[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

I have a question about the Drills. Hope I'm right here.

For example I can modify the Gold Digger Portable Mini-Drill which resource i want to harvest. For example MetalOre or Dirt, but when I use the stock Drill-O-Matic there is just a selection of a few resources and I can’t harvest for example MetalOre. There is also no button for modify drill in the GUI of this drill.

Is there any way to modify the stock drill for MetalOre harvesting? Because the output is much better with the bigger one.

3 hours ago, Gilsch said:

I have a question about the Drills. Hope I'm right here.

For example I can modify the Gold Digger Portable Mini-Drill which resource i want to harvest. For example MetalOre or Dirt, but when I use the stock Drill-O-Matic there is just a selection of a few resources and I can’t harvest for example MetalOre. There is also no button for modify drill in the GUI of this drill.

Is there any way to modify the stock drill for MetalOre harvesting? Because the output is much better with the bigger one.

Check out MM_Drills.cfg in ModuleManagerPatches. It should already have a patch for the drill switcher.

Hi! May I ask if it's possible to add the StripMiner to the Hacienda in Simplified Mode? It would be useful to have packable industrial-level extraction capability even in simplified mode. Also, may I inquire how (if any) the Resource Distribution function works (or not work?) with USI's Local Warehouse function, for when I have both Pathfinder and USI Kontainer parts across separate craft components of a base (and for refueling visiting craft as well--I've seen the Pathfinder version in action in Geschosskopf's NH Circus report)?

Thanks, and thanks as well for a fun mod! :)

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Check out MM_Drills.cfg in ModuleManagerPatches. It should already have a patch for the drill switcher.

Sorry in advance for I guess the stupid question now. But I guess the ModuleManagerPatches should add the drill switcher automatically to the stock drill or do I have to do something with it?
Or is it possible that some other mods are blocking this function?

I have installed as well the KSPI Extended mod and it adds some drills as well.

2 hours ago, Gilsch said:

Sorry in advance for I guess the stupid question now. But I guess the ModuleManagerPatches should add the drill switcher automatically to the stock drill or do I have to do something with it?
Or is it possible that some other mods are blocking this function?

I have installed as well the KSPI Extended mod and it adds some drills as well.

It is possible that another mod is blocking things, but yes, the patches should be applied automatically.

9 hours ago, B-STRK said:

Hi! May I ask if it's possible to add the StripMiner to the Hacienda in Simplified Mode? It would be useful to have packable industrial-level extraction capability even in simplified mode. Also, may I inquire how (if any) the Resource Distribution function works (or not work?) with USI's Local Warehouse function, for when I have both Pathfinder and USI Kontainer parts across separate craft components of a base (and for refueling visiting craft as well--I've seen the Pathfinder version in action in Geschosskopf's NH Circus report)?

Thanks, and thanks as well for a fun mod! :)

Definitely possible to add the strip miner, it's all just a bunch of templates. :) Pathfinder's resource distribution system is totally independent of MKS.

16 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

It is possible that another mod is blocking things, but yes, the patches should be applied automatically.

Definitely possible to add the strip miner, it's all just a bunch of templates. :) Pathfinder's resource distribution system is totally independent of MKS.

Thanks for the reply! I'd admit, though, that I could use some help in editing the configs (tried the wiki, am a little confused). I guess I should be editing SimplifiedMode to include a template node in @Part[WBI_Hacienda], referring to the Claim Jumper? (If going by what I understand from the wiki, I think I have to also include all the modules in the Claimjumper.cfg in the SimplifiedMode config file as a consequence, right?)

And re: Pathfinder and MKS distros being independent, understood. Would have been interesting to leverage some interaction, given the advantage of the sizes of the USI tanks to keep tank farm part counts low. :) (Though I haven't installed MKS, just the USI Core, so I don't even know if the Local Warehouses function even works outside of MKS, despite having the proper switches for it).

On 8/12/2017 at 9:34 AM, B-STRK said:

Thanks for the reply! I'd admit, though, that I could use some help in editing the configs (tried the wiki, am a little confused). I guess I should be editing SimplifiedMode to include a template node in @Part[WBI_Hacienda], referring to the Claim Jumper? (If going by what I understand from the wiki, I think I have to also include all the modules in the Claimjumper.cfg in the SimplifiedMode config file as a consequence, right?)

And re: Pathfinder and MKS distros being independent, understood. Would have been interesting to leverage some interaction, given the advantage of the sizes of the USI tanks to keep tank farm part counts low. :) (Though I haven't installed MKS, just the USI Core, so I don't even know if the Local Warehouses function even works outside of MKS, despite having the proper switches for it).

Next version will add the drill to the ISRU.

