[0.25] Lionhead Aerospace Inc. - Icarus v0.4 updated

Yogui87

So i tried to land on Duna. ( with my not so up2date addons )

Crashed a few times, changed deploy drag on chute (it basicly did nothing on airobreaking) and landed succesfully a few hours later!

Love this addon! Saw that there was a update so i must try again now haha!

sunset @ Duna (rover cam)

f24s5c.png

sunset @ Duna (overview with bugged cart)

2w23pmo.png

Keep up the good work!

Wow!! Beautiful pics from Duna. If the atmosphere is too thin for the parachutes, try the Mk2 Capsule (with boosters) to land.

I don't try to land on another planet yet, so may be the mod need another update to feet with the different atmospheres.

PS: Let's suscribe from this thread to be informed of the new updates.

The only problem is that the skycrane is extremely unbalanced. So even though i turn the SAS on, the entire thing is spinning around (especially at full throttle) which makes it almost impossible to land without using mechjeb. Is there any way to fix this?

Other than that this is a great mod.

The only problem is that the skycrane is extremely unbalanced. So even though i turn the SAS on the entire thing is spinning around (especially at full throttle) which makes it almost impossible to land. Is there any way to fix this?

The only problem is that the skycrane is extremely unbalanced. So even though i turn the SAS on the entire thing is spinning around (especially at full throttle) which makes it almost impossible to land. Is there any way to fix this?

I'm having similar balance issues... the capsule seems really top-heavy and even on a smaller rocket, keeping it on track is really tough. This has cropped up since the 0.17 release

I know these issues and working on it. Using MechJeb is the easiest way to land for now.

I have another question regarding the stability of the combination of the Skycrane, Capsule, and rover.

When I launch a rocket based on the "Prometheus capsule Mk1" with the ASAS replaced with MechJeb, the rocket seems to be both "sluggish" and extremely wobbly when in any of the autopilot modes, but the problem disappeared when i attached strut braces from the capsule heatshield to the rover command pod. Looking into the problem further, I noticed that the "skycrane winch" and the decoupler between it and the rover seem to be the parts causing the wobbling. I think that those parts may need to have their mass increased to around 0.1, as that seems to be the lower bound for stability for parts that have more than one attachment node to them (fuel tanks, decouplers, tricouplers, etc.)

Also, I was wondering if you were going to update the various liquid fueled engines to the new system that uses Isp, instead of a flat fuel consumption number.

I have another question regarding the stability of the combination of the Skycrane, Capsule, and rover.

When I launch a rocket based on the "Prometheus capsule Mk1" with the ASAS replaced with MechJeb, the rocket seems to be both "sluggish" and extremely wobbly when in any of the autopilot modes, but the problem disappeared when i attached strut braces from the capsule heatshield to the rover command pod. Looking into the problem further, I noticed that the "skycrane winch" and the decoupler between it and the rover seem to be the parts causing the wobbling. I think that those parts may need to have their mass increased to around 0.1, as that seems to be the lower bound for stability for parts that have more than one attachment node to them (fuel tanks, decouplers, tricouplers, etc.)

Also, I was wondering if you were going to update the various liquid fueled engines to the new system that uses Isp, instead of a flat fuel consumption number.

This is a well known issue I try to fix, I didn't think about the mass: may be it's the solution. I'll try.

About the new fuel system, I'm waiting about official documentation to update it. I don't think it'll change many things.

Yeah, it dosent lower. its already lowered :)

Just one question (or two):

1: When will this be good for 0.17? I saw a pic of the "bugged out" rover.

2: Why did you wait untill you touched down to seperate the skycrane? Everyone knows that the skycrane seperates just before touchdown (just as i do)

This is a well known issue I try to fix, I didn't think about the mass: may be it's the solution. I'll try.

About the new fuel system, I'm waiting about official documentation to update it. I don't think it'll change many things.

I'm pretty sure the mass of the winch decoupler is the issue. I cfg-edited it to 0.1 (it was 0.0 before) and MechJeb had none of the wobbling and control issues it was having before. It still wasn't perfect, but it was definitely controllable, where it really wasn't before.

Yeah, it dosent lower. its already lowered :)

Just one question (or two):

1: When will this be good for 0.17? I saw a pic of the "bugged out" rover.

2: Why did you wait untill you touched down to seperate the skycrane? Everyone knows that the skycrane seperates just before touchdown (just as i do)

1. Yes it's comptible with 0.17, I'll change it in the title. The bug was due to the new version of cart plugin (already fix).

2. You're right but I fill more sure to wait to touchdown before releasing the skycrane.

1. Yes it's comptible with 0.17, I'll change it in the title. The bug was due to the new version of cart plugin (already fix).

2. You're right but I fill more sure to wait to touchdown before releasing the skycrane.

What about the bug I reported above? Is that also fixed?

Here a new update to fix some of the issues described in the previous posts. See more informations in the patch content on the first page.

hey i hit a problem when i reach about 7000m the camera bugs and its go all over the place and i can't fly with the bad camera can you tell me fix please?

It sounds like a MultiJoint plugin bug that occures sometimes at high speed.

Here a new update to fix some of the issues described in the previous posts. See more informations in the patch content on the first page.

It sounds like a MultiJoint plugin bug that occures sometimes at high speed.

I'm actually having the same problem it sounds like. I'll try to describe it in more detail. After about 15 to 20 seconds of flying the camera moves down and focuses on a lower part of the rocket, like if you were to scroll down in the VAB to look at a lower stage, and the rocket behaves as if the place the the camera is centered on is the center of mass. This can actually occur multiple times, it has for me atleast, until the camera reaches a point that it's centered ~50 meters below the bottom of the rocket again the rocket behaves as if where the camera is centered is the center of mass. It seems to only happen when the multi-joint parts are equipped on the ship. I haven't tested whether this happens in v4.1.1 yet but I'm about to start. I'll post if it happens again. Other then this new bug I love this pack, thanks for making it!!

I'm actually having the same problem it sounds like. I'll try to describe it in more detail. After about 15 to 20 seconds of flying the camera moves down and focuses on a lower part of the rocket, like if you were to scroll down in the VAB to look at a lower stage, and the rocket behaves as if the place the the camera is centered on is the center of mass. This can actually occur multiple times, it has for me atleast, until the camera reaches a point that it's centered ~50 meters below the bottom of the rocket again the rocket behaves as if where the camera is centered is the center of mass. It seems to only happen when the multi-joint parts are equipped on the ship. I haven't tested whether this happens in v4.1.1 yet but I'm about to start. I'll post if it happens again. Other then this new bug I love this pack, thanks for making it!!

Whenever I see this problem the first thing I do is make sure there are no wheels touching anything else in a design. This was a problem awhile back with the cart plugin, and if your wheels at any time bumped into any other part of your rocket during liftoff (this includes jostling around during a bumpy ascent) you would quickly find your camera view way behind the rocket.

See if that helps. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.