Most amusing launch failures

Sampa

Had just unlocked the Mainsail, was making my first launch with them and a heavier payload than previous launches (with the Skipper). Engines start, clamps released, throttle to full...

Why ain't it moving? Jeb, check the parking brake! No? What the-

Stared at my rocket just hovering there over the pad, engines full bore, for a moment, then realized what I had done. Reverted to ship assembly, replaced the Skipper with the Mainsail (and upgraded the LRBs from Swivels to Reliants), and launched again with much greater success.

And on an earlier launch, my Mun flyby rocket started tumbling end for end after I started my gravity turn. Couldn't figure out why, wasn't bad symmetry or aerodynamics, it just liked to flip out. After a couple reverts, I just shrugged and let it flip, timed it to throttle up when it was pointed vaguely towards orbit, and made it there successfully.

in 2 and a half years of driving land trains of all different shapes, sizes. transmissions.. even flying ones and seaworthy...

This has to be the sloppiest worst launch ive ever had.. I was switching from the yard to the mainline (runway) via the usual taxiways.. derailed on a corner. didnt look where I was going.. took out a building.. nearly tore the train in half.. reversed and gave up.. launched off the side of the yard..

made worse by the fact that I left the generator running constantly at full RPM and just using the clutch/deadman pedals to control the locos speed.. thats why she was all or nothing torque wise..

normally the generators are linked with the wheels properly..

it was just all. ugh...

Edited by Overland

My first attempt at a mining vehicle included that narrow-band scanner thingy with the hexagonal antenna. I tried hiding the scanner inside the main fuel tank (as I commonly do with RTG's, batteries and other ugly-looking parts that I wish to hide inside the hull). Problem is, when active, the narrow-band scanner is considered a moving part.

When tested on the launch pad, the active scanner's rotating antenna caused collision detections every single tick. The ship immediately suffered an epileptic seizure--wobbling, then shaking, then bouncing around on the launch pad with increasing fury. Followed rather quickly by explosive disassembly.

After I recovered sufficiently from my own laughter-induced seizure, I decided to test the ship twice more just to make sure. Well, actually, mostly just for fun. :D In retrospect, I probably should have entered the ship in the next season of Dancing With The Stars.......

Well, I had something similar to the January 17 Launch incident in 1997.

I didn't get any photos as I was trying to save the crew (Yes, it was crewed). They landed safely about 300 Meters from the Launchpad.

This video is roughly what it looked like.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that I think of it, I think it was a Kraken attack because about 90% of the rocket (Which had 149 Parts) survived the explosion. It just kinda disassembled.

I used to check my staging every time prior to launch, but that's so passe. Got a contract to put a satellite in orbit of Mimimus and since I was going there anyways, why not? I was so proud of my elaborate 3-part maneuver node that got me in to the perfect orbit, now time to release the satellite. Where is it? Oh crap! I staged it at the same time I did my transfer stage to Minimus. FML.

• 3 weeks later...
Whatever was there has been destroyed so long I can't remember. Was it a helium tank? A bunker? I don't know.

I don't even remember it happening, but my best guess was a small SRB fell back on the launchpad and destroyed just this one bit of it:

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SHo5uSL5aD4/VkudbObEduI/AAAAAAAAAbc/BUURvdK3uzw/s1280-Ic42/screenshot0.png[/IMG]

Always point your rockets 2-5 degrees immediately on launch, kids!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.