[1.2.x] Aviator Arsenal - World War 2 aircraft weaponry (v1.3)

tetryds

I really love the mod, it's by far my favourite BD Armoury extension mod so far. The models and beautiful and crisp, and each weapon feels like it has a purpose.

However, there are a few errors in the descriptions:

- All of the bombs have the incorrect sentence, 'Meant to use with the Structural Bomb Mount'; Meant for use?

- The 1000lb bomb states, 'Extemelly efficient against buildings'

- The 7mm Ammo box's description reads, 'which uses ammo on this calibre'

- The short barrel MG 151 has an incorrect apostrophe: 'when accompanied by it's longer brother.'

- The long barrel MG 151's description states, 'but the faster fire rate was proven efficient...'. Has proven efficient?

Needless to say, none of this denigrates from any of the fantastic work that went into the mod. Just trying to help out in whatever way I can. :)

-

Thanks Littlerift, typos happen when you have a lot of other stuff to worry about...

...and I just noticed that my typo indicator was turned off for no reason, what is wrong with you Notepad++?

The next update will fix these errors.

I will probably rewrite some of them too, it was just not the highest priority for this first release.

And it's not just the feels, each weapon has indeed a very specific purpose.

But I'm never going to spoil it :)

So, two suggestions:

The first is that the 40mm probably should have a small explosion where the shell hits. And should probably have a more imposing sound when firing. I dunno, maybe it's historically supposed to sound like a spitballgun and bounce like a bullet. :P

The second is that the textures can probably be condensed a little bit. It looks like the Hispanos both use the same texture, as do the Breda-SAFATs and the non-pod MG151/20s. The ammo boxes and the bombs have similar, but not identical textures for the lettering, and those could probably be condensed as well, but that would require more effort; basically, separate out the lettering portion for a texture (or section of a texture) for each of those, but use a common texture for the rest. They're all very pretty, but unnecessary RAM usage reduces the amount of greater prettiness that can be included.

So, two suggestions:

The first is that the 40mm probably should have a small explosion where the shell hits. And should probably have a more imposing sound when firing. I dunno, maybe it's historically supposed to sound like a spitballgun and bounce like a bullet. :P

The second is that the textures can probably be condensed a little bit. It looks like the Hispanos both use the same texture, as do the Breda-SAFATs and the non-pod MG151/20s. The ammo boxes and the bombs have similar, but not identical textures for the lettering, and those could probably be condensed as well, but that would require more effort; basically, separate out the lettering portion for a texture (or section of a texture) for each of those, but use a common texture for the rest. They're all very pretty, but unnecessary RAM usage reduces the amount of greater prettiness that can be included.

Yep, I'm quite aware of those problems related to textures... I've made a basic setup for the first release, but optimizations are coming in the next update. Plus I could add the fact that those textures are quite large (1024x1024) , which is a lot for such a small weapon like the breda-safat. I'm still figuring out BDArmory's side of things, so there is a whole lot to improve, plus Tetryds is working on some new sound effects, so they should be out soon enough.

@ferram4: Yeah I also want them to explode, but during my testing a cannon type weapon with zero explosion parameters did not behave exactly like a machine gun with the same bullet speed and mass.

I will see if I can find anything on the source code and balance explosive shells on the future, cannot promisse it for the next update though.

@TUKE: our next update will have some turrets.

There was no reason to animate any of our weapons so far.

Edited by tetryds

Totally love the mod, but I have some suggestions.

Those rocket rails found on AD-2 and Hurricane MK II might be good addition for this mod.

A MK-108/103 cannon.

I'm also trying to write a MM config that makes 20mm guns provided by the mod use the default 20mms provided by BDA.

With all due respect, why did you add separate parts and resources?

Totally love the mod, but I have some suggestions.

Those rocket rails found on AD-2 and Hurricane MK II might be good addition for this mod.

A MK-108/103 cannon.

I'm also trying to write a MM config that makes 20mm guns provided by the mod use the default 20mms provided by BDA.

With all due respect, why did you add separate parts and resources?

Mainly for balance reasons, the stock BDArmory ammo boxes don't really meet the requirements.

This is specially important for BAD-T.

Another important reason is that this pack is meant to be fully standalone, the objective is to not need anything from BDArmory other than the plugin modules.

At the same time, it would be bad to replace BDArmory's ammo resource to balance it because that would become a mess.

I tried to make them as straightforward to use as possible, and all calibers are shown on the weapons names.

Don't think that this was an easy choice, btw.

To make them use the stock 20mm ammo just change ammoName to 20x102Ammo.

Edited by tetryds

Oh, yes, the tournament found on your sig. That did not cross my mind when I was typing that.

I would want your take on my suggestion of the rockets and the autocannon, that way, I'll know which one not to make.

Edity: BDA weapons seem to use a 'shortname' field in the config. That might help in uncluttering the Weapon manager when a weapon in this mod is used. Just my two cents. Wish you luck mate. :D

Edited by Forty21112

Oh, yes, the tournament found on your sig. That did not cross my mind when I was typing that.

I would want your take on my suggestion of the rockets and the autocannon, that way, I'll know which one not to make.

Edity: BDA weapons seem to use a 'shortname' field in the config. That might help in uncluttering the Weapon manager when a weapon in this mod is used. Just my two cents. Wish you luck mate. :D

The Mk 108 300 cannon is ready for the next update, and actual working rockets should be ready next week, I hope. No release date so far sadly.

Can we have a bunch of bubble turrets please? Like the one on the bottom of the supwrfortress (I think) and the open backed ones on heavy fighters like the beufighter.

As you wish, my dear friend. I hope to have a bubble turret ready for the next update, depends on how things go.

You're probably aware of this, but the bombs pancake instead of going nose first. Tested in FAR. Didn't test them in stock aero.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing we have to figure out by ourselves. I'll poke Tetryds about this, even though he's probably going to read that post anyway. To be honest that's not on top of our priority list, it depends on how easily we can stumble on the answer. At this exact moment I'm adding smoke and muzzle flash to the weapons, so there is a lot of work to do.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing we have to figure out by ourselves. I'll poke Tetryds about this, even though he's probably going to read that post anyway. To be honest that's not on top of our priority list, it depends on how easily we can stumble on the answer. At this exact moment I'm adding smoke and muzzle flash to the weapons, so there is a lot of work to do.

It's fine for now. Doesn't break bombs' aerodynamics, or anything. Was able to hit the target every time, but couldn't recreate a winged bomb design. It just flipped and blew the back of my plane.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.