Engine Failure on Takeoff (V1 Cut) (1.0.4)

Thanks for the F3 screenshot DrMarlboro. That entry looked extremely stable (until it wasn't..), or maybe just good pilot technique.

No problem. The biggest problem was speed. If I had throttled down things probably would have been fine and I could have probably flown until I ran out of fuel.. and I'm a terrible pilot. But who wants to throttke down? I do wonder if ksp aerodynamics are realistic enough to take the forward swept wings terrible yaw stability into account though.. I might have to try again with rearward swept wings to find out..

Got to ask, are parachutes allowed in case of a landing gear fail?

Yes. The rules state you must launch horizontally from the runway. The craft must also be capable of a horizontal landing on the runway.

However, a landing of any sort is not required at all. Intentionally jettisoning landing gear is not allowed.

So you may absolutely mount parachutes, and use them as well, as long as it looks like the plane could have landed horizontally.

There are several light aircraft manufacturers which use parachute recovery as an emergency system. The one that comes to mind is Cirrus aircraft, which uses a system called Ballistic Recovery System (BRS). An explosive charge deploys the parachute. On landing the entire aircraft acts as a giant 'crumple zone', further absorbing energy during the 'landing'. The aircraft is essentially totaled after a BRS recovery, although the occupants are generally able to walk away from the wreckage. It's not 100% foolproof, but has been proven to work in most conditions.

Anyway, I do not consider mounting or using parachutes cheating, this challenge isn't about grading your landings. Please don't intentionally stage away your landing gear, but feel free to use alternate landing systems as you wish.

Edited by RexKramer

Here is my test flight.

ApRtw

- - - Updated - - -

Reupload

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="ApRtw"><a href="//imgur.com/ApRtw">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

- - - Updated - - -

Try Again.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Updated leaderboard today, with K3achas entry setting new altitude and speed records. Congratulations! noname117 still holds the distance record..

littlebuddy0 posted a successful entry, which looks like it flew well.

Finally, jrb596 posted his entry with a lifting body research plane. This was his first forum post. Welcome to the forums! And I'm honored that your first post was to this challenge, thank you jrb596!

I keep track of the entries in a spreadsheet. Thanks to K3achas, I had to widen the craft name column significantly. 'Demonic Goat Cheese Consiar'? If there was a category for longest craft name, K3achas would be in the lead.

Untitled Space Craft #293

This is moded with FAR and that cockpit from one of the aircraft extension packs I have.

Highest altitude 31,868 m

Highest speed 1573 m/s

Range of super cruise @mach 4 : ~3000 km

Landing is extremely difficult because of lack of control and general low lift. flawless landing is probably doable with empty tanks though.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Robet.G

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.