[Plugin/Parts] Kerbal Foundries - Continuation [Latest: 1.9g]

Gaalidas

Very cool. There's a module in KF which can swap meshes automatically depending which side the wheels are mounted, which ought to be handy for that lovely tread pattern. Glad the tutorial was helpful!

Very cool. There's a module in KF which can swap meshes automatically depending which side the wheels are mounted, which ought to be handy for that lovely tread pattern. Glad the tutorial was helpful!

yah thanks for the great tutorial :)

I've spent 2 days trying to work out tire deflating animation, however moving / rescaling suspension / wheel elements via parents seems to be tricky since elements don't behave like they should be. I have the best restults using parent node that moves up and scales down wheelCollider (somehow this takes care of all of the animation). However... this works to some extent so for example when I scale down wheelCollider the whole wheel goes up. So if I want to scale down and move up wheelCollider (in animation) it ends up being too high. Or it is in the right place but wheel collider is to big compared to scaled mesh :( I'm making/tweaking animations in unity since it's faster. You can see below that although deflated wheels are in correct position wheel colliders are too big so the whole frmae is above ground and can drive :P

ntKlOp9.png

Edited by riocrokite

Deployability is one thing that never really worked well with the KF modules. An example of this is the ASET wheels for his ERS rover. With some work, lo-fi got a deploy/retract state that could be set, and the module detected and hooked into the stock animation module, but there were still some oddities with having retracted, yet still drive-enabled, wheels on launch even when "start deployed" was set.

I started a mini project to make a KF-friendly animation and deploy/retract module but, due to time constraints and the passing of the torch from lo-fi to me, I never took it beyond a basic animation implementation.

Come to think of it, I uninstalled all your frame parts a while back and I don't remember why. I need to grab those again.

Are those wheels KF-enabled, or are you sticking with the stock modules still?

EDIT: In brainstorming with myself, and thinking as a plugin author here, I'd think that a retracted, and thus disabled as well, state could be achieved simply by adding a new boolean check to all the methods that handle the wheel's functionality that, when false (retracted), simply skips all of those functions. Then the animation class would simply update that boolean to match the state of the wheel.

Hmm... I need to dive back into the code now... I might be on to something....

Edited by Gaalidas

Deployability is one thing that never really worked well with the KF modules. An example of this is the ASET wheels for his ERS rover. With some work, lo-fi got a deploy/retract state that could be set, and the module detected and hooked into the stock animation module, but there were still some oddities with having retracted, yet still drive-enabled, wheels on launch even when "start deployed" was set.

I started a mini project to make a KF-friendly animation and deploy/retract module but, due to time constraints and the passing of the torch from lo-fi to me, I never took it beyond a basic animation implementation.

Come to think of it, I uninstalled all your frame parts a while back and I don't remember why. I need to grab those again.

Are those wheels KF-enabled, or are you sticking with the stock modules still?

EDIT: In brainstorming with myself, and thinking as a plugin author here, I'd think that a retracted, and thus disabled as well, state could be achieved simply by adding a new boolean check to all the methods that handle the wheel's functionality that, when false (retracted), simply skips all of those functions. Then the animation class would simply update that boolean to match the state of the wheel.

Hmm... I need to dive back into the code now... I might be on to something....

I play with stock module animation, I think the behaviour for KF plugin would be the same, those wheel elements are really hard to handle :P Thanks that you're thinking about it. Disabling/enabling wheel collider would be only thing I would need (maybe disabling motor and steering as well:)). However the event would need to wait for the end of animation when retracting wheel and be the first element to be enabled for deployment animation (to avoid jumping or suddenly falling of the vehicle in low G bodies).

You'd need something to identify if the animation is running in addition to the usual retracted/extended states. I know it's been done with other plugins that implement their own animations. I should really dig into some of the landing gear modules, stock and modded, and see how they handle that stuff.

Look at my module for the animatronic engines on the Space Tug. Animations can be controlled by more than just "play/stop". Plug that into the deploy/retract routine and problem solved. I can see how to do it, but you'll learn more getting stuck in yourself :)

Yep, still here keeping an occasional eye. Think of me as a post-death ghost-Yoda type of presence ;)

And scale not the wheel colliders. Make life hard for yourself, you will.

Look at my module for the animatronic engines on the Space Tug. Animations can be controlled by more than just "play/stop". Plug that into the deploy/retract routine and problem solved. I can see how to do it, but you'll learn more getting stuck in yourself :)

Yep, still here keeping an occasional eye. Think of me as a post-death ghost-Yoda type of presence ;)

And scale not the wheel colliders. Make life hard for yourself, you will.

hehe yah :) I'll look into that eventually, for now I'm pleased with temporary effect. I'll wait till 1.1 release and then finish it, until then I'll churn out bigger deflatable wheel ;) and have some fun using burn together mod ;)

LK5TH2N.png

hello, i have been using kerbal foundries for a while now and i have started to notice that when i have a craft out in the field and i want to play as another craft, as soon as i pause the game then continues to play, i have removed the craft with the tracks and then repeated the test and it worked fine, any help?

