[1.0.4] Arkas 0.2.1 - A Thick Atmosphere on a Desert World - 17 Unique Biomes - Cloud Support Added!

CoriW

9msAnRV.png

This Mod adds a single planet to the Kerbol system between the orbits of Moho and Eve.

DESCRIPTION

Arkas is an extremely hot desert planet with a thick, dense atmosphere. It's radius makes it slightly smaller than Kerbin with slightly less gravity, and it's rotational period is just under 3 Kerbin days. Arkas' notable surface features include Mountain Ranges, Craters, and Volcanoes, as well as Sand Dunes that cover a majority of the planet. It's atmosphere is thicker and denser than that of Kerbin, however thinner and less dense than that of Eve. The majority of Arkas' terrain is high in elevation with Super Volcanoes holding the record of highest points, though there are some sparse Lowlands mostly in the southern latitudes of the planet. Arkas has a total of 17 unique biomes and is easily recognizable by it's yellow atmosphere and sandy colored surface.

Note: This has been posted in Add-On Development as I consider the planet to not be complete as there are still a couple of minor issues remaining and I am not 100% happy with it yet.

NOTICE: Currently looking for somebody to make a sort of "trailer" for Arkas, PM me or post in this thread if interested.

DOWNLOAD

licensed under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license | included in download

Download the Latest Version of Arkas at KerbalStuff

(Clouds by The White Guardian)

Requires Kopernicus (Download and Install Separately)

This Mod uses and distributes Module Manager in its Original form. Credits go to sarbian and ialdabaoth.

This Mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available.

Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

INSTALLATION

• Delete the old version completely
  • Extract and merge the folder "GameData" with your existing "GameData" directory

SCREENSHOTS

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

SUPPORTED MODS

• PlanetShine adds light reflecting off of planets and moons to illuminate your ships.
  • Distant Object Enhancement adds flares to planets and moons so that they are visible in the night sky, just like real life.

RECOMMENDED MODS

• Thermal Nuclear Aircraft Engines adds nuclear turbine aircraft engines based off of real concepts, which enables you to fly jets and planes in non-oxygen atmospheres.

UPCOMING UPDATE

• Added ResearchBodies Support

TO DO LIST

KNOWN ISSUES

• Terrain: Some Volcanoes are are only half there and the other half is missing causing sheer cliffs

CHANGELOG

Note: No Updates are known to cause problems with existing saves

KSP 1.0.4 | 0.2.1
- Fixed Problem with Ambient Lighting Fix

KSP 1.0.4 | 0.2
- Included Cloud Support created by The White Guardian
- Fixed Ambient Lighting being too bright on Night Side
- Added MiniAVC Support

KSP 1.0.4 | 0.1
- Removed "Lava Flows" From Color Map Texture
- Increased Brightness of Ground Texture
- Finished Science Definitions

KSP 1.0.4 | 0.0
- Initial Release

Edited by CoriW

Wow, never installed any planet packs, but I want to go there! Maybe you should create a valuable resource (spice) to give it a reason to explore the planet that only exists there!

I made a small mod a while back but not released, it was a food stuffs mod compatible with RoverDude's Snacks mod. Maybe I'll unearth it and repurpose it. Although... Spice comes from Kessel.

Does Arkas have an oxygen atmosphere? Do Jets work there?

Why worry about that? I made a mod just to solve that problem. Just use this: Thermal Nuclear Aircraft Engines.

I like the looks of it! Will install & maybe give it a visit over the weekend.

Does it have an oxygen (i. e. jet-friendly) atmosphere?

This looks so cool I'll install it tommorow!

Also as the person above me asked, Is there Oxygen?

Does Arkas have an oxygen atmosphere? Do Jets work there?

