Need some advice: Mining, refining, and refueling.

The first step of my goal to kolonizing Minmus and creating a launching platform to explore the solar system is to get stable mining operations. I've already figured that that using ore or Karbonite it is not at all efficient to refine in orbit. So I'd have to refine on Minmus and ferry the fuel to orbit. The only thing is I'm bad at designing stuff for settlements that I can land and dock easily. Was looking for ideas to play with.

If you're open to mods, KAS is great for this. You can just park nearby, take an EVA and hook up a hose to your tanks.

Not that doing it stock is impossible, but I tend to think mining and refining systems are kinda awkward when all your inter-craft connectors are static docking hubs. Being able to hook up a hose is more realistic and much less hassle.

If you're open to mods, KAS is great for this. You can just park nearby, take an EVA and hook up a hose to your tanks.

Not that doing it stock is impossible, but I tend to think mining and refining systems are kinda awkward when all your inter-craft connectors are static docking hubs. Being able to hook up a hose is more realistic and much less hassle.

So, connector port to the mining/refining bit, then a connector port on the ferry? I can disconnect the port after they've been hooked up?

The first step of my goal to kolonizing Minmus and creating a launching platform to explore the solar system is to get stable mining operations. I've already figured that that using ore or Karbonite it is not at all efficient to refine in orbit. So I'd have to refine on Minmus and ferry the fuel to orbit. The only thing is I'm bad at designing stuff for settlements that I can land and dock easily. Was looking for ideas to play with.

Here's a picture of my Minmus mining base. I lift the fuel to an orbital station 200 km above Minmus. It uses KAS/KIS and yes, you run pipes between the various craft to link them and transfer fuel etc.

Yep, exactly. KAS has been updated since I last used it extensively - back then the whole structure became one new ship and the joints were inflexible, but I've since seen that the hose/connector joints can now be rotated and the hose can be (to a certain extent) stretched. When you want to undock, you EVA again and go disconnect the hose.

So, connector port to the mining/refining bit, then a connector port on the ferry? I can disconnect the port after they've been hooked up?

With KAS, you just put a pipe connector port on each vessel then have an EVA kerbal connect/disconnect the pipe (integral to the connector, no need to bring a pipe item). For that matter the EVA kerbal can bolt on the connectors as needed so you don't have to orient vessels any particular way. Ground pylons can be used to extend pipe as far as reasonably needed or provide a buffer if physics are being unkind to direct connections between ships. The winches also function as docking mechanisms, so you could use one of those as a flexible hose.

By far the simplest method of doing fuel transfers IMO. And frankly better looking as Rocketeer says, I much prefer a simple hose/pipe hookup.

I strongly advise against leaving ships hooked up via pipe without KJR, though. The physics loading on stock tends to rip things up if you do this, KJR's physics buffer softens it enough to be pretty safe with stable structures though. Never leave them connected via winch cable though, that ends badly no matter what.

One way of ferrying fuel from a mining/refinery outpost to a landed ship is to build a fuel tanker rover. Use the grabbing claw rather than docking ports, and transferring fuel becomes much easier. I tend to find rovers on Minmus struggle for traction due to the low gravity, and since it will be operating around a fuel refinery, it might be a good idea to use landing gear and RCS thrusters for propulsion.

The good habits on general vessel design can be a problem on making a good refuelling setup.

For a pure refuelling operation mass efficiency will hold you back, I find it more useful to think of it in terms of time efficiency. IE; how many tons of fuel can I get to an orbital refuelling station per hour of real time? For that I've found having the refuelling station itself land and have all the drills and refining rigging built in. While it's inefficient to lug around 20-30 tons of extra dry mass, if you are lifting 500 tons of fuel at a time, it's still way less real time than doing complex docking manoeuvres over and over and over. Landers and refiners and rovers and storage depots are fun if you want to role play and build neat things, but it your goal is getting fuel to ships to do interplanetary work, then I'd say giant lander station all the way. Once in position around Minmus it took about 3-4 minutes to land accurately and 2-3 minutes to hop back into a reasonable orbit.

If you are using USI Kolonization, then your life is even easier. Just build a massive fuel depot at your base, and use the logistics hub to zip fuel to orbiting ships. No need for any orbital fuel infrastructure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.