[0.25] Lionhead Aerospace Inc. - Icarus v0.4 updated

Yogui87

Hi, I'm trying to to a recreation of Voyager in Real Solar System, and I want to use the Hermes. It's a beautiful model, but unfortunately it appears that the initial orientation of the hinged booms interfere with a realistic solid upper stage as was used in the real mission (figure (right)).

Is there a simple way to have the initial positions of those two booms be about 20 degrees more open?

An alternative to having it deploy in the VAB is if they could edit the model such that it is in the correct arrangement by default.

Edit: oh, that's what you meant by Yogui away. Well crap.

Edited by Silpion

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, I may be have time to make a few updates brfore v 0.24.

First of all I want to make an overall view of all little bugs you could find. Let's start with probes and landers. Please tell me everything you think that must be fixed. I'll try to make it this week.

Then I'll make a new thread and release a Probe and lander pack: Valkyrie, Thor, Hermes, Zeus (and others later) in one pack.

Ok, I'll get on it. Out of my head: Valkyrie and Hermes have "animation lag". When you fly with animations not deployed, KSP will bog itself down. The lag goes away once the deployment animation finishes. It has to do with the recent animation changes and is also present on Kibo. Zeus is definitely underscaled, I'll have to check it it exhibits animation lag, but it didn't last time I've checked.

Oh, yeah, please get rid of MuMechLib.dll while you're at it. It's outdated, and it's functions are forked off in HullCam and IR. I've already tested your parts with those; they work fine.

OK, tested the Zeus. It works lovely with HullCam VDS replacing MuMechLib. :) Besides upscaling, no changes to it are really needed. I've launched it using the CSS, and it works lovely.

As I said, Hermes and Valkyrie have animation lag on their "pods", so they're pretty much unplayable. Thor seems to be fine, though I haven't flown an all-out mission yet.

How much do you want I rescale Zeus? Do you want it near to real life scale?

Can you zoom in and out with HullCam? I never use it before. I'll have a look to Zeus today.

About animation lag, I don't know how to solve that. Everything seems to be ok. I don't encouter lag during testing. What's your config Dragon01?

Make it 64% scale, like the Shuttle. Yeah, HullCam can zoom, and it also seems to be able to provide Science. You might want a look into it for the Zeus, should be a config-side change.

As for animation lag, it happens on "out of the box" configs, from the download in the OP. I don't know why you don't encounter it. I'll try a few things on my end. Check for differences between Thor and those two, and for common features between them and Kibo (also exhibits the lag). I've found that all laggy animations are caused by ModuleAnimateGeneric.

Pandora explodes when jettisoning the heat shield you have to increase the crash tolerances to stop it doing it, also would it be possible to not have the laser in the head of the pandora and use hullcam vds as a camera this will lose the dependency on having romfarers lazer mod also could the wheel animation be switched to standard squad stuff please

Make it 64% scale, like the Shuttle. Yeah, HullCam can zoom, and it also seems to be able to provide Science. You might want a look into it for the Zeus, should be a config-side change.

As for animation lag, it happens on "out of the box" configs, from the download in the OP. I don't know why you don't encounter it. I'll try a few things on my end. Check for differences between Thor and those two, and for common features between them and Kibo (also exhibits the lag). I've found that all laggy animations are caused by ModuleAnimateGeneric.

If you remove the ModuleAnimateGeneric line from the cfg files does it run without lag?

What are your PC caracteristics? Have you got a low end PC?

I tried with Hullcam, seems to be good. Just need to fix a few things. I DL the CSS to make tests and resize Zeus to fit in the cargo bay^^.

No, my PC is a midrange gaming rig, it runs KSP without FPS problems. Also, removing ModuleAnimateGeneric did remove the lag, so the problem is the animation itself.

I've narrowed it down to the antenna animations on both probes. Valkyrie's landing legs work fine. Also, none of the science experiments exhibit animation lag. I will try enabling the antennas via ModuleLandingLeg (which I converted Valkyrie's legs to, it's better than ModuleAnimateGeneric for that) and see if that helps.

EDIT: Tested it. Any mention of Hermes or Valkyrie's antenna animations in the .cfg results in animation lag. This means there's something wrong with how you set it up in Unity. Compare Valkyrie's landing leg animation (working) to it's antenna animation (not working). Also, I dimly recall something about Devo running into the bug, and managing to fix it. Could you PM him and ask?

Also, some additional minor bugs:

Thor parachute is dark gray, I think it should be white.

Valkyrie's sample collector is called "Valkyrie Capsule" and placed in "structural" tab. Works fine otherwise, though.

Edited by Guest

I think that prometheus lacks something.. what it coudl be? Ahh heatshield :)

By the way, its "pyramide" might be very usefull if it was bigger - for sending own players custom rovers, or even other things.

have you thought of releasing some of these in various sizes Yogui87?

I think that prometheus lacks something.. what it coudl be? Ahh heatshield :)

By the way, its "pyramide" might be very usefull if it was bigger - for sending own players custom rovers, or even other things.

have you thought of releasing some of these in various sizes Yogui87?

You can easily resize the nacelle using "rescaleFactor =" in the cfg file. The main issue is the airbags collider which might collide with your rover parts (if your rover isn't one-part). I'll check for a solution when I'll update Prometheus.

I can't get MJ to land any of these craft. I think it's the "Control from Here" orientation. When I press "Pro-Grade" on Smart ASS the craft points Retro and vice versa.

Which craft are you talking about? Some of them have the command pod upside down like in reality. You have to right click the engine part and select "control from here".

For example, if you try to lauch Thor probe using the cruise stage, right click the cruise stage and select "control from here". Now you can use MechJeb.

If these tips didn't help you give me more details.

About the update of the probes and landers,it's almost finished.

Which craft are you talking about? Some of them have the command pod upside down like in reality. You have to right click the engine part and select "control from here".

For example, if you try to lauch Thor probe using the cruise stage, right click the cruise stage and select "control from here". Now you can use MechJeb.

If these tips didn't help you give me more details.

About the update of the probes and landers,it's almost finished.

It's the Valkyrie and the Thor.

Back to the game...

[TABLE=width: 1000]

[TR]

[TD]6bm4g9oam313a4kfg.jpg[/TD]

[TD=align: left][0.23] Landers and Probes Pack

This pack merges all Lionhead Aerospace Inc. probes and landers in a single new pack. My "best downloader" mods (30k cumulated downloads) have been updated to KSP latest version and many little changes have been done for a better experience.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Go to the first page to donwload.

New mod updates are coming.

Awesome. :) Will soon download and test. Are you going to update the ISS parts now? I'd be really glad to have them working again, and those new ones (Z1, Pirs, Cupola) released.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.