[1.2.2] Engineer Level Fixer - Fix tires at any level you want!

civilwargeeky

Ever wanted to play around with Rovers on the Mun or Minmus, but your broken rover wheels could only be fixed by a 3 Star Engineer? Well no longer! Now you don't have to go to Duna just to change a tire!

Essentially, I made this mod because I hated that I couldn't play around on Rovers any time in the early game (I think they're fun, so I beeline to the wheels). So I went looking for a mod to fix this, and found none. So I decided to make Engineer Level Fixer!

Basically I just made a fixed wheel module that can be manipulated by me (and through a config!) and then used ModuleManager to add the module to all existing wheels.

Download (spacedock.info): http://spacedock.info/mod/205

Download (github): https://github.com/civilwargeeky/EngineerLevelFixer/releases

Github: https://github.com/civilwargeeky/EngineerLevelFixer

License: MIT

Edited by civilwargeeky
New Update

Tried to get a job lately? That's not far off!

Got laid off at the end of last quarter actually, popping applications out right now. Got some pointers on how to read the applications the other day though. Trick is to shoot high and count school as experience. (The work you did for assignments does count as work in your field.)

Got laid off at the end of last quarter actually, popping applications out right now. Got some pointers on how to read the applications the other day though. Trick is to shoot high and count school as experience. (The work you did for assignments does count as work in your field.)

I feel your pain. I've been off work since February. I'm either not qualified enough for positions I know I can do, or too qualified for jobs I KNOW I can do because potential employers will think I'll just bail at the next better offer (which I admit isn't impossible, but changing jobs is a bit of a PITA, and I lose vacation pay), but there is so far no middle ground.

Crude oil took a plunge, and my career kinda evaporated.

Great, thanks!

IMO, Squad did shot it's foot off with this skill mechanics. Why on earth is everything hardcoded? I'm seriously hoping they migrate the whole system to .cfg's eventually. And unify probes' SAS with piloting skill, while we're at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted a new update! Version 0.3.0. After a nearly-botched munar mining mission, I re-discovered that landing legs can be broken, and also that they require a level-3 engineer... So I decided to fix that as well!

Changelog and new file are in KerbalStuff/Github.

Yeah I know that it's quite possible to get your three-star Kerbals by butting them in solar orbit then bringing them back (and is in fact what I did before I made this), but I feel it's needlessly tedious and unrealistic to do for the sole purpose of getting level three Kerbals.

Yeah I know that it's quite possible to get your three-star Kerbals by butting them in solar orbit then bringing them back (and is in fact what I did before I made this), but I feel it's needlessly tedious and unrealistic to do for the sole purpose of getting level three Kerbals.

Totally agree! :)

• 5 weeks later...
awesome mod, love it. can you upgrade it to 1.0.5.?

Hey! Thanks for the reminder. It actually didn't need to be updated, but I updated the .version file, recompiled, and updated CKAN with a 0.3.1 that didn't really change anything. Cheers mate!

Hope everything is still working out there. It all works well for me :)

• 3 months later...
On 21.9.2015 at 11:19 PM, civilwargeeky said:

So I decided to make Engineer Level Fixer!

oh yea, great mod  !!  because nobody sends rookie in the outer space, which can not even cook a fried egg. - The same applies for engineers.

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2016 at 9:34 AM, Jansn67 said:

Is this mod still alive? Maybe it comes up for 1.12?

Ahh, yes this mod is indeed still alive.

My finals end on Thursday, and then this mod will be my first coding project to work on this summer. Just be patient for a little while :)

Also the wheel and gear system has changed in the new version of KSP, so it may take me a little while after that to figure out how to work with the new system.

Thanks for the interest in my mod though!

Well, I'm finally back home and got around to testing out what had changed and what I needed to do to fix the mod for new versions and.... I couldn't break wheels.

Like, I tried everything I could think of to break either wheels or landing gear, but everything I tried resulted in the wheels either exploding or deforming. I couldn't figure out *how* to get them to a "repairable" state. Like, I just landed a craft on its wheels at about 30m/s vertical, and more horizontal, and the wheels and craft were perfectly fine. Driving around at 80m/s on the Mun? No sweat. Landing legs landing at 25m/s just broke the engine they were supporting. Legs were fine...

So in that case, I'm not sure this mod is really needed anymore. If you have some other use for which it is useful, let me know and I can go about fixing it, but otherwise I'm not sure its worth my time :\

Edited by civilwargeeky

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Kaue_ said:

hey, it works in 1.2? my rover's wheels are broken

Ah! So the 1.2 has breakable wheels again?

No, I don't believe this mod will work with 1.2, as they completely overhauled wheels in 1.1, changing all the code. I will unfortunately not be able to code an update until friday at the earliest, but on Friday I will look into updating this if its needed :)

Thanks for letting me know!

2 hours ago, civilwargeeky said:

Ah! So the 1.2 has breakable wheels again?

No, I don't believe this mod will work with 1.2, as they completely overhauled wheels in 1.1, changing all the code. I will unfortunately not be able to code an update until friday at the earliest, but on Friday I will look into updating this if its needed :)

Thanks for letting me know!

oh ok, i will wait :D 

On 12/11/2016 at 4:03 PM, Kaue_ said:

oh ok, i will wait :D 

So, I was able to check into updating the mod today, and I am still unable to break wheels/landing legs. Can you show me some evidence (pictures, video, etc.) that wheels are still breaking? Like, I took some landing legs 100 m/s into the side of a mountain and they were fine. Similarly, wheels crashing 75 m/s into the Mun were the only parts of the ship still standing.

I think I will still try to update the mod to practice C#, but if there is no reason for the mod to exist in 1.2, I don't think I will try and hurry very much :P

16 hours ago, Kaue_ said:

-snip-

Haha! Those pictures are great. I can see the influence. Well, you were right! I did some more digging and wheels can indeed break. Its just the limits are insanely high :P

It took me a while to figure out how to set up the dev environment again, but once I did it was pretty simple to update the mod. Squad actually made it easier by unifying wheels and landing legs destruction.
So I have gone ahead and updated the mod for KSP 1.2.2 then. Have fun out there with your rovers!

Download from Spaceport, CKAN, or Github. All are updated.

I just downloaded the Mod, just in case, although I can see the stock settings as a way to limit access to repairs without having to mess around with loading tools and spare parts  I know there are mods which include such things, and I can imagine there being something in KIS so that there can be a toolkit and spare wheel carried on a Rover to allow a really low Engineer level to repair a wheel, an intermediate level if you run out of spare wheels, and stock level if your forgot the toolkit.

That's a bit like some of the complicated logistics Mods, keeping detailed track of resources, a bit too much to be fun for me, but I use the Snacks mod as an abstraction, keeping the problem without overloading the detail. There's already several tools in KIS/KAS and being able to detect those to enable a lower-level repair could be a useful option.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.