[0.25] Lionhead Aerospace Inc. - Icarus v0.4 updated

Yogui87

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to report an issue I have been trying to track down. during an assent with the rover inverted (rover is the parent part) and controlling from a probe core which is right side up. the rocket once out of atmosphere will begin rotating back and forth uncontrollably unless sas is turned off. Now if you install a strut between the rover and the Pandora shell, this stops. What is happening is the rover is rotating under the skycrane back and forth and is confusing sas. Is there a way to firm up the connection of the cables through cfg editing? And if not, maybe this could be something to trouble shoot for the next update. In the mean time a strut seems to do the trick for those that may be having a similar issue

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I second that 1.0 appears to crash upon loading with the DSL Pandora. I'm going to tinker a bit and see if I can get it working on my own, but would really love to see a 1.0 update. Really great work.

Please come back Yogui your work is sorely sorely missed

Oh_captain,_my_captain.gif

I don't forget KSP. I need to find some free time to update my mods to 1.0. I promise it will be done ASAP. Send me all the issues you could find so it make me work faster.

Thanks to all Lionhead customers^^.

I see a lot of other threads talking about "node attachment issues" apparently they are now defined in the .cfg also I have noticed just playing with updating Astronomers Visual pack on my own. Trying to load large and sometimes small .png files tends to crash the game. After converting the bigger textures to .dds it loaded much faster and much more reliably. I know that's not much to go on, but I hope that helps.

Edit: The change to the nodes is apparently a flip. If it was attached positively now it's negative. Or at least that is how I am updating some (this) mod on my own. (I will not redistribute though, This is yogui87's mod) The nodes simply will not attach. But after going into the .cfg and adding a (-) in front of the first node axis it will now attach properly. I am by no means an expert just a dabbler. But Albert VDS linked me to a helpful article

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation#Node_Definitions

And on a side note, I converted your textures to .dds for my install and the Pandora will load just fine into 1.0 - The IR cables also work with the latest version of Infernal Robotics 0.21.1 but the engine and node attachment issues appear to be the biggest hurtle.

Edit 5/1/15 I managed to get an assembled and working DSL rover in 1.0 with .dds textures. The issues I found during my tinkering are. The engines are very overpowered. With the new aero model you don't need as much power but they do work just fine. Also the node attachments need to be inverted, The new node attachment system is "more strict" per a few posts I have read. Now I am fighting issues with the parachute and the heat shield. The parachute / capsule tries to fly in a lateral direction during decent. It's as though the pod is acting more like a wing than a brick. The parachute will deploy but at a 45 degree angle to the pod. (regardless of sas or rcs) And when you decouple the heat shield it will fall at a slower rate than the pod and roll out from under the pod, then fly up in the air and begin to flip through the air. After the heat shield is dropped the remainder of the pod will continue to fall in a predominantly lateral manner. But once you drop the skycrane out of the pod, the skycrane, winch, decouplers and engines all work like a charm. Mechjeb soft landings and booster separation of the skycrane after landing. The rover drives and all the animations and science experiments appear to work as well. I hope I'm not sticking my nose where it doesn't belong, I'm just a really big fan of this mod and want to assist in any way I can.

Edited by V8jester

• 1 month later...
do any of these mod work in 1.0.2

Most likely they do not. They will be overpowered, have node issues, the fairings wont work, overpriced, not integrated into tech tree properly anymore, and those are the things I know will be broken without installing. Hopefully Yogui will get some free time soon. He mentioned two posts earlier that he just needed time so maybe wait until then.

Which ones you want to work as most still do there maybe somethings not to your liking like as sp1989 has pointed out but that doesn't mean there broken.

EDIT- I have had LH MEM and Prometheus Solar Rover in but there is some bugs with Prometheus

Edited by Mecripp2

does the probes and rovers work in the current version? I dont care if theyre overpowered, as it can be adjusted easily

The curiosity rover needs a lot of tweaking. I can post my cfg file tweaks I did for myself here when I get back home.

The Skycrane no longer works properly. It causes half your rocket to disappear on save / load. But removing the IR module and tweaking node locations, as well as using a second middle cable. I managed to get it working for myself. Also added ablation to the heatshield and fixed the aero issues. It wont fall properly or deploy the parachute correctly. And finally with the new category added for IR parts I moved items around in the categories so they didn't occupy two locations. I still think it needs more work but it's usable with the cfg tweaks I made.

The curiosity rover needs a lot of tweaking. I can post my cfg file tweaks I did for myself here when I get back home.

The Skycrane no longer works properly. It causes half your rocket to disappear on save / load. But removing the IR module and tweaking node locations, as well as using a second middle cable. I managed to get it working for myself. Also added ablation to the heatshield and fixed the aero issues. It wont fall properly or deploy the parachute correctly. And finally with the new category added for IR parts I moved items around in the categories so they didn't occupy two locations. I still think it needs more work but it's usable with the cfg tweaks I made.

Well, I guess I'll have to wait for that one then. But the probes works as they should?

Ok, Here are the cfg files to make the DSL Pandora work in 1.0.2

This is by no means "perfect" but its enough to make it work - you still need the original download plus these cfg file tweaks

Changes are:

All nodes set to proper top and bottom designations

Skycrane is no longer an IR component as well as bottom node has been moved

You now need two "middle cable" sections placed upside down between skycrane and rover

Aero fixes as capsule tried to fly and not fall

Better Engine balance (quick run though not perfect)

Parachute Aero fix (again a quick run though not perfect)

Part category locations have changed

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8xWfykJ5pY_YzFVUHhldC1yam8/view?usp=sharing

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.