[1.0.4] Arkas 0.2.1 - A Thick Atmosphere on a Desert World - 17 Unique Biomes - Cloud Support Added!

CoriW

I already added a 'separate folder'. All of the cloud textures for Arkas are stored in the 'ArkasClouds' folder which goes into the 'Textures' folder.

About the clouds themselves, I've run into a few issues that have to be fixed before release, so unfortunately it may take a few more days of trial and error.

Aww, okay man. Take your time :)

Beautiful work. Been twice already and it feels like I am actually visiting an alien world. Anxiously awaiting the addition of dust storms, although I would want only high wispy clouds as EVE is close to a Venus analog for me.

For those planning a mission - the atmosphere starts at 80k and you can land almost entirely with chutes. My Duna lander made the trip easily but lacks the dv to get back to orbit. If someone has worked out a design number, please share.

I am having a small issue. Arkas does not show up in MechJeb when trying to design for dv in the VAB. Is there something that needs to be added or is this a MJ issue? I have the latest modulemanager dll.

Nailed It. :cool:

I checked out the clouds, and I couldn't find any bug. They cover the entire planet and they look epic.

There is one small issue, though: for the awesome glow around the planet the texture 'glow' from Astronomer's Visual Pack Interstellar V2 / Edge Of Oblivion is required. I haven't seen how the planet looks without it, so I'm currently figuring out how to solve this: I don't want to use textures from other packs because that would mean that everyone had to download Interstellar V2 / Edge of Oblivion just for that texture.

I have yet to test how the dust storms work exactly, for now they just seem like a bunch of black clouds. Stay tuned!

Beautiful work. Been twice already and it feels like I am actually visiting an alien world. Anxiously awaiting the addition of dust storms, although I would want only high wispy clouds as EVE is close to a Venus analog for me.

For those planning a mission - the atmosphere starts at 80k and you can land almost entirely with chutes. My Duna lander made the trip easily but lacks the dv to get back to orbit. If someone has worked out a design number, please share.

I am having a small issue. Arkas does not show up in MechJeb when trying to design for dv in the VAB. Is there something that needs to be added or is this a MJ issue? I have the latest modulemanager dll.

Happy to see your having fun with it! :) As for the MJ issue that is very strange, as I've tried using both Kerbal Engineer Redux and MechJeb and it seems to work just fine.

KSP_Arkas_DV.png

Happy to see your having fun with it! :) As for the MJ issue that is very strange, as I've tried using both Kerbal Engineer Redux and MechJeb and it seems to work just fine.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/74725194/KSP/Debug/KSP_Arkas_DV.png

Thanks for checking. I currently have Asclepius, Kronkus, and OPM, installed in addition to Arkas (yes its kind of a busy solar system). Everything shows up in VAB except Arkas. I noticed this pack was bundled with an older version of module manager than was already on my system. If I understand it correctly, mm ignores the older version. I'll try dropping back to the older version of mm. If that doesn't work I guess I can remove Kronkus - the latest pack I added - to see if there is a conflict.

Thanks for checking. I currently have Asclepius, Kronkus, and OPM, installed in addition to Arkas (yes its kind of a busy solar system). Everything shows up in VAB except Arkas. I noticed this pack was bundled with an older version of module manager than was already on my system. If I understand it correctly, mm ignores the older version. I'll try dropping back to the older version of mm. If that doesn't work I guess I can remove Kronkus - the latest pack I added - to see if there is a conflict.

Just to clarify, which mod is bundled with an older version of module manager? Arkas is bundled with Module Manager 2.6.8 which if you look here is the most recent version.

EDIT: Although just to be sure I would delete all older versions of Module Manager from your GameData folder, just in case.

Edited by CoriW

Just to clarify, which mod is bundled with an older version of module manager? Arkas is bundled with Module Manager 2.6.8 which if you look here is the most recent version.

EDIT: Although just to be sure I would delete all older versions of Module Manager from your GameData folder, just in case.

Apologies. I was looking for a reason and made a bad assumption. Feel like one of the goofballs that reposts the latest hoaxes on Facebook. I'll check my facts next time. So, now I guess I'll pull planet packs until I find the conflict. By the way, I did remove the old mm but kept it just in case.

EDIT: Found it. The problem is the drop down menu in MJ doesn't scroll. Arkas was at the bottom. It was the only one not visible. Even removing the packs and adding this one first didn't move it up the list. Changed the MJ settings to arrow instead of drop down. Works as it should. Again, apologies for not trying this stuff first before commenting.

