[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

On 7.3.2018 at 5:43 PM, Angel-125 said:

I'd need logs to know what's going on. Are you using auto-strut? What version of KSP are you using? None of my mods support KSP 1.4

I´m using 1.3.1 and auto-strut. I tried to disable auto strut ( disabled / enabled auto strut in severeal parts / combinations ), but it is always the same. At the moment i click on the other cargo type, the game stucks for 1 second and then the cargo container explodes. 

My Station actually has 4 main parts that have to be delivered seperately. One of them is the "cargo part (several parts pre assembled to provide a good setup for the orbital station)". Switching the cargo setup in flight of the "cargo part"  ---> no explosion . Switching the cargo setup after  assembling the station ---> explosion.

I´m not sure, but I think it could have something to do with auto-strut....  Are the mods fully compatible with rover dudes mods? I use the weldable ports from the usi catalogue. 

Hey, my career save has been broken since 1.4 because ur mods throw a temper tantrum with the new version, I lost all of my major manned flights, including a 20 man, 600 ton mission at Dres because I was testing a mini ISRU on a drone miner only to find that it required a technician to operate, but since the vessel was still carrying it, the entire ship goes poof... (mission elapsed time ~21 years...) So yeah, at least publish a workaround so that the save can be loaded and the kerbs recovered from affected vessels and the offending parts can be jettisoned. I've not lost a single kerb this save, and I would really like to maintain that. 

13 minutes ago, AlonzoTG said:

Hey, my career save has been broken since 1.4 because ur mods throw a temper tantrum with the new version, I lost all of my major manned flights, including a 20 man, 600 ton mission at Dres because I was testing a mini ISRU on a drone miner only to find that it required a technician to operate, but since the vessel was still carrying it, the entire ship goes poof... (mission elapsed time ~21 years...) So yeah, at least publish a workaround so that the save can be loaded and the kerbs recovered from affected vessels and the offending parts can be jettisoned. I've not lost a single kerb this save, and I would really like to maintain that. 

Given this mod has not been updated to 1.4, it is not unexpected that it does not work. Your options at this stage:

- wait PATIENTLY that Angel-125 does the necessary work to update his mods to 1.4 (most likely 1.4.1)

- wait VERY PATIENTLY that Angel-125 does the necessary work to update his mods to 1.4 (most likely 1.4.1)

- pay him a hefty sum of money so he decides to drop all the rest of his daily work and other engagements to fulfil YOUR lack of patience

- stay PATIENTLY on 1.3.1 until the mod is updated and enjoy the game in 1.3.1 like the most of us do while we patiently wait for the mods we love to be updated

- and IN ANY CASE, not make demands to the modder to do any update, as is the rule on this forum, especially in such a rude way.

3 minutes ago, AlonzoTG said:

=\    I'm not asking for a full update, I appreciate that takes time and effort, just a poor man's workaround to load the save even though the affected parts will be nonfunctional. 

From the mod author's point of view, that's probably *more* work than just doing a normal update.

Wait.  Stay in 1.3.1 for a bit if it bugs you.  (Heck, I can't even download 1.4 yet, as it hasn't made it to GOG.)

On 3/12/2018 at 5:54 PM, DStaal said:

From the mod author's point of view, that's probably *more* work than just doing a normal update.

Wait.  Stay in 1.3.1 for a bit if it bugs you.  (Heck, I can't even download 1.4 yet, as it hasn't made it to GOG.)

I am also not in any rush to update. Especially not with T2's EULA. I'd leave a snotty review on Steam (like all them other guys on 7 March), but I too did not get it from Steam and a review on GOG probably won't speak to T2 as GOG is not the main selling service for KSP, and I am NOT giving T2 an extra 30 bob just so I can post said snotty review.

If I give them MORE money, they won't get it - we all hate their new EULA and they need to understand that if the KSP fanbase is upset, then there'll be less mods (makes game less attractive), less videos (you REALLY need that extra publicity, T2) and therefore less sales (and less $$$ for T2)

On 3/12/2018 at 4:38 PM, Joal ban Kluane said:

Given this mod has not been updated to 1.4, it is not unexpected that it does not work. Your options at this stage:

-snip-

A like alone does not say how well said this was.

Edited by TDplay
added what these corporate people need to know

4 hours ago, Joal ban Kluane said:

- wait PATIENTLY that Angel-125 does the necessary work to update his mods to 1.4 (most likely 1.4.1)

- wait VERY PATIENTLY that Angel-125 does the necessary work to update his mods to 1.4 (most likely 1.4.1)

- pay him a hefty sum of money so he decides to drop all the rest of his daily work and other engagements to fulfil YOUR lack of patience

- stay PATIENTLY on 1.3.1 until the mod is updated and enjoy the game in 1.3.1 like the most of us do while we patiently wait for the mods we love to be updated

- and IN ANY CASE, not make demands to the modder to do any update, as is the rule on this forum, especially in such a rude way.