So, yeah, imagine this:

btLjV8g.png

as modular building blocks, but also with specialized parts like this:

lavahive_featured.jpg

and of course the Konkrete tinted to match the planet the building was built on. That's the start of Project Sandcastle. :) I have more concept work to do, but I think I've finally got the direction figured out. And yes, Sandcastle is inspired by Firma, which pioneered the building block technique (and I'm making stuff to be compatible with it).

52 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Last image for the night (yes, there will be 1/8th sphere parts)

Very cool. I'm curious what your 3D printer will look like to "form" these things. Are you thinking of using the 3D printing shop template from things like the Hacienda and placement from inventory? Or a "printer" that uses something like EPL?

5 minutes ago, Krakatoa said:

Very cool. I'm curious what your 3D printer will look like to "form" these things. Are you thinking of using the 3D printing shop template from things like the Hacienda and placement from inventory? Or a "printer" that uses something like EPL?

More of a printer that ideally uses EPL, but doesn't need kerbals and is restricted to vessels made of konkrete parts. Inspiration:

You know me, I think EXtraplanetaryLaunchpads is fabulous and hope to adapt it to support Sandcastle. If it can't be done or is too impractical, I'll have a custom printer but I don't like that route.

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

More of a printer that ideally uses EPL, but doesn't need kerbals and is restricted to vessels made of konkrete parts. Inspiration:

You know me, I think EXtraplanetaryLaunchpads is fabulous and hope to adapt it to support Sandcastle. If it can't be done or is too impractical, I'll have a custom printer but I don't like that route.

I recently started digging in to EPL in my career save, mostly to build Aurum transports to take off from the Mun or Minmus and return to Kerbin. I like it a lot. I'd say it's got a lot of potential for this purpose, even if you just lay out stakes and spawn it there.

Pathfinder 1.11 is now available:

This release replaces the drill heat mechanic with BARIS: Building A Rocket Isn't Simple. You can think of BARIS (the name is a nod to an old video game) as a highly customizable Dangit-lite. Don't want your drills or converters to break? Don't want the hassle of parts wearing out? Do you prefer not to send Equipment up to repair your parts, or to require specific skills to repair them? No problem! All that and more are options. As always, It's Your Game, Your Choice.

BARIS IS OFF BY DEFAULT! You'll have to opt-in via the Settings->Difficulty->BARIS tab.

With BARIS, your drills and base parts now have wear and tear, which is indicated by the part's Quality rating. They're unlikely to break during their normal design life, but they can start to break down after you exceed their design life. If you perform maintenance on them, you can reduce the chance that they'll break. A broken drill or base part won't function, which can be either annoying or life threatening depending upon the mods you have installed. Once you fix the part, it will continue to function, but its design life will be reduced.

Bug Fixes & Enhancements
- Fixed missing textures.
- Fixed issue with geology lab not transmitting bonus science.
- Resource distribution should run a bit more smoothly now.
- Simplified Mode's ISRU now includes a drill.
- Fixed issues with template reconfiguring when no life support mod is installed.

Edited by Angel-125

It's not the biggest problems, because the compact ISRU can make fusion pellets, so there's other ways to get 'em, but a Doc Sci in the Sunburn template still isn't showing resources except for 1 EC in either the manage operations screen or the right click menu.  Here's the output log of opening the game, going to the VAB, putting down a conestoga, attaching the Doc Sci, and trying to look at the Sunburn version.  I just found out IFS and B9 part switcher don't like each other, so I'm sure that's causing other issues, and I'm having little bugs with a couple other things, but the game works in general. Gonna post a link to the output log and list my mods just in case there's something anyone can see, but I'm not having any game breaking issues, so I'm not overly concerned.

Output Log

Mod list

Spoiler

KSP: 1.3 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.4.4
Toolbar - 1.7.14
USI Tools - 0.9.2
Community Category Kit - 2.0.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.7.1
CommunityTechTree - 3.2
ConfigurableContainers - 2.4.1
CryoEngines - 0.5.8
CryoTanks - 0.4.7
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.10
DynamicBatteryStorage - 1.1
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.8.2
Firespitter - 7.6
GroundConstruction - 1.2
HeatControl - 0.4
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.6.1
RasterPropMonitor - 0.29
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.3
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.3
Feline Utility Rover - 0.6.1
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.5
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
NearFutureConstruction - 0.8.3
NearFutureElectrical - 0.9.5
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - 1.1.1
NearFutureProps - 0.1
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.9.4
NearFutureSolar - 0.8.6
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.7.3
Final Frontier - 1.3.2.3155
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.4.5
ReentryParticleEffect - 1.2.0.1
SCANsat - 1.1.8
ShipManifest - 5.2
StationPartsExpansion - 0.5.1
Stock Visual Enhancements - 1.2.5
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.5
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.2
TweakScale - 2.3.6
USI Core - 0.4.1
USI Exploration Pack - 0.8.1
Freight Transport Tech - 0.7.1
Konstruction - 0.2.1
MKS - 0.52.1
Universal Storage - 1.3.0.1
VesselViewerContinued - 0.8.5.1
BARIS - 1.0
WildBlueTools - 1.25
Kerbal Actuators - 1.0.6
Buffalo - 2.2
Deep Space Exploration Vessels - 2.2
Airships - 2.8
Kerbal KIS Items - 2.1.2
Mark One Laboratory Extensions - 1.8
Pathfinder - 1.11
OSE Workshop - 1.2
[x] Science! - 5.10

