parts, without dependencies on any plugins (which is the case with the Icarus), a KSP update shouldn't adversely affect it. The things that can get horribly broken when Squad updates the game are the plugins, and therefore any parts which require a specialized plugin won't work. FYI. :)

However, note my post a little higher on this page regarding the pretty bad lag I experience with most of the animated parts. You may not have a problem, but for me they're basically unusable. To be clear, that's the solar panels, radiators, 'gravity wheel', and all of the docks. Anything that has an animation, as it turns out. FWIW.

:)

It'll be updated to (try) fix the lag due to moving parts. It seems to be due to the moving colliders.

With my computer, I run more than 40 FPS with these parts, so low end computers may have difficulties to run it correctly.

It'll be updated to (try) fix the lag due to moving parts. It seems to be due to the moving colliders.

With my computer, I run more than 40 FPS with these parts, so low end computers may have difficulties to run it correctly.

The stock animation module has a serious problem with moving colliders. I've spent hours trying to make it work but in the end the only conclusion I can come up with is that the stock animation module sucks. If you aren't adverse to using a plugin the firespitter animation module is a night and day difference from the stock one, it will get rid of all the fps lag.

Edited by raidernick

Are these remote tech 2 compatible? I am using the probe and rover pack (no problems yet, I really like how the telescope can actually collect science too, and the probe shells as well will be useful for landing when i combine with airbags from USI Survival mod. The models are very well done as well) I think its possible to configure via the remote tech 2 file but I was wondering if any values had already been made for them? I would really like to use these probes but I need my RT2 haha! As well do any of the scientific instruments / panels and such do anything or are they just for show?

Also of note there has been the odd probe (I remember that the Munar Orbiter can deploy its antennta but not panels in the VAB) that seems to have problems with its gear. Firespitter is fully updated I don't think it is that. Just thought I would mention it in case anybody else has had this.

Edited by DanBMan

Are these remote tech 2 compatible? I am using the probe and rover pack (no problems yet, I really like how the telescope can actually collect science too, and the probe shells as well will be useful for landing when i combine with airbags from USI Survival mod. The models are very well done as well) I think its possible to configure via the remote tech 2 file but I was wondering if any values had already been made for them? I would really like to use these probes but I need my RT2 haha! As well do any of the scientific instruments / panels and such do anything or are they just for show?

I did at one time but think from the last couple of updates from RT there is a problem like the hermes, I added a dish and antenna to it but RT got buggy with running more then 1 MODULE on it.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.