[1.3.0] Inline Ballutes [IB] (v1.2.8) [30.05.2017]

riocrokite

Let me cite RoverDude here: "CKAN is welcome to list it, but I don't provide explicit CKAN support."

In otherwords pull request is welcome.

The problem is the archive on Kerbalstuff doesn't have the GameData folder, with the next update if you include this folder CKAN will undrestand the archive and Ballutes will appear in the database.

For some reason https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/2384/files doesn't go in.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/issues/2386

Update: It was a bad license, I hardcoded it into the .netkan now.

https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/2387 <-waiting for this to get merged now, then it'll be on CKAN. (I installed from that file and it works)

Edited by qm3ster

Congrats. Great mod testing it right now. Since I started using ckan I became really lazy. So I had to wait for it to show, not easy when you saw the modreview and wanted it so badly! Hopfully this prevents my larger and heavy ships to just crash into the ground.

Congrats. Great mod testing it right now. Since I started using ckan I became really lazy. So I had to wait for it to show, not easy when you saw the modreview and wanted it so badly! Hopfully this prevents my larger and heavy ships to just crash into the ground.

Since I started to use CKAN, if I want to install a mod that is not on CKAN, I make my own netkan for it, and debug it until it installs the mod on my machine. Then I test it for old versions that are available for download. Then I make a pull request on GitHub to add it. I guess it's because I like procrastinating.

• 4 weeks later...
For some reason, it's not appearing. How do Install it? I moved it to game data.

check whether you have GameData/KermangeddonIndustries/InlineBallutes catalog and files in it. If not - download again and extract contents (KermangeddonIndustries folder) to your GameData folder.

Hey I have been trying to use your ballutes but I am having a lot of trouble. I can't seem to find any altitude or orbit around Kerbin that won't instantly nuke them. I tried using realheat but that didn't seem to make any difference.

What could I be doing wrong?

Hey I have been trying to use your ballutes but I am having a lot of trouble. I can't seem to find any altitude or orbit around Kerbin that won't instantly nuke them. I tried using realheat but that didn't seem to make any difference.

What could I be doing wrong?

do you use FAR or/and RealChute mods?

With stock atmo Kerbin aerocapture/aerobraking is tricky and ballute will survive only with low speeds, in other words it won't stop you from interplanetary speeds.

No I do not, but I gave it a go and it didn't seem to make any difference. I can't even get them to survive the most gentle LKO let along anything else....

I suspected maybe another mod was causing problems but using a clean KSP doesn't seem to help at all. Installed the mod using CKAN if that is any help?

No I do not, but I gave it a go and it didn't seem to make any difference. I can't even get them to survive the most gentle LKO let along anything else....

I suspected maybe another mod was causing problems but using a clean KSP doesn't seem to help at all. Installed the mod using CKAN if that is any help?

I don't think it's a ckan related issue, however I'm note responsible for ckan config. If you can could you try again with clean ksp and manual installation (not using ckan)?

Edit: yah there seems to be an issue with stock aero, I'll investigate next week when I have more time to do it properly.

Until then I suggest you use version 1.0 that works very well with stock :)

https://github.com/riocrokite/InlineBallutes/releases/tag/1.0

Thanks for the report:)

Edited by riocrokite

Thanks! I mention CKAN not because I thought you were responsible for it but because I thought there might be something wrong with the version that is on CKAN which could be different to what is on github. =)

Anyway thanks for looking into it I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
yah, it's not working for stock atmosphere in 1.0.5, it seems that the changes were made to get parachute behaviour similar to realchute, however unlike realchute code is really weirdly implemented and hard to decipher.

All in all I'll spend some time to fix it, if i'm not successful I'll just suspend support for stock atmosphere since I'd rather be doing something more productive that decipher what hidden changes to atmo were made each version.

updated version 1.2.2 (Magic Pony edition) is up. Changelog:

[LIST]
[*]added gamedata folder so it should be supported by ckan
[*]increased ballutes' weight by 20%
[*]increased strength of ballutes (putting some unrealistic values) so they work both for aerobraking and aerocapture for most planets. However their low drag means that you still need parachutes for slowing down near the surface,
[*]requirements: -> for stock aero: none -> for FAR: Module Manager and RealChute mod
[/LIST]

So in short ballutes are more capable and brake less at the expense of larger weight. New behaviour is decribed in the first post. Edited by riocrokite

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

The ropes hold, but the thing overheats until it explodes. These are only usable on Duna, but you don't really need them there.

Could you write which body have you approached and what orbital speed you had upon reentry? I ask because in the last update I buffed survivability of a ballute by a good amount so it should be now possible to reenter with a quite a speed i.e. Kerbin or Laythe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.