2 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

It's not the biggest problems, because the compact ISRU can make fusion pellets, so there's other ways to get 'em, but a Doc Sci in the Sunburn template still isn't showing resources except for 1 EC in either the manage operations screen or the right click menu.  Here's the output log of opening the game, going to the VAB, putting down a conestoga, attaching the Doc Sci, and trying to look at the Sunburn version.  I just found out IFS and B9 part switcher don't like each other, so I'm sure that's causing other issues, and I'm having little bugs with a couple other things, but the game works in general. Gonna post a link to the output log and list my mods just in case there's something anyone can see, but I'm not having any game breaking issues, so I'm not overly concerned.

Output Log

Mod list

Reveal hidden contents

KSP: 1.3 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.4.4
Toolbar - 1.7.14
USI Tools - 0.9.2
Community Category Kit - 2.0.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.7.1
CommunityTechTree - 3.2
ConfigurableContainers - 2.4.1
CryoEngines - 0.5.8
CryoTanks - 0.4.7
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.10
DynamicBatteryStorage - 1.1
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.8.2
Firespitter - 7.6
GroundConstruction - 1.2
HeatControl - 0.4
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.6.1
RasterPropMonitor - 0.29
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.3
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.3
Feline Utility Rover - 0.6.1
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.5
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
NearFutureConstruction - 0.8.3
NearFutureElectrical - 0.9.5
NearFutureLaunchVehicles - 1.1.1
NearFutureProps - 0.1
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.9.4
NearFutureSolar - 0.8.6
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.7.3
Final Frontier - 1.3.2.3155
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.4.5
ReentryParticleEffect - 1.2.0.1
SCANsat - 1.1.8
ShipManifest - 5.2
StationPartsExpansion - 0.5.1
Stock Visual Enhancements - 1.2.5
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.5
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.2
TweakScale - 2.3.6
USI Core - 0.4.1
USI Exploration Pack - 0.8.1
Freight Transport Tech - 0.7.1
Konstruction - 0.2.1
MKS - 0.52.1
Universal Storage - 1.3.0.1
VesselViewerContinued - 0.8.5.1
BARIS - 1.0
WildBlueTools - 1.25
Kerbal Actuators - 1.0.6
Buffalo - 2.2
Deep Space Exploration Vessels - 2.2
Airships - 2.8
Kerbal KIS Items - 2.1.2
Mark One Laboratory Extensions - 1.8
Pathfinder - 1.11
OSE Workshop - 1.2
[x] Science! - 5.10

Pathfinder 1.11.1 should fix it.

Hiya again! Just some weird settings behavior. Upon installing the latest pathfinder (by copying the Wild Blue folder and confirming overwrite), and clicking on the Pathfinder settings in the KSC scene, I found two Simplified mode options, both of which threw up an exception and no other response when attempting to confirm them. (Should have noted the exception that popped up or saved its log, sorry). Figuring that I borked the install by overwriting Pathfinder instead of a clean wipe and install, I deleted the Pathfinder folder only and copied the latest Pathfinder to replace. Okay, everything's back to normal, activated Simplified Mode and shut down and restarted KSP. Went into the SPH to confirm a few things, and see the new ISRU. But I was getting the full Hacienda config set as though it were full-on Pathfinder (Claim Jumper, Brew Works, the works). Went back to the KSC scene and reconfirmed simplified mode, left, restarted KSP--still getting the full suite. 

The only other changes that happened with my installs are new USI Tools and Core, and I deactivated BARIS from the Difficulty Settings prior to the entire Two-Simplified-Mode-Button thing. 

Gonna try deleting everything and reinstalling (I guess I don't have to install Buffalo separately or independently anymore if I'm installing Pathfinder, right?), but thought you'd like to know. Although I'd probably also ask: is there a settings file that I could delete to "force" Pathfinder's mode to reset? Thanks!

Edited by B-STRK
"separately or independently" added, to clarify any potential confusion that may be just in my head.

