Throttle "Overdrive"

ZooNamedGames

After playing KSP for almost 3 years I have finally come to a realization... on the throttle meter, there's 100%, then theres a small segment in red. I'm wondering, what if that's a way to "overdrive" (can't remember a better word), but basically get the engine to go beyond max power, but at the cost of efficiency (massive ISP drop), increased heat production, and possible damage to the engine (drop max throttle overall, drop ISP, etc). This would be extra nice in aircraft as afterburners, or during a suicide burn straight down where a small extra kick is what can save you from crashing into the surface at 100+m/s.

Any chance someone would be up to making this a thing? Anyone ELSE think this is a cool/good idea? Stock worthy?

That is a remnant from a mechanic that was removed a very long time ago. It was sort of like an overthrottle, yes. Overthrottle rocket engines has no basis in reality. They are precision instruments that run based on months of calculations at predetermined thrust for predetermined lengths of time. The pilot doesn't just think to himself "hey, I'd like to go faster".

EDIT: Went back and looked. It was removed in 0.11 replaced by the RCS indicator. Here is a video that shows it.

Edited by Alshain

That is a remnant from a mechanic that was removed a very long time ago. It was sort of like an overthrottle, yes. Overthrottle rocket engines has no basis in reality. They are precision instruments that run based on months of calculations at predetermined thrust for predetermined lengths of time. The pilot doesn't just think to himself "hey, I'd like to go faster".

EDIT: Went back and looked. It was removed in 0.11 replaced by the RCS indicator. Here is a video that shows it.

And your saying KSP is realistic? With little green men with no structures outside of hangers, pyramids and a space centers? Bodies with extreme densities? Aerodynamics which don't work in reality? ISPs of rockets which are extremely poor? Jet engines which are extremely OP? I can go on...

In this case of my request, A) it's a mod, you can do anything, no need for reality. B) It's a cool idea, and lastly C) it's a feature which should be added.

Kerbal pilots have no since of training and moreover people max/minimum their throttle like mad! Hence the lack of realism!! Go watch a LPer's first videos of landing on the Mun, they move the throttle up and down constantly. Lastly on this, the KSP engines are not RS-25s, J-2Xs, or anything fancy. As much of them say, they were found in a junkyard or by the side of the road.

However being nice to your realism, I have read a lot about engine development and ik this isn't realistic... But it's just for fun and KSP :) . (Please don't take any part of this post as mean, or rude, sorry if it seems it).

Not exactly what you want but if you want some sort of afterburner try my mod "Afterburner".

You would have to create a module manager patch for whichever engines you want it on.

Yeah I'm looking for more of an overdrive/overthrottle working on all engines ( however I would like to see your mod incorporated into this one once it's made).

Oh my god! It's Tyler Raiz! The god of RSS!

I'd like that considering that many engines tend to have their "100%" be the maximum safe operating state. I'm not quite sure if this applies to rocket engines, but still.

Actually, I'm suddenly disappointed Mainsails no longer have overheating issues.

So it's obvious the community WANTS overdrive-able engines, but who will make this mod? Who will ask for it to be made stock?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, some engines seem weak. Having a little kick at the beginning of a launch can also help.

I'm not sure I would say the "community" wants this (yet,) when only a few people have actually said they would like it so far. I do agree there could be some kind of emergency overthrottle, but I know for a fact that it would rarely be used for the emergency purpose, it would be another mechanic that would be exploited in some way, but I guess every game is like that. Oh well, would still be fun. c:

I suppose to balance it, making the engine rapidly overheat or have a chance of failure (as mentioned in the original post, but in my view, actually requiring a Kerbal to get out and repair the engine kind of thing, might be a nice feature as well) during the overdrive would be interesting. I think I like the idea. :wink:

However, speaking of overdrive and overheating, there's already Thermal Control Systems, when to be honest, when is heat such a massive issue to require that? I mean, you have mining, sure. There's also using big engines and SRBs which tend to overheat, which could be bad in space, but designs should be made to avoid that. I think Squad has something under their sleeve, because I've never personally had to use the huge thermal panels yet. Maybe there is an overdrive in the works or something similar?

