One Burn Makes All.

OV-099

This is my first challenge, so bear with me. :)

The Goal: Get in another celestial body's SOI in ONE BURN.

Rules:

• ​Throttle must not go below 50%. Doing so means your burn has ended.
  • (OPTIONAL) Jettison engine after the burn.
  • RCS is allowed, but no using it for burns.
  • No funny business.
  • You can use thrust limiters, just don't let them go under 50%.
  • Any STOCK engines or SRBs are allowed. You don't need to have it all in one stage, as you may think.
  • No standby engines that produce hardly (2 kN or less) any thrust. I'm looking at you ion and LV-1 engines.
  • No part mods. Mods that add effects are allowed.
  • Provide evidence that you only made one burn. Video is preferred over screenshots.

Difficulty Levels:

• Easy Mode: Mün in one burn.
  • Medium Mode: Minmus and Mun in one burn
  • Hard Mode: Duna in one burn.
  • Super Mode: Jool in one burn.
  • Ultra Mode: Impress me.

Leaderboard/Accomplishers:

• Easy Mode: StanK
  • Medium Mode:
  • Hard Mode:
  • Super Mode:
  • Ultra Mode:

Good luck and Have fun.

Edited by OV-099

You should post your entry first.

Well, only if there's some doubt about the possibility of completing the challenge. This is certainly possible.

May I suggest a small alteration to the difficulty curve? Since Minmus and the Mun are both about the same difficulty, how about making a new difficulty level for "both Mun and Minmus in the same flight"? That would be pretty fun.

Edited by wossname

Jettisoning the engine might change your course so that you might lose the encounter even if you had one after the burn. Also a singe burn from where? From launchpad? From LKO? From any Kerbin orbit? Somewhere else?

One burn from the launchpad.

Also, sorry if i'm not active, my finals are this week.

I assume no tweakscale?

Also, if any engine is allowed, watch out for those torch drives from Karbonite+, and possibly those from Interstellar.

EDIT: Are SRBs allowed? Not sure if you consider those as separate from regular engines. I mean, are we allowed to put on SRBs and jettison them? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in the spirit of the challenge, but just asking here.

Edited by smjjames

So I don't have to do it all in one stage (which helps), but just to clarify, having at least one engine actually doing something (so not burning into the decoupler) at all times until cutting throttle/running out of fuel, will still count correct? I mean I still gotta set up a full stock install (since I use VSR and NFT some stock parts are affected), but I think this is something needing clarification.

So I don't have to do it all in one stage (which helps), but just to clarify, having at least one engine actually doing something (so not burning into the decoupler) at all times until cutting throttle/running out of fuel, will still count correct?

That may be vulnerable to exploiting by using a standby ion engine which hardly produces any thrust even when burning flat out...

That may be vulnerable to exploiting by using a standby ion engine which hardly produces any thrust even when burning flat out...

I was asking because my plan was to run a couple of spiders, and then decouple to engage an ion engine. I'm not quite sure if it'd be disqualified, and it'd be a waste of a Jool mission if it does disqualify.

Made it! To the mun's SOI using only SRBs that all fire at liftoff. I did reduce the trust in the VAB to make sure some made it until the end - and with a less than insane TWR.

In total the probe visited the mun's SOI three times, with a fourth time warping glitched it out of that of Kerbin. To be honest, I was not sure on the details of what would be allowed in flight - starting engines, trust limiting etc. - and chose for this design.

I thought to go with screenshots and SRBs are the easy way to prove there's no throttling, but I happened to record it and did forget to take any screenshots.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.