[1.0.4] Arkas 0.2.1 - A Thick Atmosphere on a Desert World - 17 Unique Biomes - Cloud Support Added!

CoriW

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if anyone else has noticed that E.V.E has been updated to 1.0.5, or are you asking if E.V.E has been updated for 1.0.5?

First one. News EVE version is 1.05-1.05-1 compatible with the latest KSP version.

I don't think the Arkas cloud configs are compatible with EVE. Aside from the fact that the standard EVE cloud stuff is in a BoulderCo/Atmosphere instead of BoulderCo/Clouds, the configs itself seem to be in an entirely different format than the Arkas configs.

Actually, I am already filming a 'trailer' for Arkas, though it may take a few weeks to finish it.

[quote name='FungusForge']I don't think the Arkas cloud configs are compatible with EVE. Aside from the fact that the standard EVE cloud stuff is in a BoulderCo/Atmosphere instead of BoulderCo/Clouds, the configs itself seem to be in an entirely different format than the Arkas configs.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what!? I'll check out what has happened right away!

Don't worry, everyone. The config layout has indeed changed, but not dramatically. Porting Arkas' clouds over to E.V.E 1.0.5 shouldn't be so hard.

And from what I understood the fullcover-config will now block out some of the sunlight like Venus' clouds do, so you [I]might[/I] want to consider using lamps...

[COLOR="silver"][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Here's all major config changes I've found so far:
- new layout: instead of
[CODE]
CLOUD_LAYER
{
body = Kerbin
(lots of stuff here)
}
CLOUD_LAYER
}
body = Kerbin
(more stuff here)
}
[/CODE]
The config now uses this:
[CODE]
Kerbin
}
Kerbin_cloudlayer1
(stuff here)
}
{
Kerbin_cloudlayer2
(stuff here)
}
[/CODE]
So I now have to specify the body first, then I can add as much layers as I want.

- 3D and 2D config parts
I now have to fill in some parameters for the 2D scaledspace textures

- Shadows
Clouds now cast shadows

- Colors
Instead of 0-1 EVE now uses 0-255.

Actually, I like the new config layout. Let's just hope I can work with it as good as I could with the old format.

[quote name='The White Guardian']
And from what I understood the fullcover-config will now block out some of the sunlight like Venus' clouds do, so you [I]might[/I] want to consider using lamps...
[/QUOTE]

It sounds like the dust storms are going to be absolutely terrifying now. :D

[quote name='FungusForge']It sounds like the dust storms are going to be absolutely terrifying now. :D[/QUOTE]

Perhaps not. I've just installed the latest version of E.V.E, and so far I've seen no sign of the shadows. Perhaps on Eve I'll see the effects?

Add to that, I'll probably succeed in porting Arkas' clouds over to E.V.E 1.0.5, though I have no idea how to add the atmospheric glow in the current version. Perhaps Scatterer will work, I'll take a look at the mod and if it's configs aren't too complicated I'll make a config for Arkas.

[quote name='Waxing_Kibbous']Is this working with 1.05 and kopernicus .5? I'd love to try this planet out :)[/QUOTE]

Probably works fine with .5, but I'll check for you.

And, to everyone: I spoke with the developer of E.V.E, and let's say that if all goes well Arkas' clouds should be up and running again in no time. I will also try to set up the clouds in such a way that they can be included in the /Arkas directory directly so no confusing file placing, but I can't promise anything yet.

Hmm. Odd to see the past messages after the site update broke codes and quotes...

Anyhow, today I've worked on porting Arkas' clouds over to the latest version of E.V.E.

So far the fullcover config is almost finished, the other three configs have yet to be viewed in-game.

The way the clouds are installed has also changed. From now on the cloud textures are included in Arkas' files, as well as the configs. All you have to do is delete the configs you do not want.

Arkas' fanmade moons have also been worked on. Apparantly Vin's script broke, I'm currently working on fixing the asteroid. Larr still works, Kras needed a rewrite.

Kras also has procedurally generated craters and a working atmosphere as well as a list of biomes, and I've started to work on Kras' clouds.

