In Career Mode, Squad's "Asteroid Day" Mod makes ALL the rescue mission female ONLY

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/124383-Rescued-kerbals-are-all-female

Noticed this post, aside from the SAME behaviour in my game: with Asteroid Day in my game, any rescue mission is ONLY populated by female kerbalnauts.

Made some tests: accepted a MALE rescue mission without Asteroid Mission in the game.

Made the randevouz, popped out from the "anomaly-map listed" capsule a male kerbal... reverted...

Added "Asteroid Day", made randevouz, same name for the kerbal, but NOW turned female... reverted...

Removed "Asteroid Day", made rendevouz, same name, again male kerbal, but now left it out in space near my craft (from an "anomaly" now he is listed as "kerbal in space", for the game, in my persistence file). Back to KSC, game closed, added again "Asteroid Day", restarted the game: the SAME kerbal is MALE, rescued and landed. Mission accomplished...

... but from now onward, "only female in rescue contracts" behaviour started again.

The single parts added are not really affected: if this behaviour could be disturbig (to have "free astronauts" in the roster of both gender) is possible to just remove the .dll (Obviously, asteroid mapping in space will not work... the new telescope turn out as a simple "science experiment", without the added feature), eventually to save the cool new probe part or antenna, or if they already used in any important craft on mission...

... but it is a real shame loose the feature: any possibility by squad to a "fix"??? (Like "Asteroid Day v.1.2"?? :P)

Edited by Araym

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, if the name is not changing, but the visible gender is upon loading the EVA vessel, then the kerbal might still be generating as male, and it's just loading the wrong model. I've performed a quick test to confirm that as far as the kerbal itself goes, these are generating 50/50 male/female, so it could indeed be loading the wrong model. This being dependent upon Sentinel being installed is quite odd, as Sentinel is entirely self contained.

I need more information to diagnose this issue. After you rescue a kerbal that swaps genders when installing the Sentinel mod, does its true gender as represented in the save file and the astronaut complex represent its visible appearance as it was when you rescued it?

I would be very interested to see the save games involved in this issue. Both before and after a rescue kerbal swaps genders in this way.

EDIT: Alright I've done some further testing, and with purely the stock game, and Asteroid Day, I am getting male tourists, male rescues, and they stay male when approaching them. (In addition to female tourists and rescues.) I'm going to need a list of every mod you guys are utilizing, in addition to saves, and possibly logs to further diagnose this issue.

Edited by Arsonide

I have located the source of the issue. It seems to be caused by having an uneven number of contracts defined, by addons or otherwise. Any contract addon can cause it, but since Asteroid Day adds an odd number of contracts - one, it is likely to cause it. This is why some people experience it, and others do not. Even people with Asteroid Day might see males if they have other contract mods installed that are evening out their definitions.

The fix for this will be in the next patch. However, in the mean time, I have come up with a small plugin here that you guys can plop in your GameData folder to fix it. Keep in mind that this is a temporary fix, but it adds a single blank contract definition to even out your definition count, until a more permanent solution is in place. Also keep in mind, that if you add more contract addons after the fix, you may need to remove it to fix the bug again.

For people that are experiencing this issue, please let me know if the fix helps you.

For people that are experiencing this issue, please let me know if the fix helps you.

Hi Arsonide,

I don´t have Asteroid Day installed but had only female Kerbals from rescue missions (so far eleven). After installing your patch first rescue mission was a male Kerbal :D. Thanks for the hotfix!

As I understand, contract packs cause the problem. I have installed the following packs:

-Anomaly Surveyor

-Scansat Lite (Contract pack configurator also says Scansat Official)

The list of my mods is pretty long and still changing, if you need it, I will do my best to provide it. I might also edit this post as soon as I get a bit further and acquire more rescue missions.

I noticed this a while back..... but honestly, I don't really care. So I have an all female crew, except Jeb, Bill, and Bob.... doesn't bother me, as long as it doesn't break the game.

I wouldn´t care either but the models for the female kerbals seem broken (KSP 1.0.4) which is a bit of a pain as they tend to roll away and vanish in a dustcloud at the smallest slope especially in low gravity environments.

Kerbal greetings,

dr_evil

I don´t have Asteroid Day installed but had only female Kerbals from rescue missions (so far eleven). After installing your patch first rescue mission was a male Kerbal :D. Thanks for the hotfix!

Right, the problem can be caused by any mod that adds odd numbers of contract definitions. I'm glad the temporary fix has helped you while I put together a more permanent solution.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.