Tourist Lost in space

Using: Career Mode. Unlocked half way through science.

Current contract: 2 contracts involving 3 tourists each. Traveling to Mun and Minmus for 6 tourist.

Issue: Stuck in orbit around the Mun, ran out of electricity, still need to head to Minmus and return to Kerbin. Tourist cannot EVA. No Docking ports on the ship.

How can I resolve this issue so I do not lose out on these contracts? I've been looking all over the internet and youtube for a solution.

In this link the host of the video says I can use KAS to attach a ship to another, in so doing makes both vessels into one. In theory this can transfer Kerbals or whatever is in the crew quarters of one ship to another. Is this true?

What parts in KAS do this exactly? And how do I attach these parts correctly on my rescue ship. From what I understand KAS parts such as winches require additional parts to make this work. I am trying to experiment with this at the SPH and VAB launch sites, but I am having trouble building something that would allow me to practice on two spacecraft/planes.

Any detailed response would be welcomed. I am at my wits end trying to make something on the ground and practice using these KAS parts.

Thanks KSP community!

Edited by Kerbonite
Answered

When it comes to KAS, I'm "only an egg". But it seems to me your rescue ship only needs a small addition to continue on. An ordinary one kerbal craft could deliver a solar panel, battery, fuel cell, or whatever to get your original ship going again. The pilot of the repair ship could do the installation. Simply EVA, remove the panel or whatever from the repair ship, move it over to the tourist ship and install it there.

Alternatively, an all-stock repair ship could claw onto the tourist ship, so that they complete the journey together.

Edit: if you prefer KAS, then I kinda like the winch. EVA to bring a mounting plate thingy over to the tourist ship, have the repair ship release the winch cable, EVA the cable end over to the plate. Then just reel it in and dock the two ships together.

Edited by Zephram Kerman

Tourists can't EVA so indeed they're stuck. The Klaw will be much easier to use than sending up some EVA-capable Kerbonauts to use their jetpacks to push the ship home (yes this can be done but it's tedious).

I'd recommend using this rescue craft (with Klaw) to send these tourists home, if you can do so safely. If you can't get the pod the tourists are in to reenter Kerbin's atmosphere without killing the tourists, then they're pretty much doomed...might as well just chalk this one up to a loss and move on.

Lesson learned: don't let the ship run out of power. Solar panels all over the place (or thoughtfully arranged) can prevent this in the future. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

When it comes to KAS, I'm "only an egg". But it seems to me your rescue ship only needs a small addition to continue on. An ordinary one kerbal craft could deliver a solar panel, battery, fuel cell, or whatever to get your original ship going again. The pilot of the repair ship could do the installation. Simply EVA, remove the panel or whatever from the repair ship, move it over to the tourist ship and install it there.

Alternatively, an all-stock repair ship could claw onto the tourist ship, so that they complete the journey together.

Our posts arrived at about the same time. Question: Can one really make changes to a ship in flight as you suggest? Never seen that or even heard about it until now.

EDIT: Sorry, sounds like something "KAS" is being referenced, which probably allows ship changes in flight I would presume.

Sorry, sounds like something "KAS" is being referenced, which probably allows ship changes in flight I would presume.

Yep, KAS adds functionality to modify or even build ships outside the VAB/SPH. Your kerbs can carry parts around.

If you send up a Klaw with some solar panels on it, you'll be able to recharge your drained battery and continue the flight. Don't need KAS for that :)

Our posts arrived at about the same time. Question: Can one really make changes to a ship in flight as you suggest? Never seen that or even heard about it until now.

EDIT: Sorry, sounds like something "KAS" is being referenced, which probably allows ship changes in flight I would presume.

Yes, you can change a ship in flight. Either using the claw and some stuff attached to it, or KAS (Kerbal Attachment System) which lets you add or subtract some very useful bits and pieces like cables, pipes, storage bins, etc.

Edit: if you prefer KAS, then I kinda like the winch. EVA to bring a mounting plate thingy over to the tourist ship, have the repair ship release the winch cable, EVA the cable end over to the plate. Then just reel it in and dock the two ships together.

This would have to be my only option if I can remove solar panels/batteries off a ship and eva them over to other. I would love to klaw the ship and travel to minmus then back to kerbin, but since I have no electric charge on that ship I cannot use the decoupler of the damaged to reveal my heat shield. Unless the klaw allows both ships to act as a docking port, thus transfering power.

The major issue with using the klaw, since I don't have electric power, the parachutes are not working through the use of stages (spacebar) and I am not able to right-click parts individually to use them. This is all in theory since I haven't tried them yet. I guess I'm off to do some experimentations with these stock parts and/or KAS to see if it works.

Yep, KAS adds functionality to modify or even build ships outside the VAB/SPH. Your kerbs can carry parts around.

If you send up a Klaw with some solar panels on it, you'll be able to recharge your drained battery and continue the flight. Don't need KAS for that :)

Awesome respones guys.

Ok so does the solar panel part have to be built with/attached to the klaw while in the vehicle crafting station in order for this to work?

Awesome respones guys.

Ok so does the solar panel part have to be built with/attached to the klaw while in the vehicle crafting station in order for this to work?

Basically you need to build a ship with solar panels on it and a Klaw, either in the SPH/VAB or by docking other ships together in space. Then go rendezvous your ship with the tourist vessel, grab it with the claw, and hey presto you have one new ship with solar panels on it and the batteries charging. When the batteries are charged you can detach the klaw and continue with the mission, or keep the klaw attached but CoM will probably be way off centre now. If doing the second (because battery life is too low for successful completion), I'd probably just try to get back home.

Since I don't think it's been mentioned yet, you can transfer tourists and crew through the claw the same as a docking port so you could send up a new ship with solar panels and transfer the crew into it before discarding the old ship.

Thanks so much! I'm not far away in science to get the klaw which I am going that route and I have to make a landing on the Mun soon so as soon as I log more science I'm going to send a rescue ship and get the tourist the rest of the way and complete the mission. Thanks for the suggestions and response you guys!

Now back to Kerbal Space Program and beyond!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.