[1.3.0] Inline Ballutes [IB] (v1.2.8) [30.05.2017]

riocrokite

RS is much more intuitive and realistic in this field.

EDIT: About Zylon specific heat capacity, found this figure:

http://i.imgur.com/LjPzoJq.png

I didn't really understand it, can anyone read it and tell the number from it?

IRL, specific heat is variable by temperature of whatever material/substance is being discussed. Sometimes you'll see a typical temperature defined, like 20 K.

The same is true for conduction. That graph is supposed to demonstrate its specific heat at for a range of temperatures but the left hand data (Osaka) looks pretty screwy. There's no way it's that low at those temperatures, and that's where your baseline temperature would be...

IRL, specific heat is variable by temperature of whatever material/substance is being discussed. Sometimes you'll see a typical temperature defined, like 20 K.

The same is true for conduction. That graph is supposed to demonstrate its specific heat at for a range of temperatures but the left hand data (Osaka) looks pretty screwy. There's no way it's that low at those temperatures, and that's where your baseline temperature would be...

It was taken from this document: http://www.nuui.com/Sections/Technology/Zylon/zylon_technical.pdf

Shuttle tiles also have a below normal heat capacity of 0.9 kJ/(kg*K).

It was taken from this document: http://www.nuui.com/Sections/Technology/Zylon/zylon_technical.pdf

Shuttle tiles also have a below normal heat capacity of 0.9 kJ/(kg*K).

And that's not an unusual value for something made of quartz fibers.

Thermoplastics are higher.

Call it 1250 K and call it a day

edit: when something thwarts me and vexes me, I pursue it stubbornly, but I cannot for the life of me find satisfactory information on this. Eyes glazing over staring at the screen.... braincells losing power....

I found several mistakes in the current RealChute patch. I'll fix it, tweak the values to our latest data and create a pull on Github.

yeah :blush: I started to realize errors in what I wrote as I was walking to the synagogue last evening... glad to see you found & fixed my errors

edit: when something thwarts me and vexes me, I pursue it stubbornly, but I cannot for the life of me find satisfactory information on this. Eyes glazing over staring at the screen.... braincells losing power....

Not all the information is in English, believe me. Many times i find what I'm looking for in French, Russian, Chinese and Japanese languages, sometimes even Hebrew.

Google translate for the win :D

@Enceos, have you tested your new RealChute MM patch with setups without RealHeat? Specifically:

- stock + RealChute

- FAR + RealChute

I want the mod to work with any combination of mods installed.

The ballutes survive without RealHeat, it's a pity that vessels do not. Everything is fine until the entry speed exceeds 4.7km/s. So without RealHeat people can't aerobrake on Jool, return from Jool, Moho and Eeloo, Laythe and Eve encounter. That limits ballute usage only to Duna, return from Eve and local Kerbin sphere.

As long as the Kerbalstuff upload is a zip folder named 'GameData', containing GameData/yourdirectories, it will be made available on ckan. if you upload an update not in that format, ckan will not recognize it (i've done that to myself more than once)

As long as the Kerbalstuff upload is a zip folder named 'GameData', containing GameData/yourdirectories, it will be made available on ckan. if you upload an update not in that format, ckan will not recognize it (i've done that to myself more than once)

Good point,

Lets wait till Rio merges my last pull request and uploads a new archive on Kerbalstuff with GameData as a root folder.

Good point,

Lets wait till Rio merges my last pull request and uploads a new archive on Kerbalstuff with GameData as a root folder.

I'll do it next week since I need to test this pull request before merging it.

In the meantime - the mod was featured in KottabosGames - added the video to the first post :)

I'll do it next week since I need to test this pull request before merging it.

In the meantime - the mod was featured in KottabosGames - added the video to the first post :)

I see the problem in his video :) the current drag of the ballutes is too low currently for any aerocapture. Bear in mind that current RealChute config which people download literally doesn't work cause of missing brackets. A thousand of ppl is waiting for your tests Rio ;)

Rio, some numbers to help you with testing.

2F62Enk.jpg

The deployed ballute is from the 1.25m size case.

The model of the 1.25/2.5m ballute is 34 times bigger than the case.

The model of the 3.75/5m ballute is 45 times bigger than the case.

So for Realchutes the diameter size calculations are as follows:

1.25m case = 48.13m ballute

2.5m case = 77m ballute

3.75m case = 168.75m ballute

5m case = 225m ballute

To account for the hole in the doughnut we divide the ballute aerodynamic reference area by the whole area of the circle.

1010.56/1818.83 = 0.555

So the dragCoefficient of the material should be 0.555

Stock stats:

The stock ModuleParachute calculates the size of the canopy from the model itself and drag cubes from the MODULE[ModuleDragModifier].

To get the real sizes in the rightclick menu we need to assign MODULE[ModuleDragModifier] with this numbers:

1.25m case = 1.731

2.5m case = 1.385

3.75m case = 1.565

5m case = 1.5625

Assuming the value of semiDeployedDrag = 500 of stock equals dragCoefficient = 1 of RealChutes we can account for the hole in the doughnut by multiplying this value by the %% effective area of the ballute.

500 * 0.555 = 277.5

So the drag value for stock semiDeployedDrag and fullyDeployedDrag should be 277.

If the Stock parachute module was programmed to be realistic, we get absolutely realistic results with these values.

Edited by Enceos
More Data

I took the liberty of whipping you up Inline Ballutes Themed Kermangeddon Industries logo/flag. I used textures from the mod, hope you don't mind. Use it if you want and if you want any changes to the design, size or format, let me know :)k9gr0MI.png

Rio, some numbers to help you with testing. [stuff]

Hey Enceos many thx for the testing and the texture update looks awesome. I'll have more time next week to look at this.

- - - Updated - - -

I took the liberty of whipping you up Inline Ballutes Themed Kermangeddon Industries logo/flag. I used textures from the mod, hope you don't mind. Use it if you want and if you want any changes to the design, size or format, let me know :)http://i.imgur.com/k9gr0MI.png

Looks nice, when I'm thinking of it maybe it would be good to put a flag decal option for the ballute casing or even the doughnut:) Since I've never done that I will have to check whether it's easy to do.

Looks nice, when I'm thinking of it maybe it would be good to put a flag decal option for the ballute casing or even the doughnut:) Since I've never done that I will have to check whether it's easy to do.

Decal means a new object in the model, you can't drop more than one object via ModuleParachute. If you drop the casing the flag decal will stay floating in the air.

That would look sweet if it's possible. Here is the .PSD file that includes layer and stuff, should be easier to work from that --> http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/YdUwdzx3/file.html

Decal means a new object in the model, you can't drop more than one object via ModuleParachute. If you drop the casing the flag decal will stay floating in the air.

yah, maybe with procedural parachute in RealChute could be hacked to do some sort of logo as a second deployed object but honestly it seems like too much effort for the effect so I guess no logo on the ballute for now :P

Hi! This mod looks awesome, but I was wondering why it is not on CKAN. If there is a reason for this, then I understand that some developers don't want their mod on CKAN.

Otherwise, I would be happy to write a pull request for you guys :)

Let me cite RoverDude here: "CKAN is welcome to list it, but I don't provide explicit CKAN support."

In otherwords pull request is welcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.