[1.3.0] Inline Ballutes [IB] (v1.2.8) [30.05.2017]

riocrokite

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2016 at 5:11 AM, riocrokite said:

Yah eventually :wink: Quite busy in real life at the moment, so no time to test whether it still works with stock/RealChute or not.

Will test it today or tomorrow, as soon as I test it I post my results.

EDIT: Just made a quick test today, with 35+ mods (including RealChute) and it worked fine! Tomorrow will test a little more (stock, sotck + RealChute and modded).

Edited by VaPaL

8 hours ago, VaPaL said:

Will test it today or tomorrow, as soon as I test it I post my results.

EDIT: Just made a quick test today, with 35+ mods (including RealChute) and it worked fine! Tomorrow will test a little more (stock, sotck + RealChute and modded).

cheers man, every bit of help is appreciated :)

Tested stock + Inline Ballutes, worked fine. Went straight up to 256km, them streight down, it slowed me down in time to open the parachute at 240m/s at 15km of altitude. All of the models opened fine.

Later gona test with RealChute.

No problem man, glad to help :)

EDIT: Tested with RealChute and the results were as expected.

Also tested the search on VAB and, to be fair, the same scenario without the ballute, and well... 

I did'nt test on other planets, but I think it's safe to say that everything is ok!

EDIT 2: I tested on 64bits version only.

Edited by VaPaL

Ok so my Ballutes are over heating a lot more than I would like.  What setting in its cfg should I mess with to stop them from heatsploding?  Also does having more than one of the same diameter Ballute help?

Ok i managed to fix it.  The issue was actauly the ballute container overheating.  The ballutes themselves were more or less fine but the container heatsploded.

Edited by captinjoehenry

What did you change to fix it? The heat values can be altered in the part file, but I'm curious as to what is a sensible value (or even what the problem is), since the container does seem to be heating up far faster than it should. Was there a change to conduction in this version?

On 5/18/2016 at 10:09 AM, Domfluff said:

What did you change to fix it? The heat values can be altered in the part file, but I'm curious as to what is a sensible value (or even what the problem is), since the container does seem to be heating up far faster than it should. Was there a change to conduction in this version?

Keep it occluded from the reentry shockwave. (put something in front of it.)

57 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

Keep it occluded from the reentry shockwave. (put something in front of it.)

Oh, I've been doing that, and barely grazing the atmosphere. Even with a standard LKO recently, it immediately heats up to about 75 percent tolerance, and fluctuates between 50 and 75 percent, with the part far hotter than anything else on the craft (this is currently with stock aero).

It's certainly usable as-is (with careful management it doesn't explode), but the result doesn't seem plausible, or at least intuitive. Fully prepared for this to be a problem with my expectations, mind you.

• 2 months later...

Minor bug report: the 2.5m version has a deployment altitude of 100,000 while the others are set at 10,000. @Domfluff This might be the cause of what you're experiencing, if it's the 2.5m size you're using. You'll find the relevant line in the part's config as "deployAltitude =".

@Domfluff Just used one (well, two, but I cut one) for the first time and found the heating, though keeping the containers occluded stopped bars showing up. They have a weird temp config presumably to do with the way they work. The maxSkinTemp is 1700, lower than the standard (internal) temp of 2400. Usually skin temp is higher than the regular value if it's explicitly defined at all. Ergo, upping the skin temp value is another thing you can do (I'd recommend to 2000 (consistent with rocket parts) or 2400-2500 (consistent with spaceplane parts and parachutes)). This may result in unusual(ly good) performance, as usually in configs the parts of lines after // are just comments and not part of the code, but with temps it seems like it might have something to do with shock heating instead. In any case I'm gonna try it myself just because temp settings inconsistent with stock values bother me.

3be88fdd7b.png

Edited by Guest

thx for reports guys, I'll have a look at it

edit: I remember I had to set skin temp unusually low and parachute temp super high so the player can keep an eye on how ballute is behaving in reentry heat. parachute temp was staying near 0 and then spiking up and destroying ballute suddenly at about 35-40km. So the skin temp is an approximation to ballute heating and it has it's own negative effects. In case it's overheating guys feel free to increase sking temperature in ballutes' configs to 2000 or higher.

edit 2: l increased reentry heat from 1700 to 1900 and corrected deployAltitude parameter so it'll be consistent with 'easy' KSP stock reentry mechanics.

https://github.com/riocrokite/InlineBallutes/releases/tag/1.2.5

Edited by riocrokite

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.