Phantom yaw?

Welp, I ran into this this bug with a "lightly" modded install, but it persisted after I switched to pure 32 bit stock. It's also doubtful the mods were the cause, as I see no way any of them could affect control input.

I was playing through a Jool-5 mission when I noticed my craft seemed to be spinning for no apparent reason. In an attempt to locate the source of the problem, I noticed that my power usage was a bit high, even after turning off SAS, so I wondered if the problem might be reaction wheels being wonky. Sure enough, after turning off all reaction wheels on the craft, my power usage went down and the spinning stopped.

It would appear my ship's getting yaw input for no apparent reason, even after turning off SAS. I'm not touching my keyboard at all.

DoNTEIv.png

But wait, it gets weirder. I launched the Kerbal X to see if it was just that ship - sure enough, no phantom yaw. When I reverted the Kerbal X to the VAB, this is what happened.

WdEem63.png

So ... anyone have any idea what's going on?

EDIT: Nope, quicksaving and quickloading doesn't work.

EDIT 2: The VAB bug seems to work in mysterious ways. If the first save file I load is an infected one, it occurs and persists even after switching to clean save files, and if the first save file I load is a clean one, the VAB works fine and this persists even after switching to infected save files.

EDIT 3: Ah yes. Save files and other things. Here's my player.log and here's my persistent.sfs. This is all in sandbox mode so I'm not sure if the failure to load the tech tree upon entering the VAB is normal behavior.

Edited by Whovian

That's extremely odd, especially the behaviour of the clean v.s. infected save files. Just on a hunch, are the infected save file(s) ones that you created while mods were installed? Or were some of the clean files also created while the mod(s) were installed?

Sometimes mods make tiny changes to the save file that are really hard to notice, and removing them might not always remove whatever glitch they brought up in the save data.

Hi Whovian, your editor issue is actually caused by addons.

CAREER

{

TechTreeUrl = GameData/ModuleManager.TechTree

StartingFunds = 25000

StartingScience = 0

StartingReputation = 0

FundsGainMultiplier = 1

RepGainMultiplier = 1

ScienceGainMultiplier = 1

FundsLossMultiplier = 1

RepLossMultiplier = 1

}

That line needs to be changed back to TechTreeUrl = GameData/Squad/Resources/TechTree.cfg for it to work :)

As for the phantom yaw, as you were able to stop the yaw by disabling your reaction wheels, and because the yaw is visible in the input sliders, I suspect you need to try Alt+X next time to cancel all trim.

Hi Whovian, your editor issue is actually caused by addons.

That line needs to be changed back to TechTreeUrl = GameData/Squad/Resources/TechTree.cfg for it to work :)

As for the phantom yaw, as you were able to stop the yaw by disabling your reaction wheels, and because the yaw is visible in the input sliders, I suspect you need to try Alt+X next time to cancel all trim.

Thanks a lot; all problems are solved! Strange; I tried Alt-X before and it didn't work then.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.