The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing! 
(Filename: Line: 1771)

This is my first time doing this....is this correct? (BTW i have tried a mod re-install and it didnt work)

Edited by Ratboyslim

Gaalidas:

Currently I'm customizing audio work, and I've replaced the audio for the APU turbine with something of significantly higher quality. When I finish working out and smoothing the resultant audio files (three of them), would you like them to stick into the mod and replace that low quality hiss that claims to be a turbine sound?

I believe gaalidas is busy with college work, but as the creator of the original turbine sound, I'd like to say, on his behalf, thank you very much - that would be great!

Uploaded to here:

https://www./?psk1md0hjy51yqj

The .rar file contains multiple sounds and some base sounds for them. The APU sound effect to use is in the folder Realistic_APU. I also have an interesting mellow sounding APU, some helicopter sounds to replace the firespitter main rotor sound with, an SR-71 turbojet (KSPTjet folder), and a very interesting jet effect I call 'stardrive' (no folder).

If you know what you're looking for, high quality youtube videos can be a massive source of raw audio effects. The sound 'turbine_start_master' which I made the realistic APU sound from is actually comprised of audio from 3 different helicopter videos layered together. [Allison 250, MD500, and a Gazelle]

Edited by AdmiralTigerclaw

Great job taking over as maintainer. Glad to see something also on the horizon. Have yet to get to a place in career mode to use these, but they are on the list for when I start dropping colonies on other planets/moons. Hhhmmm i wonder who was rude and abrasive about CKAN..... :rolleyes:

it seems that tweaking a bit 'mass' value for wheel collider works as a 'smoother' for too strong breaks and power torque. For now I gave up on deployability (until I get more motivation to do it), in the meantime having some fun on the mun:

The mass value actually represents the mass that the collider is moving.. for some perverse reason, it's not detected via the attached rigidybody.. The astute among you will see that in KSP, this needs passing to the colliders via the plugin, as it is obviously not constant!

The mass value actually represents the mass that the collider is moving.. for some perverse reason, it's not detected via the attached rigidybody.. The astute among you will see that in KSP, this needs passing to the colliders via the plugin, as it is obviously not constant!

well yah, everything I use is sort of temporary since we all are waiting for U5 ;)

Sp, a little update for you all. I've been busy with school, battling financial aid for the money I need to continue my schooling, and (most recently) I've been battling burnt-out syndrome (partially unable to build interest in continuing this mod right now, and the other part is simply not wanting to work on something that may be borked by U5) and (extremely recently) battling a nasty head cold.

So, yeah... life sorta sucks right now, but I ain't giving up on this baby yet!

Update: Basically, my time table is this:

1) wait for 1.1 of KSP and then freak out a bit.

2) freak out some more.

3) finish the freak out session and begin fixing things.

4) freak out because my fixes are lame and I have no idea what I'm doing.

5) beg for help and eventually get things settled.

6) begin working on a a new release.

7) maybe... just maybe get a new release of this baby out with any contributions from y'all, and hopefully some updated features and whatnot.

On the up side, my college work is revealing a lot of ways that KSP modding can be made extremely efficient and I may be on the verge of being able to create some extendable classes so that KF can, eventually, become a base for other mods to hook into. No promises of course, but I'd sure love it if these various wheel features could be referenced in other mods and used to reduce the need for other modders to reinvent the wheel... both figuratively and literally... I think...

I was telling a classmate about how I'd worked on this mod and we'd reinvented the wheel. I don't think he took it very seriously until I showed him the wheels and then he responded with "wait... seriously? You actually reinvented the wheel?" Yes, my friend, we literally reinvented the wheel, and then reinvented it figuratively, and then reinvented it literally again and this mod is the result. If you're not confused, then I'm not explaining this right.

- - - Updated - - -

it seems that tweaking a bit 'mass' value for wheel collider works as a 'smoother' for too strong breaks and power torque. For now I gave up on deployability (until I get more motivation to do it), in the meantime having some fun on the mun:

Holy crud those are some huge wheels. I want them. So badly.

Edited by Gaalidas

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I found a REALLY major bug, I'm using the wheels on a VTOL craft that I'm using trying to test something with TCA and when I pause the game with esc, the game doesn't actually pause. Those dustfx errors I mentioned earlier are happening at the same time.

Not sure why nobody has noticed it before now actually, or has it been?

Edit: Output log: http://sta.sh/0285g412sycp

Edited by smjjames