Edited by CommanderArma

I'm not sure I would say the "community" wants this (yet,) when only a few people have actually said they would like it so far. I do agree there could be some kind of emergency overthrottle, but I know for a fact that it would rarely be used for the emergency purpose, it would be another mechanic that would be exploited in some way, but I guess every game is like that.

I suppose to balance it, making the engine rapidly overheat or have a chance of failure (as mentioned in the original post, but in my view, actually requiring a Kerbal to get out and repair the engine kind of thing, might be a nice feature as well) during the overdrive would be interesting. I think I like the idea. :wink:

However, speaking of overdrive and overheating, there's already Thermal Control Systems, when to be honest, when is heat such a massive issue to require that? I mean, you have mining, sure. There's also using big engines and SRBs which tend to overheat, which could be bad in space, but designs should be made to avoid that. I think Squad has something under their sleeve, because I've never personally had to use the huge thermal panels yet. Maybe there is an overdrive in the works or something similar?

Well a community can be any size. Doesn't have to be every member, and moreover when the majority of the spoken community agrees, then I can apply a general hypothetical ratio to the rest.. Until I get a 1 against.

Everything can be exploited- there are Kraken drives and such, obviously there are problems greater than this.

I find my idea easier, without mechanic repairs. Granted it would work MOD WISE with KerbalMechanics which already has that as a feature. My idea works nicer and is easier to implement.

Aside from re-entry heat has never been an issue. Never. So I don't think they have an overdrive in the works, I'm thinking more Interstellar maybe, or near future. Easier to implement and still a worthwhile feature to the game.

Well a community can be any size. Doesn't have to be every member, and moreover when the majority of the spoken community agrees, then I can apply a general hypothetical ratio to the rest.. Until I get a 1 against.

Aside from re-entry heat has never been an issue. Never. So I don't think they have an overdrive in the works, I'm thinking more Interstellar maybe, or near future. Easier to implement and still a worthwhile feature to the game.

Well, that's true, along with the already exploitable things. There's countless aerodynamic bugs that will probably be changed a lot later, or so I hope. :P As far as Interstellar? Wasn't sure if you were referring to the movie or actual interstellar exploring in the game. XD Either way, that's a possibility.

Although it wouldn't really go in here, if overdriving is going to be a thing, I think overclocking could be a mechanic as well. AKA: Overpowering modules like an antenna \ dish to temporarily send out data as soon as possible in an impending dead-on-impact event, could be overdriving those engines while doing it too! :D I might make a thread about that, unless that's already a thing.

Well, that's true, along with the already exploitable things. There's countless aerodynamic bugs that will probably be changed a lot later, or so I hope. :P As far as Interstellar? Wasn't sure if you were referring to the movie or actual interstellar exploring in the game. XD Either way, that's a possibility.

Although it wouldn't really go in here, if overdriving is going to be a thing, I think overclocking could be a mechanic as well. AKA: Overpowering modules like an antenna \ dish to temporarily send out data as soon as possible in an impending dead-on-impact event, could be overdriving those engines while doing it too! :D I might make a thread about that, unless that's already a thing.

I was referring to the Interstellar mod pack, since it's realistic and it has several parts which can produce a lot of heat, such as nuclear reactors, which need to be vented through such methods as the giant radiators.

Well I'm basing this overdriving mechanic on the already existent red portion of the throttle meter. It's already there, let me have it!! As to the antennas and such, that's a different request. I just want overdrive-able engines (or afterburners for aircraft engines (yes IK theres a mod for afterburners already, but I'd like to see it incorporated into this one)).

Like i said before you can use the afterburner mod to achieve exactly that. You would only have to make your own module manager config file for all the engines.

And to activate the afterburner you would have to assign it to an action group which fits perfectly the use case of an emergency kind of boost.

You know, that actually looks kinda easy. I might try and do that.

EDIT: I've done the Mainsail, Skipper, Rhino, and Mammoth. I'll do the rest after some sleep and probably make a thread for it. Just throw the config into Afterburners folder. LINK

Edited by FungusForge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.