Fuel Dumping

• 4 weeks later...

Count me in here as well. I've had several situations where I've had a LV-N-powered upper stage on top of a boost stage that had some leftover liquid fuel and oxidizer. It would have been *really* nice to vent the unused oxidizer and burn the remaining liquid fuel in the LV-Ns before staging.

In short, everything Monstah said, I agree with. Accessible through the right-click menu, and I don't care all that much about speed. I'd recommend just have it go as a % of tank/second, so every tank would vent in the same amount of time.

or just download the mod jettison fuel

the functionality is already in stock on ore tanks, the "mod" is just the config file to apply it to tanks

exactly the same as if you copied the module to all 500 tanks yourself by hand

gotta love it when people ask for functionality already in stock

or just download the mod jettison fuel

the functionality is already in stock on ore tanks, the "mod" is just the config file to apply it to tanks

exactly the same as if you copied the module to all 500 tanks yourself by hand

gotta love it when people ask for functionality already in stock

Gotta love it when someone's answer to a suggestion for stock is "install this mod". Stock does not permit fuel dumping. If you edit the cfgs to enable it then it is no longer stock.

Gotta love it when someone's answer to a suggestion for stock is "install this mod". Stock does not permit fuel dumping. If you edit the cfgs to enable it then it is no longer stock.

he was asking for the functionality, the functionality exists in stock

the "mod" is nothing more than a textfile shortcut to avoid manually editing a config yourself

nor does doing such effect your saves and ability to share ships in any way

though now that you want to be hypocrit

gotta love the people who say "don't add this option, just stick it in a cargobay if you want it to look nice"

he was asking for the functionality, the functionality exists in stock

the "mod" is nothing more than a textfile shortcut to avoid manually editing a config yourself

nor does doing such effect your saves and ability to share ships in any way

Once you edit the config it is no longer stock, full stop. The suggestion here is to enable the functionality in the stock configs.

though now that you want to be hypocrit

gotta love the people who say "don't add this option, just stick it in a cargobay if you want it to look nice"

I don't even know what you're saying here. I have never said "don't add this option, just stick it in a cargobay if you want it to look nice". What are you on about?

I don't know about space ships but aircraft do it all the time. It's SOP when you land earlier than you thought, and therefore have more fuel than you would normally upon landing.

This reminds me of an interesting side story from 9/11. When the U.S. closed its airspace on 9/11 over 400 planes were in transit across the Atlantic en route to the U.S. Some of these went back to Europe, but well over 150 were forced to land in Newfoundland at various airports including the largest one at Gander. Because they were landing early, most of them needed to do a fuel dump and it became one of the concerns of flight controllers to have so many aircraft dumping their fuel in a relatively small amount of airspace. They figured it out though and all the planes landed safely.

It also makes me wonder what the quality of life is for the air and land near airports if planes have to do this on a regular basis - that would be a lot of fuel in your air and water spread over time, yuck!

Some of these went back to Europe, but well over 150 were forced to land in Newfoundland at various airports including the largest one at Gander.

It was 38 planes with about 6500 people, enough to increase the temporary population of the town by about 50%. People were taking stranded passengers into their homes to wait for the skyways to reopen, it's a great story.

It was 38 planes with about 6500 people, enough to increase the temporary population of the town by about 50%. People were taking stranded passengers into their homes to wait for the skyways to reopen, it's a great story.

My boss was one of those 6500 people. He said it was like waking from a nightmare into a fantastic dream.

That's actually just the town of Gander, and yes it's a great story told well by Tom Brokaw in an hour special he did for NBC during the 2010 winter olympics.

The 150+ planes number is for the total that had to land in various places in Newfoundland, and Gander was just one of several that had an airport there. I think the Gander airport had to handle the control of the airspace for the whole island, but not all of the airplanes landed at Gander, they were diverted to other nearby airports on the island.

<--- From Newfoundland. :)

The total flights for NL airports:

Gander 38

St John's 21

Stephenville 8

Deer Lake 1

St John's is the biggest airport and handled ATC duties (though its runways are shorter than Gander's and not suitable for landing larger airliners). Gander is the memorable story because of the ratio of flights to population; St John's is a larger city and much better equipped to handle the overflow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.