[1.0.4] Arkas 0.2.1 - A Thick Atmosphere on a Desert World - 17 Unique Biomes - Cloud Support Added!

CoriW

Big update on the clouds!

Unfortunately, the 'sandstorms' were 1k above the ground, black, and transparent. I've completely redone the sandstorms, my KSP is loading right now so I can check out the new sandstorms.

I've also finished a few cloud maps and I've created a few configs:

- Low cloud density

- Medium cloud density

- High cloud density

- Full cloud coverage to give it a Venus-like look (You're welcome, DaZeInBok!)

I've also implemented some features from Astronomer's visual pack: Interstellar V2: when ISV2 is installed, there will be lightning all over Arkas (tested, works!), there will be a nice atmospheric glow (seen in screenshot I made earlier), and an aurora (tested, works!)

Hehehe :3

Alright I finally got to one of the split mountains (not Not-Right Mons) and after getting an actual close-up view of it I do think they should be cleaned up a bit.

I do kinda like the massive cliffs, but I dislike how they're doing the same kinda thing Kerbin's poles do. Whether or not they just get smoothed, or restored to full mountains should be up to you.

Alright so depending on the severity of the split or how much of the volcano is present, I'll either smooth it or manually add the missing part of it. (Will evaluate each one on a case by case basis)

Big update on the clouds!

Unfortunately, the 'sandstorms' were 1k above the ground, black, and transparent. I've completely redone the sandstorms, my KSP is loading right now so I can check out the new sandstorms.

I've also finished a few cloud maps and I've created a few configs:

- Low cloud density

- Medium cloud density

- High cloud density

- Full cloud coverage to give it a Venus-like look (You're welcome, DaZeInBok!)

I've also implemented some features from Astronomer's visual pack: Interstellar V2: when ISV2 is installed, there will be lightning all over Arkas (tested, works!), there will be a nice atmospheric glow (seen in screenshot I made earlier), and an aurora (tested, works!)

Whoa! I literally could not have asked for more. I also use AVP: Interstellar V2, so that's an awesome bonus! :D

Edited by CoriW

Alright so depending on the severity of the split or how much of the volcano is present, I'll either smooth it or manually add the missing part of it. (Will evaluate each one on a case by case basis)

Whoa! I literally could not have asked for more. I also use AVP: Interstellar V2, so that's an awesome bonus! :D

Well, I tested the clouds... they looked absolutely horrible. If I remember correctly, you mentioned Space Engine in an earlier post. Well, the clouds looked like disabling the atmospheres while keeping the clouds.

You understand, I was angry: all this hard work and the result is crap? God, I was pissed! And when I'm mad I can work even harder and faster.

The result is amazing. It looks like it right out of Interstellar V2. Sandstorms are rather dark in color, but they work and they're HUGE! Merciful Kod!

If anyone can help me with embedding Imgur images, I'll get you guys some screenshots right away!

After you've uploaded the image, go to the drop-down to the drop right where you username is. Click 'Images' and click the image you want to use. To the right of the image there should be a list of various formats to copy and paste around. What Enceo put down is for embedding Imgur albums. What you put between the code things is copied out of the url between the last slash and possibly something like #0.

Okay, here are some images (let's hope Imgur works!):

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I can't seem to get the hang of Imgur just yet, so here's the link.

http://imgur.com/a/dImAb

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Edit: Its beautiful. And I may have just caught myself drooling.

Edited by FungusForge

Edit: Its beautiful. And I may have just caught myself drooling.

Ahaha! Well, there are still a few small bugs to take care of:

- The atmospheric glow provided by Astronomer's Visual Pack: Edge of Oblivion (the yellow atmospheric glow, best seen in screenshot 1) is set way too high, and will disappear suddenly for no reason when entering the planet's atmopshere.

- The purple aurora is in the middle of the clouds right now, while they should be above the clouds.

- The dust from the dust storms is quite dark for some weird reason. I'm not sure how to fix this.

Also, the screenshots are only showcasing the fully clouded, Venus-like version. The other versions are still being fixed.

Okay, here are some images (let's hope Imgur works!):

http://imgur.com/a/http://imgur.com/a/dImAb

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, I can't seem to get the hang of Imgur just yet, so here's the link.

Whoa! That's amazing, truly amazing. I can't wait to see it when it's finished, along with the other versions as well. :)

Well once those clouds are released i'm gunna have to make a video on this mod.

Awesome, I'll probably include the video in the OP. :)

I have a fleet en route to Arkas. I think I might try and get some pretty pictures when they land.

Hang on a second before landing, I might get the first cloud pack finished soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Whoa! That's amazing, truly amazing. I can't wait to see it when it's finished, along with the other versions as well. :)

Awesome, I'll probably include the video in the OP. :)

Well, it uses five textures made specifically for this mod. The diffrence is the config file.

Also, I'm also going to make a video for the OP. A trailer for the mod.

News! I think I've finally found why the dust storms were black instead of sandy gold, I'm fixing it as we speak.

After that... I think you've all waited long enough, so I'll upload the first version. Should I bundle EVE with the pack?

patiently waiting for the download :D

News! I think I've finally found why the dust storms were black instead of sandy gold, I'm fixing it as we speak.

After that... I think you've all waited long enough, so I'll upload the first version. Should I bundle EVE with the pack?

Not sure if you should bundle them or not, as some people will already have EVE or other visual packs that use EVE installed. Also if it's alright with you I was hoping to add an extra folder into the main download that people can optionally add to their GameData to add the clouds in.

Sort of like this...

Arkas.zip

--> Arkas
--> GameData

--> Cloud Config
--> GameData

Not sure if you should bundle them or not, as some people will already have EVE or other visual packs that use EVE installed. Also if it's alright with you I was hoping to add an extra folder into the main download that people can optionally add to their GameData to add the clouds in.

Sort of like this...

Arkas.zip

--> Arkas
--> GameData

--> Cloud Config
--> GameData

I already added a 'separate folder'. All of the cloud textures for Arkas are stored in the 'ArkasClouds' folder which goes into the 'Textures' folder.

About the clouds themselves, I've run into a few issues that have to be fixed before release, so unfortunately it may take a few more days of trial and error.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.