Unfortunately it doesn't have an Oxygen atmosphere, which is because there isn't a good source of oxygen on the planet. However I would recommend the Thermal Nuclear Aircraft Engines Mod by Eskandare which enables you to fly jet's on Arkas despite the lack of Oxygen. :)

Very nice! Adding this to my save
Looks awesome, already want to build a sand storm shelter on it :)
I quite like the look of this planet. Should be added to Galactic Neighborhood.
This pack seriously looks epic. I especially like the sandy ground texture.
This looks amazing!

Just remember to bring two water bottles when you go here.

Hey thanks for the compliments guys I worked really hard on this Mod over the last few weeks and really appreciate the kind words :)

Why worry about that? I made a mod just to solve that problem. Just use this: Thermal Nuclear Aircraft Engines.

Hey I really like the concept of your Mod and am surprised I hadn't stumbled upon it before. I'm sure you wouldn't mind me putting it into a "Recommended Mods" section in the OP? :wink:

Edited by CoriW

veeeery interesting. Makes me want to work on a cloud addition to it

Say, how do you envision this planet with clouds? It has a thick atmosphere, but it's also desertic... I can't really think if thick or sparse clouds would be better, or if maybe it would be even better with just storms storm storms and more storms

veeeery interesting. Makes me want to work on a cloud addition to it

Say, how do you envision this planet with clouds? It has a thick atmosphere, but it's also desertic... I can't really think if thick or sparse clouds would be better, or if maybe it would be even better with just storms storm storms and more storms

I was envisioning a sort of sparse cloud cover, due to the low humidity and absence of oceans or liquid water. Though I was also envisioning very dense sand storms to be frequent on the surface.

EDIT: Think of sand storms like this...

Edited by CoriW

This Mod adds a single planet to the Kerbol system between the orbits of Moho and Eve.

DESCRIPTION

Arkas is an extremely hot desert planet with a thick, dense atmosphere. It's radius makes it slightly smaller than Kerbin with slightly less gravity, and it's rotational period is just under 3 Kerbin days. Arkas' notable surface features include Mountain Ranges, Craters, and Volcanoes, as well as Sand Dunes that cover a majority of the planet. It's atmosphere is thicker and denser than that of Kerbin, however thinner and less dense than that of Eve. The majority of Arkas' terrain is high in elevation with Super Volcanoes holding the record of highest points, though there are some sparse Lowlands mostly in the southern latitudes of the planet. Arkas has a total of 17 unique biomes and is easily recognizable by it's yellow atmosphere and sandy colored surface.

Note: This has been posted in Add-On Development as I consider the planet to not be complete as there are still a couple of minor issues remaining and I am not 100% happy with it yet.

DOWNLOAD

licensed under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 license | included in download

Download the Latest Version of Arkas at KerbalStuff

This Mod uses and distributes Module Manager in its original form. Credits go to sarbian and ialdabaoth.

Requires Kopernicus

INSTALLATION

• Delete the old version completely
  • Extract and merge the folder "GameData" with your existing "GameData" directory

SCREENSHOTS

http://imgur.com/a/4Dy6M

SUPPORTED MODS

• PlanetShine adds light reflecting off of planets and moons to illuminate your ships.
  • Distant Object Enhancement adds flares to planets and moons so that they are visible in the night sky, just like real life.

RECOMMENDED MODS

• Thermal Nuclear Aircraft Engines adds nuclear turbine aircraft engines based off of real concepts, which enables you to fly jets and planes in non-oxygen atmospheres.

TO DO LIST

• Finish ScienceDefs (Gravity Scan and Atmospheric Analysis remaining)
  • Look into adding Ground Scatter?
  • Add option to have Clouds if using a Visual Pack
  • Other Mod Compatibilities? (If Requested)

KNOWN ISSUES

• Ambient Lighting too bright on Night side

CHANGELOG

KSP 1.0.4 | 0.0
- Initial Release

Merciful Kod, this looks great! It looks so good that I'll probably make a youtube video of it.

Though, how about the clouds? Does this mod have E.V.E support?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.