Favorite items from Sci-Fi Movies!

Cobalt60

Most all of us have a favorite science fiction movie, and even more of us have a item from these films that we would like to have. Since my favorite science fiction movies (I can't pick just one!) are The Matrix and the Star Wars original Trilogy, my favorite item would be have to be one of these. I think you all know what I am going to pick.....

The Holocumminicator!

Just kidding. No, I would much rather have a lightsaber. Because, well, who would turn down a lightsaber? It's a beam of plasma that can cut through almost anything (supposedly). Seriously, science, you need to get on lightsaber making. On a side note, there is actually a website that sells custom built lightsabers in any color called UltraSabers. So that's what I'm getting myself once I amass $80 + shipping. Anyway, post your favorite Sci Fi items!

Anyway, post your favorite Sci Fi items!

Do vehicles count? If so, the Cygnus from The Black Hole(*), or the time-traveling DeLorean as we see it at the end of the first Back to the Future movie.

If not, then, um, a neuralyzer, I guess.

---

(*) The movie was kind of aimless, but that ship. Dang. Like a chandelier in space.

I would like the type 3 phaser rifle becouse tn my opinion it is one of the best infantry weapons in Sci Fi it is also beter than the light saber it is imposible to deflect due to it being a beam weapon and emmiting nadions that i think can't be deflected. Or the time ring. And if we can have a vehicle the TARDIS type 94 due to it being able to travel through space AND time it is also a warship.

Ha ! Can be a fun thread. :)

The monolith from 2001 doesn't qualify. It is still a sentient being and not a technological device to me... so let me see.

- Kiddy nostalgia points me to the Starfighter arcade game machine from The Last Starfighter (1984). (How come I don't find a video snippet for it ?)

- The musician in me would like to toy with the

from Masters of the Universe (1987).

- The experimental laser from Tron (1982).

awaiting. (and cool music by Wendy Carlos + I want to try that frisbee).

- I would gladly welcome a robot from The Black Hole (1979) at home. Old B.O.B. rather than V.I.N.CENT. (oh no ! It's

!)

- As a cosmetic device only,

of The Time Machine (1960).

- The organic tissue

from David Cronenberg's Existenz (1999). I'll also mention that cute plug in people's back. Lots of fun ahead.

- Cronenberg again, with Naked Lunch (1991) : not exactly a sci-fi movie, but the company of a Clark Nova writing machine could prove interesting.

- The

from Verhoeven's Total Recall (1990).

Kiddy nostalgia points me to the Starfighter arcade game machine from The Last Starfighter (1984). (How come I don't find a video snippet for it ?)

Good news. If you're running Windows, you can play the game on your PC. If you're crafty, you can make a cabinet for it and stuff.

http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php

Good news. If you're running Windows, you can play the game on your PC. If you're crafty, you can make a cabinet for it and stuff.

http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php

Yea, I saw that when I was looking for an excerpt of the movie. :)

Don't know if I'd dare playing it though, or just keep it in a corner of my mind, on its "(retro)future of gaming" pedestal.

Edited by Plume & Akakak

Since my favorite science fiction movies (I can't pick just one!) are The Matrix and the Star Wars original Trilogy, my favorite item would be have to be one of these. I think you all know what I am going to pick.....

The Holocumminicator!

Just kidding. No, I would much rather have a lightsaber.

You didn't tell us what item you would take from The Matrix.

That would be a flexible spoon, for me.

"Bend, spoon. Straight, spoon. Bend again. Nice. That's daddy's good little spoon."

Edited by Plume & Akakak

Why would you want a homicidal computer?

I'd like the Heart of Gold.

He's not homicidal. He was given contradicting orders. Not to mention he was afraid of being shut down. Later on, HAL gets combined with a monolith, AFAIK.

Btw, A Monolith.

Edited by Bill Phil
Misspelling resulting in censoring

In general number of features and function, I'd say the TARDIS. Anywhere in the universe to go, a gigantic amount of rooms to have stuff in... Etc. Perhaps an extra 5 time lords so the Tardis doesn't crash every time it moves. Newer models of Tardis are probably more reliable though!

if we say movies however, the Heart of gold would be pretty and handy to have, and the Delorean really has the built by a madman with spare parts sort of look to it as well, and really is great!

He's not homicidal. He was given contradicting orders.

How he became homicidal doesn't matter.

"HAL, set the thermostat to 67 degrees."

"No, HAL, set the thermostat to 65 degrees."

"I'm sorry, Smith Family. I can't do that. Setting thermostat to 5,000 degrees and locking the doors."

Me personally, I'll take a holodeck please.

How he became homicidal doesn't matter.

"HAL, set the thermostat to 67 degrees."

"No, HAL, set the thermostat to 65 degrees."

"I'm sorry, Smith Family. I can't do that. Setting thermostat to 5,000 degrees and locking the doors."

Me personally, I'll take a holodeck please.

In that case, whichever person is HAL's owner would be obeyed.

In this case he was given orders to keep the crew and ship safe, but those orders were trumped by the "sake of tge mission." He knew that the mission would be much more difficult if he was shut down, so he killed the threat that would kill him. Not to mention he was afraid of being killed. He had no concept of sleep. What would you do if you perceived a threat to your life?

Edited by Bill Phil
? Why does "shut" become sh*t?

In the movie, HAL starts to malfunction. Frank and David decide to shut it down.

In the novel, HAL simulates the malfunction. Supervisors on Earth decide to shut it down.

Seriously guys, why DeLorean? Yeah, it's a cool thing and I'd like one, but compared to the Heart of Gold it is useless.

X-Wing? With its little pew pew guns? HoG just calculates it away or, preferably, turns it into a bowl of sour gummy worms.

HoG is the most OP thing ever built in the entire Universe, since it can do anything, literally anything.

Edited by Shpaget

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.