Kerbal Space Program Fanart

Pariah

I was gonna say!

That is just awesome! I wonder what the polycount is. :o

Thanks!

It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high for a game asset. 90k polys, most of them eaten up by the piping on the sides, the radial pipes on the aft hull, and all of the buttons. (Yes, I actually just arrayed a low-poly button model for the cockpit. You'll see why in a bit. :))

Ironically, I never intended to build the whole pod. I was actually just going to build the interior set for some shots and animation I wanted to do. But as I used the in-game model as reference, I, um, I kind of lost my self-control. :)

There is an actual downside to this: I didn't create a high-enough poly external hull. The result is that it's really not good for close-up shots. You're seeing her at about as close as I'd want to bring the camera in now. That bugs me, but I'll live. :)

Once I lock some details, I'm going to shoot some high-res orthos and then create another low-poly asset. I'll then pain the high-res ortho images to give the impression of high detail, but at a really low poly count.

Once, you know, I'm done playing with the Kerbals. :)

Thanks again!

Awesome model :o

Every time I see the underside of the pod though, I just hear Marty McFly saying 'Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a command pod... out of a DeLorean?' with Doc Brown replying 'The way I see it, if you're gonna build a command pod out of a car, why not do it with some style? ' :D

LOL.

I also think 'Kouston...about the heat shield...'

Here are a couple of new shots. I'm working with getting the Kerbals into the space of their Pod. It's a tight fit. Lighting them in that space is a challenge, especially with the way LightWave handles lighting within objects. (That's why I 'wilded' the bulkheads to allow more lighting options.)

Enjoy!

One of the patch designs I'll be awarding my son when he achieves orbit, or accomplishes some other challenge I give him. (He loves to collect NASA patches)

Oooh! Sweet!

Mind if I incorporate those into some of my work?

Folks, don't you think the Kerbal's ride needs a little love, too?

Here's the Mk1 Pod, setup for shooting images with the Kerbals as well.

Enjoy! ;D

LOL nice one!, I do have some question about the model: since Jeb is the pilot and are sitting in at the center seat, shouldn't his seat be the one that have the control column instead of the side seats?

@Hayoo: I'd like to make a patch for your son for the first time he flies up at least one megameter (after Kilometers on the altimeter). If I make it, will you give it to him after he achieves it? I would like to put something like 'Designed by lennyoliy' in the background, not on the patch. I plan on making it look like a patch. It's a ton of layering and photoshopping. I'll post it and PM you when it's done.

-Lennyoliy

@Hayoo: I'd like to make a patch for your son for the first time he flies up at least one megameter (after Kilometers on the altimeter). If I make it, will you give it to him after he achieves it? I would like to put something like 'Designed by lennyoliy' in the background, not on the patch. I plan on making it look like a patch. It's a ton of layering and photoshopping. I'll post it and PM you when it's done.

-Lennyoliy

lol. Sure, if you like. But he's only 8 years old and doesn't have the patience to watch the spacecraft go out that far.

What I like to do is make a really unrealistic ship that uses stuff like vaccer's nacelles and the Outamos from FutureTech (the makers of Sphaera) and let it go overnight or while I'm at school. Today, I went so far out it crashed the game.

LOL nice one!, I do have some question about the model: since Jeb is the pilot and are sitting in at the center seat, shouldn't his seat be the one that have the control column instead of the side seats?

Yep, it should. Poor Jeb was the only one up front when that happened.

(Actually, it was because I was only working with one Kerbal mesh for that image.)

Not anymore. :)