Edited by Red Shirt

Another update! I managed to create a 'glow' texture myself that is included in the 'ArkasClouds' directory, along with all of the other textures for Arkas. I'm now working on the other 'cloud densities', such as 'low density' and 'single cloudmap'.

I expect to have all densities finished by this weekend, and I plan to have a download link before Sunday evening.

Hang in there, everyone! The clouds are almost finished!

Another update! I managed to create a 'glow' texture myself that is included in the 'ArkasClouds' directory, along with all of the other textures for Arkas. I'm now working on the other 'cloud densities', such as 'low density' and 'single cloudmap'.

I expect to have all densities finished by this weekend, and I plan to have a download link before Sunday evening.

I am currently over-hyped. I can't wait to see the clouds myself.

Apologies. I was looking for a reason and made a bad assumption. Feel like one of the goofballs that reposts the latest hoaxes on Facebook. I'll check my facts next time. So, now I guess I'll pull planet packs until I find the conflict. By the way, I did remove the old mm but kept it just in case.

EDIT: Found it. The problem is the drop down menu in MJ doesn't scroll. Arkas was at the bottom. It was the only one not visible. Even removing the packs and adding this one first didn't move it up the list. Changed the MJ settings to arrow instead of drop down. Works as it should. Again, apologies for not trying this stuff first before commenting.

That's alright no need to apologize, we all miss things every once in awhile. :)

Great news, let me know as soon as you have a download ready and I'll release the next version of Arkas with clouds in the download. :)

Awesome news! I've finished three cloud configs. I've landed a probe on Arkas with all three configs.

The sandstorms, merciful Kod! They're kilometers high and practically everywhere! You can barely see! :confused:

I'll upload some screens to Imgur. Then I'll write the license and readme and once that's finished I'll upload it.

Let me repeat that: The clouds will be downloadable in a matter of hours!

It's here! It's finally here! At last!

The long awaited, long long awaited blue download link.

DOWNLOAD:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByAAxOQx9zkPR19BdkxoSFFmT3M/view?usp=sharing

God, I wanted to type that for so long now.

How to download: In the black bar on the top of your screen, press on the icon showing a white arrow pointing at a narrow white bar.

ENJOY!

Edited by The White Guardian
Updated download link, now redirects to version 1.1

Well I just spent several hours trying to figure out why Arkas didn't want clouds only to discover that the issue is that with using Avg's Cloud pack means there is no 'Detail1' texture, and that was causing the clouds to just plainly not load.

Anywho I finally got it working and will now investigate the clouds.

EDIT: They are amazing! Great work Guardian.

Edited by FungusForge

Well I just spent several hours trying to figure out why Arkas didn't want clouds only to discover that the issue is that with using Avg's Cloud pack means there is no 'Detail1' texture, and that was causing the clouds to just plainly not load.

Thank you for the compliment. However, the clouds not loading due to a missing texture is a serious issue that I will look into tomorrow. If nessecary I'll just create a detail1 texture myself. Thank you for informing me of this issue, and I'll fix it ASAP (if possible tomorrow morning).

- - - Updated - - -

Working as fast as humanly possible, I have already created a possible 'detail1' texture, though I have yet to view it in-game. I'll do this tomorrow morning.

Nice screenshots!

About the missing 'detail1.png' texture, I will update the download link to include the texture. According to the license of Astronomer's Visual Pack: Edge Of Oblivion I may inlude textures of that pack as long as it's for a non-commercial goal and as long as I don't claim ownership of the texture.

- - - Updated - - -

I've updated the download link. From now on it downloads version 1.1, in which the missing detail1.png texture issue should be fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Upated the download link, the issue with the detail1.png texture should be fixed now.

Newest update Version 0.2 includes MiniAVC support, fixes Ambient Lighting brightness on the dark side of the planet, and includes Cloud Support created by forum user The White Guardian

KSP 1.0.4 | 0.2

• Included Cloud Support created by The White Guardian
  • Fixed Ambient Lighting being too bright on Night Side
  • Added MiniAVC Support

Aside from that, I have also been contacted by forum user Sigma88 about having support for Arkas be added to his mod Galactic Neighborhood, so keep your eyes open for that. :)

The clouds look amazing! Here they are :)

Full Cover:

Mid Cover:

Low Cover:

Also.. Heres some more with the full clouds:

If you don't mind I'm going to include your screenshots in the OP.

Edited by CoriW

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.