[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

Another question. Is there any equivalent to the Claim Jumper for atmospheric resource harvesting? I'm working on a set of sort of 'Real ISRU' templates and converters, and the once piece I'm missing is an inflatable factory that could be used to suck in the atmosphere. Do the PATH_INDUSTRY templates support the use of ModuleResourceHarvester directly?

9 minutes ago, westamastaflash said:

Another question. Is there any equivalent to the Claim Jumper for atmospheric resource harvesting? I'm working on a set of sort of 'Real ISRU' templates and converters, and the once piece I'm missing is an inflatable factory that could be used to suck in the atmosphere. Do the PATH_INDUSTRY templates support the use of ModuleResourceHarvester directly?

Yes. Take a look at how the Hacienda part and the Claim Jumper template are set up.

On 03/04/2017 at 1:31 PM, Jasseji said:

I didnt notice more exceptions than the usual but with all the other mods installed, it might be a deception :P

"The usual" really should be zero :P. It might be reasonable even to say "must". Any exception, anywhere, means that some intended operation failed to complete. It's possible that the operation only just barely got started before failing and thus some mod's intended feature just doesn't work. (sure, it's possible the exception is in stock, but that's pretty rare now, and usually triggered by an errant mod).

14 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

Also, if your recovery craft has a claw, you can just grab the thing and transfer the Kerbal through the claw to a seat. Seems a little silly, but it does work.

This won't work if Connected Living Spaces is installed.

Yar, that be true, but as far as stock + this mod goes, it's a way to get them out.  It's how I deal with some MKS and Pathfinder module rescues.  Got to a point that I just have a claw on my rescue craft.  You could attempt bringing a radial docking port in a crate and use KAS to attach it to the other module.  Presto, portable hole?  Haven't tried that one.

Pathfinder 1.8.0 is now available:

Buffalo MSEV
- Added new Buffalo Wings parts. See the Buffalo readme for details.

New Part
- S.A.F.E.R. : The Safe Affordable Fission Engine with Radiators generates ElectricCharge for your spacecraft needs. It is based upon the real-world SAFE - 400 reactor created by NASA.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Fixed airlock issue on the Chuckwagon.
- Part scrapping now requires a confirmation click (which can be disabled in the options screen).
- With Extraplanetary Launchpads installed, you can turn Equipment into ScrapMetal.
- When Far Future Technologies is installed, FusionPellets are made from LqdHe3 and LqdDeuterium.
- Fixed an issue where Equipment wasn't being recycled after deflating a module.
- If you have insufficient room on your vessel to store Equipment recovered during module deflation, then the remaining amount will be distributed.

I've been working hard on Buffalo Wings for the past month and a half, and while a DSEV update is up next, I've also been thinking about Project Sandcastle, Pathfinder's 3D printed permanent dwellings. The idea being that you create the buildings in the VAB/SPH and then print them on site. Ideally, you'd use Extraplanetary Launchpads, but with robots instead of crewed modules, to print your buildings. Parts of Sandcastle are already in place: you've got the ability to turn Slag into Konkrete, for instance, and with the new S.A.F.E.R. reactor, you're good to go for running the construction operation well away from Kerbol.

I've been pretty busy on other projects, but I'm getting to the point where I can finally circle back around to Sandcastle.

I sort of have a prototype for Sandcastle with my Heisenberg mod; the GondOffice has the ability to be hauled to a site on the back of a kerbal, and then its empty shell can be set up and given straight edges like an office building. Once you've assembled the empty shell, simply turn on resource distribution and fill the module with Equipment to get the desired configuration. You can also clip the GondOffice modules together to form a large structure. Yesterday, I converted the Bison hab, lab, and garden modules over to have the same LEGO-like capability, and here is the end result (the external stairway is a separate part, there are three of them running up the side):

lWbLg7E.png

I think this LEGO-like approach would work well for Sandcastle. While I originally had specific buildings in mind that would be permanent versions of the existing inflatable modules, having a modular approach would be much more versatile. Take LEGO-like parts and make it so they can be built on site using Konkrete or compacted down into a Buckboard-sized box for easy transport and assembly by a kerbal- just build the basic frame, and then add Konkrete to fully assemble them into the desired module. I could easily create hab, lab, and greenhouse cubes, corner pieces, rooftop solar panels, rooftop Extraplanetary Launchpads (like I'm doing with Heisenberg), and the like.

