PSA: Booster Separation

MalfunctionM1Ke

I'll have to try this, but I always offset-mount my rockets with the decouplers at the top and struts at the bottom, so when the decouplers trigger, the stacks are pushed outward and the new atmosphere's drag forces them away like a blooming flower.

for large, advanced setups, I don't bother with radials at all, I'll build an octopus frame and use stack decouplers instead, then just watch them fall off as the ship flies straight.

Edited by Xyphos

To avoid radial boosters colliding with the bottom of the central stack...

ht4Z3i.png

Drop the bottom of the central stack first!

But seriously, I haven't really needed any separatrons to remove boosters for a while, and I doubt I will in the near future.

Edited by Concentric

I only use 200% sepratron with 3.75m mammoth boosters, my other boosters don't need it.

Just place two of them near the top to counter aerodynamic forces.

I think the problem comes from insufficent ejection power of radial decoupler, they are enough for smaller boosters but not for 3.75m big boosters, even if i offset them.

Obviously i offset the sepratron near the surface of the booster to reduce drag, and i reduce the solid fuel amount to the minimum (12.80 for 200% sep), so it weights nothing : 0.38 tons 2 sep for a 136 tons booster : 0.28% !! clearly it's dramatic for deltaV. :sticktongue:

Thanks for the fun.

Edited by xebx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.