Question for anyone familiar with KAS/KIS mod

Hello, if you are familiar with the mod(s), you should know that you can't move parts that are greater then 1 ton with a kerbal, with the exception of having multiple kerbals close to the object; increasing the limit by 1 ton per kerbal. The 2 heaviest parts I need to move are 4.5 tons, so I need at least 5 kerbals around the object to move it next to what I want to attach it to; a lander that needs adjustments in order to land and return from Laythe.

This is extremely difficult considering the fact that you can't control multiple kerbals at once, and the vicinity the kerbal(s) need to be around the object is quite small. Does anyone have any advice on how to move things this way? Once I switch to a different kerbal, one has already moved too far away from the object to help, and I can see me ripping my hair out constantly switching back an forth.

Is there a way to alter the mod to increase the weight limit in regards to grabbing and moving objects? There has to be a method to this madness :huh:

There is no turning back from this mission; I already sent out both a refueling vessel and a parts vessel to the transport ship around Laythe that is carrying the lander that needs adjustments (2 FL-800 tanks, 2 radial decuplers, 2 aerospike engines and 2 aeronose caps)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b659h6fty2h24e/2015-09-13_00002.jpg?dl=0

If it comes down to it, I suppose I could launch another craft bringing parachutes to the inventory vessel, land my lander, then land the inventory vessel next to it, somehow get all 5 kerbals down there too, and attach the parts on land (assuming they can reach the place on the craft i want to attach things to) so I avoid having one kerbal drift off too far away from the part in space while switching back and forth, but that is the absolute last thing to do and it gives me a headache just thinking about it. Any advice?

I will probably also post this in the KIS thread; the KAS thread is closed, probably because its at 200 pages?

Edited by fireblade274

I was going to say put a ladder, but you cannot switch from a kerbal that is attached to a ladder. I was thinking command seats, winches, arms lol but may require another vessel for all that. Can't really think of anything useful, sorry!

if you have enough kerbals around to grab something, you can place in the kerb's inventory. the part gets flagged as 'Carried' (similar to the Equipped flag). you can then walk/waddle around, climb ladders, ect.

its just the initial grab that requires assistance. from then on, everything should work normally.

if you have enough kerbals around to grab something, you can place in the kerb's inventory. the part gets flagged as 'Carried' (similar to the Equipped flag). you can then walk/waddle around, climb ladders, ect.

its just the initial grab that requires assistance. from then on, everything should work normally.

Are you sure about that? If that's true it's awesome!

Using cables to not let kerbals fly could work...

I've done a quick check.

Go to \Gamedata\KIS\.. there should be a settings.cfg

EvaInventory

{

inventoryKey = tab

rightHandKey = x

helmetKey = j

slotsX = 2

slotsY = 4

slotSize = 50

itemIconResolution = 128

selfIconResolution = 128

maxVolume = 300

openSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryOpen

closeSndPath = KIS/Sounds/inventoryClose

}

That will allow you to change the maximum volume the kerbals can carry in their inventory

EvaPickup

{

grabKey = g

attachKey = h

allowPartAttach = false

allowStaticAttach = false

allowSnapAttach = false

maxDistance = 3

grabMaxMass = 1

dropSndPath = KIS/Sounds/drop

attachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/attachPart

detachPartSndPath = KIS/Sounds/detachPart

attachStaticSndPath= KIS/Sounds/attachStatic

detachStaticSndPath = KIS/Sounds/detachStatic

draggedIconResolution = 64

}

Set MaxDistance and grabMaxMass to a higher value to allow single kerbal to carry more and further

I did not try this, but that's how it should work.

Remember to redo this after every update of KIS

I tried doing something similar..... in space where my kerbals kept drifting away before I could move the part I needed them all for.

One thing I learned, though I dont know how helpful it would be: If you are taking something out of a container, one kerbal can PLACE an object into the game world - and even attach it - no matter how heavy it is. This can only be done once. Example: one kerbal can pull a large command pod out of a box and attach it solo if he does so without dropping the item first. Then its just a matter of getting the box as close to the attachment point as you can.

If all else fails and modding configs to make your team into Superkermans isn't your thing, you could also try grabbing Extraplanetary Launchpads and sending your kerbals a recycler, a workshop, a launchpad, and maybe some spare rocket parts if some stuff from your ship is too heavy to move to said recycler. Re-launch corrected return vehicle from that launchpad.

When did this happen? As recently as 1.0.2 I launched a ship with a Kerbal on a ladder. I couldn't have done that without switching to the ship with the Kerbal on the ladder.

How did you manage that?

I was building my Minmus mining base, I put bill on the ladder on the 2.5m cabin hatch, and it said I couldn't switch when attached to a ladder! So I perched him atop of the lander. This was recent for me in 1.04

I'd be changing cfgs lol nothing wrong with slightly modding a mod lol

How did you manage that?

I was building my Minmus mining base, I put bill on the ladder on the 2.5m cabin hatch, and it said I couldn't switch when attached to a ladder! So I perched him atop of the lander. This was recent for me in 1.04

I'd be changing cfgs lol nothing wrong with slightly modding a mod lol

No, you can't SAVE with kerbal on a ladder. You can switch just fine.

You can not switch to a ship more than 2 km away, because that would involve unloading your current enviroment and saving persist file.

Use [ ] buttons to switch to a ship nearby. (LOL)

If u have some mod that autosaving if you try to switch -that is it.

Edited by tbarcello

I always include the short ladder sections in my inventories for this reason. It's hard enough to let one kerbal hover long enough to detach/attach a part, and much much harder for two or more... Just have an engineer attach five small ladder sections or 2 or 3 retractable ladders before the other four go on eva. It works as long as you use [ or ] to switch vessels and you don't need to time warp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.