What type of disk drive do you use for KSP?

Joshwoo70

what disk drives you use?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. what disk drives you use?

I use a 250GB BX100 Crucial (used to use a Intel SSD 330 Series 240GB, though it turns out there wasn't a problem with the SSD) and a 2TB Seagate Mechanical Hard Drive. Either Windows is acting very finicky with SSDs or something since it has a real bad tendency to freeze with 100% Disk Usage (with no real activity whatsoever).

I use SSD for OS for faster load times while I use a good old HDs for massive storage. Especially now I've been backing up old games and even some movies.

I did recently get an SSD drive for the OS and games that load from the harddrive ingame, but I was in doubt on how much and often KSP did that, so to save some space on the SSD, it got relegated to my old main drive. A raid 0 of 2 640 gb harddrives.

I use a 250GB BX100 Crucial (used to use a Intel SSD 330 Series 240GB, though it turns out there wasn't a problem with the SSD) and a 2TB Seagate Mechanical Hard Drive. Either Windows is acting very finicky with SSDs or something since it has a real bad tendency to freeze with 100% Disk Usage (with no real activity whatsoever).

I use SSD for OS for faster load times while I use a good old HDs for massive storage. Especially now I've been backing up old games and even some movies.

BSOD? It turns out that my ssd, crucial mx512 (if I remember correctly), can sometimes... loose it's sata connection to the computer. Something goes wrong in the drive and to the computer it's as if you unplugged the system drive. Restarting, the computer cannot find the SSD again until I turn the power off and back on. It's thankfully a rare thing. Like... Once every 3 months or so...

Edited by 78stonewobble

I did recently get an SSD drive for the OS and games that load from the harddrive ingame, but I was in doubt on how much and often KSP did that, so to save some space on the SSD, it got relegated to my old main drive. A raid 0 of 2 640 gb harddrives.

BSOD? It turns out that my ssd, crucial mx512 (if I remember correctly), can sometimes... loose it's sata connection to the computer. Something goes wrong in the drive and to the computer it's as if you unplugged the system drive. Restarting, the computer cannot find the SSD again until I turn the power off and back on. It's thankfully a rare thing. Like... Once every 3 months or so...

samsung ssd is love.. samsung ssd is life :P

All my games are installed on a Raid 0 of 2x 1TB velociraptor 10,000rpm hard drives

Maybe not as efficient as SSD (theese things were still expensive when I bought this setup), but at least I can install a lot of heavy-disk-eating games, and load them at decent speeds.

samsung ssd is love.. samsung ssd is life :P

Yes, because no samsung ssd have failed... Ever... -..-

I don't have 10.000 ssd of varying internal components, model, make and year to test to see what the failure rates are, times ten to test for compatibility issues across a vide range of other hardware... There should be tests like that, but I can't find em.

HDD in my case.

My PC is pretty old meanwhile (I'm planning to buy a new one next year...) and only has a 30 GB SSD, which is easily big enough to store my OS and all regular applications (for the more technically inclined: it holds my root, /usr and /boot filesystems), but as games would fill it up in no time, they all are installed into my user's folder, which is on a conventional 1TB HDD.

I can fully recommend such a setup. Having only root and /usr on the SSD, while putting the /var and /home folders on a conventional HDD and the /tmp folder on a ramdrive, gives great performance, and reduces write access to the SSD (I am aware that nowadays this is no longer that a big issue.). With the games residing in the user's folder one also avoids permission issues, as some games still don't have proper multi-user support and instead require write access to the folder they are installed in (yes, I'm talking about KSP).

Edit:

@montyben101: I've seen crazy things with SSDs. Not in the last few years, but in the early times, when they just hit the consumer market... There was one company which I will not name that was quite infamous for selling SSDs that would die in a matter of days. I've seen people at conferences get really stressed because their [insert brand I won't name] SSD had given up just before they wanted to plug their laptop to the beamer....

Edited by soulsource

I use a mechanical HD as a SSD makes hardly any difference at all when it comes to KSP unless you are running from system partition or have slow 5400rpm disk.

Since I have 16gigs of ram I even tried running KSP directly from a ram disk and it only shaved off a few seconds even though that is way faster than even SSD.

There is some kind of other bottleneck caused by how KSP loads that is not related to disk drive itself.

- - - Updated - - -

External USB. I know, I know. But I have a laptop, so I can't upgrade my storage.

Sure you can. You most likely cannot add a second drive, but you can surely easily replace the drive with a larger disk or a SSD.

- - - Updated - - -

Why is everyone so concerned about the reliability of SSDs??? There are no more horror storied about them than there are for HDDs

There are... They have a tendency to die/lose data with no warning whatsoever. Also if you have the ssd/pc switched off for weeks-months you risk losing data once your SSD starts to age.

At least hard drives often warn you before it dies completely and if a hard drive dies, then it is usually in the first months-year.

I still have a 8gig hd from the 90s that was running 24/7 until recently with zero problems and it still works today.

2.5 inch drives seems to be way more unreliable imo experience though.

I use a Crucial MX120 SSD drive with 128 gigs of RAM. Kinda small, but apart from KSP I do only A LOT of writing so i don't really need more. The moment I switched from my HDD, I've gained almost instantaneous system boot (With Ubuntu) and everything else loads way faster as well. My battery usage seems to have decreased, so I only have words of praise for my drive.

I use a Crucial 120GB SSD and I've used my secondary storage drive (7200RPM HDD) as well and I've noticed a rather significant improvement to load times for KSP, but nothing really changes in-game.

Edit for external disk drives : if it is small it is a ssd. if it is big it is Hdd (try to not say usb)

This is incorrect. If it is small, it is a 2.5" laptop drive, if it is big, it is a 3.5" desktop drive. Very very few external drives are SSD right now.

Edited by Alshain

I use a Crucial 120GB SSD and I've used my secondary storage drive (7200RPM HDD) as well and I've noticed a rather significant improvement to load times for KSP, but nothing really changes in-game.

I bet it was the system disk then.. The difference should be little to none if you use a separate partition.

There are... They have a tendency to die/lose data with no warning whatsoever. Also if you have the ssd/pc switched off for weeks-months you risk losing data once your SSD starts to age.

At least hard drives often warn you before it dies completely and if a hard drive dies, then it is usually in the first months-year.

I still have a 8gig hd from the 90s that was running 24/7 until recently with zero problems and it still works today.

2.5 inch drives seems to be way more unreliable imo experience though.

Njyah, I wouldn't call that "click of death", which I've heard on plenty of harddrives, much of a warning either... :D ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.