This week I'll finish updating Arkas' clouds to the newest E.V.E config format. The changes are:

E.V.E:
- Atmospheric glow is broken and I have no idea how to fix it, so that is removed.
- Clouds now cast shadows on the surface
- Sandstorms and cloud layers under a 'full' cloud layer are not visible in scaledspace to lower memory usage
- Because sandstorms are not visible in scaledspace, they do not cast shadows on the surface. Yes, I can add shadows, but it'll make Arkas look terrible in scaledspace so let's not do that, shall we?

Moons:
- Kras and Larr are nearing completion and will be released soon. Custom science has not been written yet, though biomes are already supported.
- Larr might get a thin, brown-ish haze above the ground that provides very little drag.
- Vin is broken, but will be fixed soon.
- I have come up with a new moon: a faraway, fourth moon named Oresn that is deep blue in colour.

I might also add a small easter egg on Christmas...

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this is something that's already been brought up before, but I've looked through a few pages of posts and haven't seen any references.

Problem #1:

I get really bad visual glitches when in low Arkas orbit. It's fine in high orbit or down in the atmosphere, but occurs in a band of a hundred km or so of altitude. As I descend from high orbit, the first thing that happens is that the planet starts going transparent (can see stars through it). Then it suddenly gets washed out with bright contrasting white and dark pixelated concentric circles, then it gradually clears up.

I'm running PlanetShine, but no other mods that affect graphics or rendering. No E.V.E. or clouds.

Problem #2 [Answered]:

Arkas consistently causes NullReferenceExceptions in Kopernicus.  The trigger is turning on "show biomes" in the debug menu while at Arkas.  Turning that on, and then turning it off again, puts the game into a horked state in which 1. it's not possible to turn the biomes on again, and 2. it's not possible to gather any science results.  Doing either one of those just throws an NRE in Kopernicus.  Once the game gets into that horked state, the only way to fix it is to completely exit KSP.exe and restart the game.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?  --> [Edit] Got an answer to #2.  It's a Kopernicus bug, there's a fix available on Github now.  See relevant post in the Kopernicus forum.

Edited by Snark

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Hang on, pal. Within this month I will release an update version of Arkas' clouds as well as three fanmade moons. Keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Awesome. Can't wait!

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 6:01 AM, FungusForge said:

So I finally, officially landed a rover on Arkas. However I noticed a suspicious mountain in the distance.

TXSnh4D.png

The rover kinda rotisseried on re-entry and busted the solar panels, so I'm having to re-land the rover from a quick save to investigate what I've named Not-Right Mons.

Addendum: Rover missed by long shot. Trying again. Meantime I got another picture of it.

6uN0iLu.png

These are probably dumb questions, but what mod are you using that lets you name features? Is it still available? And is it compatible with 1.0.4?

7 hours ago, [email protected] said:

These are probably dumb questions, but what mod are you using that lets you name features? Is it still available? And is it compatible with 1.0.4?

That would be waypoint manager, which not only lets you see waypoints without going to the map, but also lets you create new waypoints.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/94432-105-waypoint-manager-v244-2015-12-11/

• 2 weeks later...

It works in 1.0.5, and I had a lot of fun there.

However, there's a really annoying visual glitch I keep getting with this planet.  Whenever I'm orbiting in a certain altitude band, the planet display borks.

It displays fine from high orbit.

However, there's a certain altitude below which the planet starts to go transparent (can see stars through it).  The transparency gradually increases with decreasing altitude, then at a certain point it gets violently borked and shows as a bunch of concentric white and black circles with pixelated borders.  Then get low enough below that and it comes back to normal again.

Only shows up in flight view; no problems on the map screen.

It doesn't seem to affect gameplay, but I have no idea what's causing it.  I'm running PlanetShine, but no other graphics-affecting mods.  I've got the latest version of Kopernicus.  I'm running OPM and there are no graphics problems with any of its worlds.

Anyone have any idea what this might be?  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Edited by Snark

4 hours ago, Snark said:

It works in 1.0.5, and I had a lot of fun there.

However, there's a certain altitude below which the planet starts to go transparent (can see stars through it).  The transparency gradually increases with decreasing altitude, then at a certain point it gets violently borked and shows as a bunch of concentric white and black circles with pixelated borders.  Then get low enough below that and it comes back to normal again.

Only shows up in flight view; no problems on the map screen.

Anyone have any idea what this might be?  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Me also. @GregroxMun knows how to fix this. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.