[Plugin/Parts] Kerbal Foundries - Continuation [Latest: 1.9g]

Gaalidas

42 minutes ago, Neutrinovore said:

Nope, I didn't FORGET those, I include those in the list of wheels that never worked properly for me.  Of course, I guess that when they were NEW, TT's Multiwheels and the Caterpillar track mod would have been hot stuff, considering that before them there were basically NO wheels in KSP whatsoever, but I wasn't playing the game quite that early, lol.  I think I came in just about when version 0.20 was released, so by then KSP already had stock wheels.  Like I said above, they SUCKED, but at the time we didn't really have anything to compare them to, better or otherwise.  Later on, however, when I personally discovered the mods you mentioned, I didn't really feel like they worked as well as all of the hype surrounding them indicated, so I always found them pretty disappointing.

Anyway, yeah... I guess that's all I have to say about that.  :) 

Don't forget the long forgotten Bob Cat rover wheels and Duna Rover packs.

58 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

Don't forget the long forgotten Bob Cat rover wheels and Duna Rover packs.

True, BobCat's stuff worked (past tense), but it still wasn't optimal, because it required the control direction of the rover to be 'up' instead of 'forward', and it used translation controls instead of KSP's own 'wheel' controls, and there wasn't any way to re-bind the control keys to anything else, so if you (like me) used custom key-bindings for pretty much everything, you were up the unsanitary tributary without the proper means of locomotion.  :wink: And actually I have no idea about that last thing, the Duna Rover thing, never heard of it.  But that's probably because you referred to them as 'long forgotten', so there you go.  :) 

22 hours ago, lo-fi said:

I could probably use some help figuring out how best to apply forces, making a grip model and how best to calculate a few things, if you don't mind me picking your brain?

I'll be delighted to help if I can.

However, I wonder if I can be cheeky and bug you again about the pre-baked source for some of the parts?

58 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Sorry - yes, of course! What do you need?

The preferred form for making modifications - eg if I were going to try and fix the droopy wheel on the Mole Tracks. What you're working with in Unity in the second half of the Track Setup tutorial, which I think compiles into the model.mu file?

Edited (maybe) to ask: I wonder if we should just sit on our hands until 1.1.1...

Edited by damerell
foo bar baz

I'm also waiting for this to come, I enjoyed the repulsors a lot... :-), making pod racers with wheels is muuuuuuuuuuuch harder and not very cool sadly :-(.

gogogo! :D

9 hours ago, damerell said:

Edited (maybe) to ask: I wonder if we should just sit on our hands until 1.1.1...

1.1.1 is out, off your hands and back to work! :)

20 hours ago, Neutrinovore said:

And actually I have no idea about that last thing, the Duna Rover thing, never heard of it.  But that's probably because you referred to them as 'long forgotten', so there you go.  :) 

DEMV series. Marks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6. We never got III and he was WIP another one before he went poofski. I still use the cockpits but his wheels were rendered obsolete when I got the RollKage/Kerchelin wheels, and those were put into obsolescence by the long tracks from this mod.

48 minutes ago, Kenobi McCormick said:

DEMV series. Marks 1, 2, 4, 5, 6. We never got III and he was WIP another one before he went poofski. I still use the cockpits but his wheels were rendered obsolete when I got the RollKage/Kerchelin wheels, and those were put into obsolescence by the long tracks from this mod.

Oh, yeah, you were still meaning BobCat's Duna Rovers, yeah, I really liked those for a  while.  Still didn't like the 'translation controls' thing, but for a while they were the only rovers I would use because they WORKED.  Until, like you said, a KSP update killed the CleverWalrus plugin for good.  As for BobCat's stuff, the only thing I still use are most of the parts from the MPSS Nautilus pack, although I just discovered that 1.1 has broken the inflatable centrifuge part... bah, off topic, sorry, anyway, yeah, now I know what you were talking about, lol.  :)

On 4/27/2016 at 4:09 PM, Eskandare said:

I have tested this physics engine. I put a full scale O'Neill Cylinder in orbit, but as a static. The engine seems robust enough even against a brief kraken attack from placing a masive colider in game. I've been lovingly pushing the engine and it seems to be playing well.y next approach is to make it a part and see what happens.

Sorry, I remember now. You have a copy of Unity 4.2.2? I'll create a .unitypackage with the relevant bits in for you.

1.1.1 has a lot of wheel tweaks in. Having a go now, as they're modified some of the global settings for wheels (if I've read the release notes correctly)

EDIT: Yeah, gonna lose the will to live if I keep on like this. Actually worse that before for random, sporadic, crazy behaviour. And that's just me...

Edited by lo-fi

On 9/19/2015 at 0:29 PM, Gaalidas said:

I have been given the blessings and permissions to continue the Kerbal Foundries mod in the absence of our fearless leader lo-fi. He's moved on, more or less. Considering all the work he's put forth to reinvent the wheel, quite literally, I believe he has more than earned a long vacation. I don't believe he's gone for good, but we may not actually hear a lot from him. However, I share in his vision and still have a lot of interest in this simulation (I prefer not to call KSP a game since it is so much more.)

