Upcoming MK3 Ramp having Tweakable Height?

So looking at This I was thinking that the little bit of flooring at the end of the ramp in the picture appears to be underneath the normal-sized bit and I was thinking that we might be able to adjust it. If we can't PLEASE OH PLEASE make is so we can. Can we get a post from SQUAD about this?

Edited by Rath

The fuselage height above the ground is different from plane to plane. It mainly depends on gear placement. This in turn mainly depends on the stability of the aircraft. It has to be stable enough not to fall over, but the aircraft should be able to rotate for takeoff.

At the same time a ramp that does not meet the ground is not very useful (cant drive rovers inside). Therefore ajustable height will be important.

Idea: Make the ramp not open to a fixed angle but instead open until it hits the ground (with a max angle of course).

Why? Isn't that how landing gears with suspension work?

we already have landing gear that (if the gravity is low enough) nearly pushes a ship into Orbit while releasing. The dev's cannot handle that. I rather build a ship that has exactly the height needed rather than having the next frog-a-like comic-jumping around on minmus because the door pushes my ship into Orbit or flails it over....

And even so, it is still a very complicated suggestion. It would be really difficult to implement such features with adjustability.

I think it's better that the cargo bay automatically stops when it touches the ground instead.

- - - Updated - - -

And besides, even if the height were adjustable, how would you be able to tell if the adjustment is enough to let the door impact the ground without lifting the plane off?

I always imagined a MK3 ramp that would stop when it hits a solid body. Basically how the landing leg's shock absorders (I couldn't find a better word for them) work, except it would automatically lock itself after touching the ground, buldings, anything solid.

Edited by Veeltch

And besides, adjustable floor length is even more vulnerable for bugs.

There has to be a better solution, at least.

- - - Updated - - -

And even so, the thing's already modelled. Making the floor at the end adjustable seems to be either totally unrealistic, or require an extreme redo.

At least the idea of stopping it when it hits the ground or making the range of the lowering adjustable is less prone to bugs.

And even so, it is still a very complicated suggestion. It would be really difficult to implement such features with adjustability.

Not really. The Adjustable Landing Gear mod does it (which is another mod they need to implement, because trying to get landing gear just perfect on a plane is annoying.)

And besides, even if the height were adjustable, how would you be able to tell if the adjustment is enough to let the door impact the ground without lifting the plane off?

You would allow it to be tweakable in flight. It's feasible that a real door could be opened partially if it were built that way so there is no reason to lock that into design only.

And besides, adjustable floor length is even more vulnerable for bugs.

Not only is potential for bugs not a valid excuse, but how would you know?

And even so, the thing's already modelled. Making the floor at the end adjustable seems to be either totally unrealistic, or require an extreme redo.

Look at the picture, it already ejects a partial ramp from the main ramp. Making it adjustable doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

At least the idea of stopping it when it hits the ground or making the range of the lowering adjustable is less prone to bugs.

Again, how do you know? What makes you think an adjustable ramp length would be more prone to bugs? You are just making that up and potential for bugs is not an excuse to not implement something. Bugs should be fixed.

Edited by Alshain

Not really. The Adjustable Landing Gear mod does it (which is another mod they need to implement, because trying to get landing gear just perfect on a plane is annoying.)

You would allow it to be tweakable in flight. It's feasible that a real door could be opened partially if it were built that way so there is no reason to lock that into design only.

Not only is potential for bugs not a valid excuse, but how would you know?

Look at the picture, it already ejects a partial ramp from the main ramp. Making it adjustable doesn't seem like it would be that hard.

Again, how do you know? What makes you think an adjustable ramp length would be more prone to bugs? You are just making that up and potential for bugs is not an excuse to not implement something. Bugs should be fixed.

Adjustability would (most likely) suck up dev time.. and yes, I do understand that this is going to be a problem, but targeting that small floor patch at the end is (IMHO) the mot complicated way to go. There are other solutions that won't tamper with more complications -- Adjusting the degree at which the ramp descends, or making it stop automatically when it reaches ground. And yeah, maybe bugs aren't a decent excuse, but to me, I think it's better to go for simpler approaches than intricate-looking ones (From my perspective, at least) to achieve one goal: getting the ramp to deploy properly. Maybe it's not a matter of bugs, but going in an approach similar to that of procedural tanks and such would need retexturing too.

That's what I think. Otherwise, it's probably possible.

Adjustability would (most likely) suck up dev time.. and yes, I do understand that this is going to be a problem, but targeting that small floor patch at the end is (IMHO) the mot complicated way to go. There are other solutions that won't tamper with more complications -- Adjusting the degree at which the ramp descends, or making it stop automatically when it reaches ground. And yeah, maybe bugs aren't a decent excuse, but to me, I think it's better to go for simpler approaches than intricate-looking ones (From my perspective, at least) to achieve one goal: getting the ramp to deploy properly. Maybe it's not a matter of bugs, but going in an approach similar to that of procedural tanks and such would need retexturing too.

That's what I think. Otherwise, it's probably possible.

What makes you think it is more complicated? The problem with it being automatic is it assumes you are on flat ground, if not, only one corner ends up touching the ground and it becomes unusable. You know how many perfectly flat areas there are in the game? I can count them on one hand.

It should have a tweakable length (no longer than the length of the ramp it retracts into) and allow clipping through the ground like a ladder.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.