PC problems

Exerminator2000

ok, so i know a lot of you on here are really good with computers and i have been having some serious problems with my pc lately... just as i start getting into elite dangerous... well, here goes...

so, for a while i have been having problems when i restart my computer, seemed like half the time when i rebooted my hard drive (a western digital blue, not my boot drive, which is a plextor px-256m5s) it wouldnt be detected... then it started to hang, the little display on my mobo saying either "0S", "D5", "DS" or "05", it would take at least half an hour to reboot, if it even rebooted, sometimes it would just turn off, also of note, sometimes i dont get a BIOS splash screen on boot, and my device manager shows an "intel® 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #1 - 8C26" and an "intel® 8 Series/C220 Series USB EHCI #2 - 8C2D" with the error

"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}

The requested operation was unsuccessful."

Also, sometimes my ethernet cable just stops being detected... really annoying ?_?

my specs are as follows

mobo: gigabyte z87x-ud3h

gpu: MSI GTX-770 2 gig

ram: 16 gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

CPU: intel I5-4670k

Or if you stick a probe into the PSU itself. Which still shouldn't shock you since those probes are well insulated, but you'll definitely have a broken meter and/or PSU afterwards.

Make your measurements from a spare molex connector. While you're in there, take the time to make sure all the fans are spinning, check that none of the heatsinks is clogged with dust, and reseat all the cables and components aside from the CPU.

A voltmeter. You'd only zap yourself badly if you're sticking it in mains socket or the current is like 200A, and you have wet hands, and the cables are bare, and your voltmeter is actually a step up transformer for a power station.

Wow, who uses a voltmeter with wet hands.

Does your gigabyte have a VGA port, if so set your ob vid, and remove the MSI. If the computer starts normally its the Powersupply, by a good quality supply in which the watts for each transformer is as stated. Many supplies can only produce 85% of stated power.

Some mobos do not boot with certain USB, mine will not boot when the USB wifi is present. Your bios settings may not be properly set, see if you can get help from gigabyte, they may have a bios upgrade.

ugh, there are intel graphics drivers... but i cant seem to download them, and that utility shows things that are out of date, but i need to buy it to have it download actual drivers... i am having trouble finding them on the website

- - - Updated - - -

oh, cool i will look at that, hope it isnt under my cpu cooler or gpu >_<

Edited by Exerminator2000

ugh, there are intel graphics drivers... but i cant seem to download them, and that utility shows things that are out of date, but i need to buy it to have it download actual drivers... i am having trouble finding them on the website

- - - Updated - - -

oh, cool i will look at that, hope it isnt under my cpu cooler or gpu >_<

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Intel-8-9-100-Series-and-C220-C610-Chipset-Family

Your system should already have the driver update utility installed, go look in the Control Panel. If not...

This is the link for the utility, I don't see anything indicating you have to purchase the software...

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

The Driver Updater is a program located in the Control Panel (should be, if you have it installed).

The link(s) for the Driver Updater software and chipset drivers for the hardware you specified are in the previous post I made (shown below).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Intel-8-9-100-Series-and-C220-C610-Chipset-Family

Your system should already have the driver update utility installed, go look in the Control Panel. If not...

This is the link for the utility, I don't see anything indicating you have to purchase the software...

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

So the next question would be, what are the minimum requirements - and does your system meet them. Doesn't sound like it.

Edited by LordFerret

Bah... error... the Driver Update utility is run from the Start Menu (once installed).

- - - Updated - - -

doesnt support win 10....

Wha?!? I'm looking at the Driver Update Utility page right now, and it says ...

Operating System Install Requirements: Microsoft Vista*, 		
Microsoft Windows 7*, Microsoft Windows 8*, Microsoft Windows 8.1*, Windows® 10

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.