New: (10/27/2015)

Forum user "run1235" has done some work on getting some of the KF parts into appropriate CTT (Community Tech Tree) nodes, and I have compiled those configs into an easy MM (Module Manager) patch. Once decompressed, the GameData folder within is ready to be simply dropped on top of your existing one. Nothing will be replaced... at least I don't think it will. The file is using a new directory structure that will be used when I update this mod next, but should be fully compatible with whatever you all have installed right now. Of course, it goes without saying that you'll need Module Manager and CTT installed to see any effect from this patch. (Yeah, I just said it... so I guess it goes with saying, eh?) Archive is located here: Dropbox Link

The following is a statement regarding support of a certain 3rd Party tool, or the apparent lack thereof.

I do not support the use of CKAN or any other mod-updating tool. No one is stopping you from trying it but, if it fails, it is not my problem. I will not write extra batch files to force this tool/utility to recognize the new version of the MOD that is available. The problem exists within the tool/utility and it is the job of those authors to fix the problem with how they handle such things if it is worth their time to do so. The only supported way of installing this mod is the way everyone installed mods before CKAN came along, and that is to drag the folder into GameData directly from the zip. It isn't too difficult to track new versions of the mod on your own, or through the KerbalStuff subscription system. If/When KSP releases an official mod managing application, I will do everything possible to make sure everything works as intended.

It is not my intention to be the rear end of a mule to anyone by saying this, but the fact remains that I am only the new maintainer of this mod and for the last year or so I have only been contributing to it with no access to the KerbalStuff release page. KerbalStuff does not allow me to change the version numbers for past releases, so the best I can do is remove the errant releases from the site to fix any issues people might be having with a 3rd party mod manager. that I have done, and that is all that I can do at this time. This has nothing to do with willingness to work on a solution, but rather has to do with my limited time and energy to worry about it. The only true reason I am taking the lead with KF right now is because I do not want to see it simply disappear with the disappearance of lo-fi from the modding scene. This is not to say that new and exciting things are not being worked on, but I cannot spend as much time on it as I used to. Unfortunately this also means I won't be able to re-publish to KerbalStuff, or work on moving everything over to my github repository for the continued work at this time.

So please take this into consideration before you send me a private message with some new idea about how I can fix CKAN or how I should be taking better care of version numbering for releases that were published before I took over the mod.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old News: (pre-10/27/2015)

Now, on to some newer stuff. I'm working on writing a set of modules that might make it easier to convert old wheels to the KF modules. I make no promises, but there are some parameters that can be brought it automatically from the existing ModuleWheel information about the wheel itself such as the transform names and collider names. Other values can be initialized at their defaults and work with most wheels that have been created for KSP. Ideally, one would still write their configs specifically for the KF modules, but I might be able to make it easier to do quick and dirty conversions by simply adding a new module to the config and letting the plugin do the work at run time.

I'm also dabbling in making DustFX into something that will work on KF wheels, stock wheels, landing gear, etc. without requiring separate plugins to be loaded. In that same line of development is an attempt to make the KF functionality more modular allowing for wheels that have no suspension to speak of, but could still use the more efficient steering mechanisms. The opposite is also desired, having a wheel that has no steering at all but still could use the suspension system.

Finally, I am working on a way to re-use the WaterSlider module to make tracks/wheels/screws usable in water. The plan is to basically place the water slider slightly under the water, but high enough that the craft can still be considered not-splashed. The wheels/tracks/whatever would then have a solid surface to roll over. There would, of course, be code written to maintain a higher drag on the craft due to having to displace water instead of atmosphere like a rover does on land. I'm also going to try and make the depth of the slider panel respond to the scale of the wheels on the craft but, with multiple wheels capable of having different scales, keeping track of what depth should be used could be tricky. All of this is being done, however, to circumvent the issues with buoyancy, annoying splash effects, and stability in water. The inspiration is to imitate an over-filled, monster-sized tire on a small vehicle allowing the vehicle to float and/or maintain enough speed on the water to hydroplane across the surface in a semi-controlled manner.

So, that's my news so far. Fixing links and such for this thread is still on the to-do list, but it all comes down to time and energy. I don't get out of my later class until 7:40pm on most week days, so I end up with little time to do any hobby work.

I just have a particular question. Is there any hope for Kerbal Foundries on 1.1.1? The versions I have in my files are not compatible with it.

Not for the foreseeable future - see previous posts for details.

Gaaidas hasn't been seen for a while, which is problematic with respect to updating the OP... I'll speak to a mod, or were going to get bombarded with questions like that, I fear!

1 minute ago, lo-fi said:

Gaaidas hasn't been seen for a while, which is problematic with respect to updating the OP... I'll speak to a mod, or were going to get bombarded with questions like that, I fear!

Ok then. I respect the current status of the mod and i totally understand. Right now I'll check the previous posts

5 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

just a FYI, if you google Kerbal Foundries to find the thread (i hate the forum search, it blows) it still points to your old thread.   maybe could temporarily have this one shut and the old one re-opened?