[0.25] Lionhead Aerospace Inc. - Icarus v0.4 updated

Yogui87

9 hours ago, Gaming Carrot said:

Thank you, sound good can't wait to try it out!

Ok So as I said it's not perfect but it is "useable"

Limitations are. Both Rover's steering doesn't return to center nor will they slow down on there own, If you run a full mission with the rovers atop rockets delivered to a planet. But they will work if you just build a rover and launch them from the VAB / SPH. The bobcat.dll is way out of date so you will get a "this mod is not compatible" warning. I suggest you use this

Compatibility Popup Blocker

The DSL will need 2 straight sections of cable now, not just one as the Skycrane has been converted thru it's cfg to be non IR due to other issues. Just mount 2 of the straight Skycrane cables upside down when building the entire rover. Added Ablator to DSL heatshield. Also fixed aero issue (I hope) on both parachutes. They may stop a bit harsh on Kerbin But should work well on Duna.

This isn't perfect, and is open to others to help. Just trying to keep Lionhead's work alive.

DSL Rover

Prometheus Rover

Edited by V8jester

Just now, Gaming Carrot said:

The mod works great now thanks. A problem I had is that it would overheat in dunas atmosphere and only the rover wheels. But otherwise well done. 

I might be able to fix that. So everything exploded all at once? Or the heat shield went first fallowed by everything else? You also need to be careful of the entry angle. It won't survive every reetry path.

oh and somethings I forgot to mention. I like to place a quantum strut between the rover and skycrane. This quantum strut is the. Toggled off with tye action group that also controls the IR cables. Keeps everything from twisting uncontrollably.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi folks,

Just a friendly reminder of a few points:

• Please don't ask for updates to a mod.  This violates 2.3.f of the forum guidelines.  If you want to stay up to date with a mod, just watch its thread.
  • Please don't attempt to moderate other users (for example, if you think they're breaking the above rule, or any other).  Just report the post so the moderator team can handle it.
  • Note that this is a fairly dead thread.  It's been nearly four months since the mod author last logged on to the forum.  So you may not want to count too much on getting a response there.

Thank you for your understanding.

• 1 month later...

Given how dead these mods seems to be, I might take it upon myself to see if I can get the parts polished up and working in the latest Kerbal, with the latest mods. The parts are CC licensed and the developer has not been on the forum in ages, but since he DID say a couple of times that he intended to be back, I want to tread carefully. I've PMed him, but I'll also declare my intent here, to be super-safe and see if Yogui87 or anyone else tells me not to. 

57 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

Update: I have gotten permission from Yogui87 to do this. Phew... this is going to be a big project. Expect me to be over in the mod development section begging for help with texturing XD

Good luck :P Think you might need it.... that and a looooot of duct tape

3 minutes ago, Lord_Chappington said:

Good luck :P Think you might need it.... that and a looooot of duct tape

Yeah. Some of the parts will be more usable than others.

The main thing I am concerned about is texturing. I've done simple texture work back in the old days (Descent, Oblivion, etc) so I have a basic understanding of the principle of "unwrapping" a 3d model into flat surfaces. I am confused when I look at actual texture images from KSP, though. Some of them are just a basic UV image that works how I'd expect it to... but some of them are almost entirely transparent, with 100% transparent areas that, when rendered in game, show up as colours. Doing anything with those textures tends to just make a huge ugly mess. I am genuinely confused. O.o This is going to take a while.

14 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

Just ask for help the best thing about these forums is people are willing to spend the time to help you

I plan to :) I just want to make an honest effort first.

2 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Update: I have gotten permission from Yogui87 to do this. Phew... this is going to be a big project. Expect me to be over in the mod development section begging for help with texturing XD

Hey man, I have a 1.0.5 "working" version of both the rovers if you would like to take a peak at what worked for me. The IR portions could really use some love also the wheel module is toast as it has been long since abandoned. But indeed. There are plenty of us willing to stick our fingers in the problem and make a bigger mess for you to clean up for us :wink:

Edited by V8jester

Just now, V8jester said:

Hey man, I have a 1.0.5 "working" version of both the rovers if you would like to take a peak at what worked for me. The IR portions could really use some love also the wheel module is toast as it has been long since abandoned. But indeed. There are plenty of us willing to stick our fingers in the problem and make a bigger mess for you to clean up for us :wink:

Yay! Together we can make a bigger mess than any of us alone! :)

Yeah, the wheels are a problem, and I'm not sure what to do about it. When you say "working", do you mean that you managed to get them working with the stock wheel mechanisms? If so, that would be awesome and I'd love to see it. Otherwise, I am not sure what to do about the Prometheus probe, but I was thinking that with a bit of resizing and ndoe tweaking, the Pandora parts could be made to fit on a standard Rovemax rover base.

32 minutes ago, Tokamak said:

Yay! Together we can make a bigger mess than any of us alone! :)

Yeah, the wheels are a problem, and I'm not sure what to do about it. When you say "working", do you mean that you managed to get them working with the stock wheel mechanisms? If so, that would be awesome and I'd love to see it. Otherwise, I am not sure what to do about the Prometheus probe, but I was thinking that with a bit of resizing and ndoe tweaking, the Pandora parts could be made to fit on a standard Rovemax rover base.

No it still worked on the old clever walrus dll. But using the rover body might not be a bad idea. And by "Working" I meant it works but when launched from a rocket then landed the wheels would freak out. So I'm on the same train of thought as you. If someone could modify the wheels work with the standard wheel module that would be the way to go. But this would probably require a metric ton of work to update. but apparently the links where still on this page :)

DSL Rover

Prometheus Rover

58 minutes ago, V8jester said:

No it still worked on the old clever walrus dll. But using the rover body might not be a bad idea. And by "Working" I meant it works but when launched from a rocket then landed the wheels would freak out. So I'm on the same train of thought as you. If someone could modify the wheels work with the standard wheel module that would be the way to go. But this would probably require a metric ton of work to update. but apparently the links where still on this page :)

DSL Rover

Prometheus Rover

Downloaded, and I will poke at them. What sorts of changes did you actually make?

2 hours ago, Tokamak said:

Downloaded, and I will poke at them. What sorts of changes did you actually make?

Cfg tweaks. Aero adjustments to chutes, removed IR module from skycrane. Adjusted node offsets and directions. Use three IR cables from skycrane to rover. Texture swap for heatshield. Added Ablator to heatshield.... And that's all I can remember right now.

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Cfg tweaks. Aero adjustments to chutes, removed IR module from skycrane. Adjusted node offsets and directions. Use three IR cables from skycrane to rover. Texture swap for heatshield. Added Ablator to heatshield.... And that's all I can remember right now.

Awesome, thanks. I will poke at it :)

3 minutes ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

I made some patches to the probes some time ago (added realchute, remoteTech, RealPlume and the 'new' Resource Scanner module) . They might be useful for you @Tokamak.

However I've never poked at the rovers.

I would love to see what you have, and incorporate it (with credit) if that makes sense to do :)

2 hours ago, Seth Kerman said:

the rover's body levitates, wheels sticking out from the heatshield, wheels not working.

Only works in 1.0.5 and it must be built in a specific order. I believe there is a craft file included.

On 02/08/2016 at 8:16 AM, Seth Kerman said:

the rover's body levitates, wheels sticking out from the heatshield, wheels not working.

The 1.1.3 version has a completely different wheel physics, so pretty much every wheel from mods made before that won't work.
This also might happen with many landing legs as FASA's Apollo Lunar Module and other mods.

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.