Why does my rocket keep exploding?

"TT-70 Radial Decoupler collided into Rockomax Fuel Tank

Rockomax Fuel Tank Collided into Rockomax Fuel Tank

AV-R8 Winglet collided into Rockomax Fuel Tank

Structural failure on linkage between Rockomax Fuel Tank and Rockomax Fuel Tank"

and so it goes

This sounds to me your external boosters aren't actually attached to your decouplers, they're radially attached to the central fuel tank. Check your booster placement is on top of the decouplers.

Also, you might try using the Hydraulic Detachment Manifold, as that seems to have better performance separating heavy objects.

Check your booster placement is on top of the decouplers.

That's interesting. When fixing the Kickbacks on my new ship, I noticed that somehow they won't go on the top of the TT70s. The end up fixed to the body of the main booster, with the decouplers somehow inside them. That looks bad, but try as I might I can't get it to sit properly

No first time I landed without mechjeb all right.

Quicksave was my friend.

But the rescue mission is going to be a real challenge. I have to land in a specific spot. That will be interesting.

In general I use Mechjeb to check whether a given ship works, eliminating my own cack-handedness as a factor. If it does, I know I should be able to pilot it manually thereafter without disasters.

That was interesting.

I did not have enough fuel to get back all the way.

But I think I sort of by accident ended up doing a gravity slingshot in reverse using Mun. One of my orbits had me going into Mun encounter, then mun escape with a drastically slower velocity.

Now I have just enough monoprop left to try aerobraking. I may just get these guys home.

Edited by Clear Air Turbulence

If all else fails point the rocket retrograde and have the kerbals get out and push with their jetpacks.

Note that this trick relies on the fact [exploit] that kerbal jetpack monopropelant is infinitely restored by going back in the capsule. In practice, this is terribly slow even for single-kerbal capsules that are "almost home", so I don't know how long it will take for the bigger capsule. On the other hand, it will take nearly as much delta-V for a rendezvous as to get to Minmus (air braking saves a *lot* of delta-V).

Note that this trick relies on the fact [exploit] that kerbal jetpack monopropelant is infinitely restored by going back in the capsule. In practice, this is terribly slow even for single-kerbal capsules that are "almost home", so I don't know how long it will take for the bigger capsule. On the other hand, it will take nearly as much delta-V for a rendezvous as to get to Minmus (air braking saves a *lot* of delta-V).

Indeed it is slow, but I'd rather do that than revert/quickload because my craft ran out of fuel with a 71km orbit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.