Dwarven Sock Challenge

As the liaison from the Mountainhomes (no one else has taken up the title, so here I stand) I issue a challenge - a mandate, if you will.

For those of you unfamiliar, Dwarf Fortress is an ASCII game played on something similar to a command console. While graphic packs exist, it's so low on the graphics that it's merely dots moving about the screen at all times. Yet there is such a level of textual detail that the game engrosses you. Combat reports, descriptions of personalities and appearances, more combat reports, details about engravings and decorations on items, and more combat reports. With just a puff of imagination, the entire thing takes sail into a grand, randomly generated masterpiece of chaos and bloodshed. Of course, it gets interesting when you start using mechanisms. Similar to Minecraft's insane non-sequential wires and impossible devices, the mechanics available in Dwarf Fortress are unbound by structural or rational limitations, instead only limited by your hard-headed desire to use water logic and infinite pressure plates. This, of course, lends itself to some of the most insane designs imaginable, from flooding chambers, cave-in traps, automatic magma launchers, sequential flooding of trade depots while someone is attempting to trade, and ultimately the dwarfputer, a working calculator that runs entirely inside the game.

With this in mind, the mandate is simple. Be a Dwarf. Do the impossible, be the insane, challenge physics and not only spit in its eye, but bite it in the lips from behind and send the severed part sailing away in an arc! Design something insane, and make it work! Definition of 'work' subject to sudden and violent change, of course. Let's see your worst designed rocket ever place itself in a perfect orbit! Add more solid boosters! Ditch those parachutes! Strike the Earth!

One shiny -Cat Leather Sock- to anyone who can certify their insanity along with their mastery of explosives.

Hmm, ahh. I remember the lovely tail of the great dwarfen fortress of Boatmurdered. such happy times. I tried to recreate Boatmurdered's lava defense mechanism in minecraft. I was successful. I should imagine its terrifying to see all that lava flowing towards you. ;D

I remember laughing hard when someone used the lava defence mechanism to stop some weird flood, and in the process scorched the complete outside map... And the next thing that happens is some Elven messenger showing up going O_O, declaring war immediatly... Pure comedy genius!

I also remember my first (longer) game, tried to do large scale underground irrigation, had a gigantic water reservoir, somehow it leaked and flooded the central staircase... wich was the only staircase... Many lives lost because I was not able to dig a second shaft quick enough...

How am I supposed to fail that hard with nothing but rocketparts? Now if there where goblins in this game...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.