Apparently the idea isn't new, @Sassenach recently created Firma, which has basic building blocks for permanent dwellings:

I just found out about it this morning through @Kottabos's review. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I think it would be nice for Project Sandcastle to work with @Sassenach's mod, either bundled or downloaded separately. It looks like there are some Pathfinder configs created already.. :) All I need to do is make the 3D printer parts and find a way to let EL be run by robots. Heck, I might be persuaded to make IVAs for Firma, and you know how much I hate making IVAS...

Edited by Angel-125

19 minutes ago, Sassenach said:

I'm happy to cooperate, if there is anything you should like from me.

That would be great! :) Firma is definitely the right approach for permanent dwellings. :) I noticed in your thread that you're not too familiar with Pathfinder, so I'm happy to help set things up. What I can do to start is look at your Pathfinder configs and offer tweaks if needed- the 2.5m cubic parts looks to be about the size of the Bison modules, so I can use the Bison module configs as a basis.

One thing I want to do for Pathfinder is not only have parts that are printed on site, but also allow for a compact form that a kerbal can haul on his/her back. At that stage the assembled part is just a frame, and requires additional materials to fully outfit. For Heisenberg, the hab, lab, office, and garden parts accomplish that using a combination of animations and a plugin, but maybe I can build something that won't impact Firma. I know I can have multiple MODEL nodes in a part config, for instance, and can scale 3D meshes in code if need be. That would let me build the starter box that would be added to your part configs when Pathfinder is installed with Firma.

Edited by Angel-125

1 hour ago, Sassenach said:

Any Pathfinder config changes you feel appropriate shall be made, they're all neatly contained in a separate document for easy tracking.

Thanks. :) I'm fixing up the Pathfinder configs and should have a pull request later today. I added a science config for the lab cube, and the Pathfinder greenhouse to the aggro cube. I noticed that there's no equivalent to an industrial cube: in Pathfinder, the Hacienda inflatable module handles all the industrial components like making RocketParts and such. A double-sized cube would fit the bill nicely. :)

Aye, I'm yet to make any industrial type parts, though they're likely coming. Probably in two stages: First, a basic decal version of the current functional cubes, then greebled up larger pieces. I could plausibly make the basic parts larger, I've just been enjoying trying to keep model/texture footprint as small as possible. :P

@Angel-125 FYI: the RemoteTech patch for Pathfinder is out of date. The Gaslight has a name error (GasLight rather than GasLight2), the TERRAIN scanner has an odd config (should it even have a RT config?), an the Satellite Dish doesn't even have a config.

There's also an AntennaRange patch, which I think has been deprecated ever since 1.2 came out. (What with 1.2 having satellite comms as stock.) If the file dates in the mod are to be trusted, you have a handful of MM patches that probably need to be checked as they predate 1.2. (The RT patch for sure; AR patch can probably be removed.)

10 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

@Angel-125 FYI: the RemoteTech patch for Pathfinder is out of date. The Gaslight has a name error (GasLight rather than GasLight2), the TERRAIN scanner has an odd config (should it even have a RT config?), an the Satellite Dish doesn't even have a config.

There's also an AntennaRange patch, which I think has been deprecated ever since 1.2 came out. (What with 1.2 having satellite comms as stock.) If the file dates in the mod are to be trusted, you have a handful of MM patches that probably need to be checked as they predate 1.2. (The RT patch for sure; AR patch can probably be removed.)

Ok, please feel free to go through the patches and make a pull request. :)