Smarter than a monkey (about science) test.

PB666

I saw this quiz earlier, but there seem to be some variations

I got 12/12, but I'd nitpick the questions a bit:

Question:

"which kind of waves is used to make and receive cell phone calls?"

Technically, radiowaves are light waves, with wavelengths that are far too long to be visible.

Light waves could be considered correct (radio waves is the more correct answer)

The linked quiz specifies visible light, but the PDF and the one I saw earlier did not (if my memory of the quiz I took earlier is )

Electromagnetic radiation covers all radiation form long wave radio waves to ultragamma radiation. The light spectrum is IIRC the spectrum from 350nm to 550nm where as radiowaves are in the millimeter to meter range. lets see c/100,000,000 = 3 which is fm. So the question is accurate in the way they are using it light and radiowaves are variants of electromagnetic radiation

12 of 12, did not find the lens question confusing but the astrology almost fooled me.

Last question showed the good thing about multiple choice questions, I did not know the name of the man inventing the polio vaccine but know that all of the other three was physics so it had to be the last one.

Most multiple choice questions has 3 options and one can be eliminated as stupid if you have some basic understanding of the issue leaving two and 50% chance of correct answer.

12/12, but I'm still in high school so I think it's normal.

Guess people start to (sliightly) fail when they need to correlate (and it's why people score lowest on boiling temp, they need to make two correlation : height -> pressure -> temp.) . Also, not everyone looks at the shape of their reading glasses (which now mostly pretty flat) everyday... The vaccine question almost threw me off until I saw Salk. Also, the astrology question is a bit inappropriate IMO, may as well they ask about lawyer or judge or anything.

12/12, but I'm still in high school so I think it's normal.

Guess people start to (sliightly) fail when they need to correlate (and it's why people score lowest on boiling temp, they need to make two correlation : height -> pressure -> temp.) . Also, not everyone looks at the shape of their reading glasses (which now mostly pretty flat) everyday... The vaccine question almost threw me off until I saw Salk. Also, the astrology question is a bit inappropriate IMO, may as well they ask about lawyer or judge or anything.

The astrology one is actually the only one I missed, as it was the last question, and I only read the first couple words... :blush:

Guess if it comes to patience, the monkeys probably got me beat :P

Easy 9, got the magnifying glass one wrong since it looked like it would distort, the water boiling because I don't know how that works and the sound one cause I don't know how it works. I'm in 8th grade right now. It's kind of sad lots of people got such low scores.

As far as relevance- according to the results(sorted by demographics), only about 85% of post-grads know the difference between astrology/astronomy.

More probably do, however many did not read question well, other did not read at all just filled it out as fast as possible, you also have the trolls who just joke.

This is the dark side of all sort of polls, most people who answer don't really care and they totally ignore trolls.

its an well known fact that people select more radical parties in polls than that they actually vote for, this might be to pressure the serious parties a bit.

However most ignore this effects, in Norway its was an test of drug use among Norwegian teens on schools, 16-18 year old, it had an trap, a drug who was not real fake technical and street name.

3-4% told they had tried it, the one behind the poll answered that some probably had tried everything so they included it, however trolls claiming to try anything is typical an magnitude more.

I also guess another error source, poll was sorted on school so even if anonymous having lots of drug use on your school might result in police with dogs searching so if you used drugs it would be smart to answer no at all.

So I imagine the result would be more use of hard or rare drugs and less use of the common ones.

How much errors its in polls we don't know however the Australian census where Jedi became the 3rd largest religion is pretty famous, first Russian census after the cold war got elves and hobbits as sizable minorities. And yes its an census who you sign and its technical illegal to lie the answer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.