5 minutes ago, B-STRK said:

Hiya again! Just some weird settings behavior. Upon installing the latest pathfinder (by copying the Wild Blue folder and confirming overwrite), and clicking on the Pathfinder settings in the KSC scene, I found two Simplified mode options, both of which threw up an exception and no other response when attempting to confirm them. (Should have noted the exception that popped up or saved its log, sorry). Figuring that I borked the install by overwriting Pathfinder instead of a clean wipe and install, I deleted the Pathfinder folder only and copied the latest Pathfinder to replace. Okay, everything's back to normal, activated Simplified Mode and shut down and restarted KSP. Went into the SPH to confirm a few things, and see the new ISRU. But I was getting the full Hacienda config set as though it were full-on Pathfinder (Claim Jumper, Brew Works, the works). Went back to the KSC scene and reconfirmed simplified mode, left, restarted KSP--still getting the full suite. 

The only other changes that happened with my installs are new USI Tools and Core, and I deactivated BARIS from the Difficulty Settings prior to the entire Two-Simplified-Mode-Button thing. 

Gonna try deleting everything and reinstalling (I guess I don't have to install Buffalo anymore if I'm installing Pathfinder, right?), but thought you'd like to know. Although I'd probably also ask: is there a settings file that I could delete to "force" Pathfinder's mode to reset? Thanks!

-derp- reading comprehension fail

Edited by Krakatoa

Just now, Krakatoa said:

Overwriting isn't the preferred way of updating most mods.  You're too likely to leave behind things that aren't supposed to be there. Just delete the old Pathfinder folder and drag/drop the new one and it'll probably work properly.

Actually did exactly that after the Two-Simplified-Button thing, which resolved the two button thing. Just that even the setting wasn't actually sticking even if the Pathfinder Settings clearly was showing Simplified Mode as active. (And I normally actually do delete and replace rather than overwrite, I was wondering why I let it slip this one time... I blame bar exam reviews...). Still thanks for the comment to remind me. :) (To be sure, reinstalling all of Wild Blue.)

10 minutes ago, B-STRK said:

Actually did exactly that after the Two-Simplified-Button thing, which resolved the two button thing. Just that even the setting wasn't actually sticking even if the Pathfinder Settings clearly was showing Simplified Mode as active. (And I normally actually do delete and replace rather than overwrite, I was wondering why I let it slip this one time... I blame bar exam reviews...). Still thanks for the comment to remind me. :) (To be sure, reinstalling all of Wild Blue.)

There seems to be some lingering troubles with setting a Pathfinder mode and the options screens. I'm not sure if it's on my end or Squad's end, but I'll keep investigating. Meanwhile, when changing a Pathfinder mode, it's best to double-check your options afterwards.

15 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

There seems to be some lingering troubles with setting a Pathfinder mode and the options screens. I'm not sure if it's on my end or Squad's end, but I'll keep investigating. Meanwhile, when changing a Pathfinder mode, it's best to double-check your options afterwards.

Thanks for the help, Angel-125! Just to keep you posted, even a clean wipe of Wild Blue and reinstalling Pathfinder (and then Snacks afterwards) still gives me the behavior. If it's of any note for investigating the issue, I was able to get Simplified Mode as advertised with Pathfinder 1.10 (though my Doc had all three templates available?), but I also recall playing around with Pathfinder during KSP 1.1.3 and I also had the same Simplified Mode problem then as now (Pathfinder 0.9.39, looking at my 1.1-era downloads). Hope it helps! :)

2 hours ago, B-STRK said:

Thanks for the help, Angel-125! Just to keep you posted, even a clean wipe of Wild Blue and reinstalling Pathfinder (and then Snacks afterwards) still gives me the behavior. If it's of any note for investigating the issue, I was able to get Simplified Mode as advertised with Pathfinder 1.10 (though my Doc had all three templates available?), but I also recall playing around with Pathfinder during KSP 1.1.3 and I also had the same Simplified Mode problem then as now (Pathfinder 0.9.39, looking at my 1.1-era downloads). Hope it helps! :)

Did you try with a new save?  Could be that even though you wiped the directoyies, there could still be stuff in the save file

@Angel-125 I've gone through most of the pages of the mod and looked at the changelog and couldn't find if you had revisited the ratios of products for EL integration. There was a conversation back on page 13 about how EL parts tend to use ExConverter, where stock and your parts use ModuleResourceConverter. You mentioned you needed to check on the numbers because there was a cycle that could give infinite metal because of either not enough scrap used to remake metal or too much from making rocket parts, but I couldn't find whether it had been tweaked. You mentioned ExConverter doesn't work well for you/your mod, so should it be avoided when designing a template? If the numbers for the Ironworks in the EL patch are correct, then I think I've completed it using ModuleResourceConverter. Thanks!