Kinda busy with personal stuff at the moment but this says it all. Well put, @Joal ban Kluane! :)

Modders are NOT at the beck and call of forum users. We don't jump just because you say so. When it comes to my mods, they're currently on 1.3.1.

1.4.1 rolls out tomorrow, and to expect instant updates is to invite disaster- just because a plugin compiles doesn't mean that everything is perfect. I'd also point out that it's unclear how @SQUAD treats mods with the new EULA. Yes, I'm aware of the big discussion going on and the differing opinions- this thread is not the place to discuss them. Suffice to say that I know modding is very important to the company and that they need to protect their investment in the latest update. But I and a lot of others would appreciate clarification of the User Generated Content clause and how it pertains to mods, and I've already expressed that concern.

Patience is a virtue here, but if you want to financially make it worth my while to not worry about what the changes to the EULA mean and to get started right away on 1.4.1 compatibility, great! We can talk offline. In the meantime, Pathfinder in 1.3.1 is pretty stable, though you may want to download the Wild Blue Tools pre-release to fix a couple of WBT-related bugs.

Edited by Angel-125

9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Kinda busy with personal stuff at the moment but this says it all. Well put, @Joal ban Kluane! :)

Modders are NOT at the beck and call of forum users. We don't jump just because you say so. When it comes to my mods, they're currently on 1.3.1.

1.4.1 rolls out tomorrow, and to expect instant updates is to invite disaster- just because a plugin compiles doesn't mean that everything is perfec. I'd also point out that it's unclear how @SQUAD treats mods with the new EULA. Yes, I'm aware of the big discussion going on and the differing opinions- this thread is not the place to discuss it. Suffice to say that I know modding is very important to the company and that they need to protect their investment in the latest update. But I and a lot of others would appreciate clarification of the User Generated Content clause and how it pertains to mods, and I've already expressed that concern.

Patience is a virtue here, but if you do want to financially make it worth my while to not worry about what the changes to the EULA mean and to get started right away on 1.4.1 compatibility, great! We can talk offline. In the meantime, Pathfinder in 1.3.1 is pretty stable, though you may want to download the Wild Blue Tools pre-release to fix a couple of WBT-related bugs.

Yeah, while 1.4.1 may be on the edge of release, I'm not updating until your fantastic (and necessary for my KSP play style, keep up the fantastic work and make sure you enjoy making your mods as much as I do playing them :wink:) mods update too. I do hope the EULA complications get sorted soon, and if the EULA means no 1.4 mods, so be it - I'll stay right here on 1.3.1 with my favourite mods forever.

Edited by TDplay
underlined "so be it" for effect

On 3/11/2018 at 12:57 PM, Phil Kerman said:

I´m using 1.3.1 and auto-strut. I tried to disable auto strut ( disabled / enabled auto strut in severeal parts / combinations ), but it is always the same. At the moment i click on the other cargo type, the game stucks for 1 second and then the cargo container explodes. 

My Station actually has 4 main parts that have to be delivered seperately. One of them is the "cargo part (several parts pre assembled to provide a good setup for the orbital station)". Switching the cargo setup in flight of the "cargo part"  ---> no explosion . Switching the cargo setup after  assembling the station ---> explosion.

I´m not sure, but I think it could have something to do with auto-strut....  Are the mods fully compatible with rover dudes mods? I use the weldable ports from the usi catalogue. 

Try not using KSP's AutoStrut and use KAS struts instead, that way you can know what's bolted to what. In the meantime, I'll go look at Konstruction's compat notes. Doesn't look like there are any

Edited by TDplay

On 3/12/2018 at 5:49 PM, AlonzoTG said:

=\    I'm not asking for a full update, I appreciate that takes time and effort, just a poor man's workaround to load the save even though the affected parts will be nonfunctional. 

Did you quicksave (F5) any time before updating? If so, quickload (F9) after going on the save IN 1.3.1!!11one11!! Did I put enough emphasis on that you need to be in 1.3.1? No? Ok, IN 1.3.1!! DON'T COMPLAIN THAT IT DOESN'T WORK IN 1.4(.1)

A quickload will revert all to the quicksave.

If not, well... First, you'll have to edit persistent.sfs and change every "Missing" or "Dead" under Roster to "Available". Then... Have fun building and launching ALL your ships again...

And next time, think twice about loading your career on a version that your mods don't support.

Edited by TDplay
IN 1.3.1!!11one11!!

I accidentally loaded this mod without KIS/KAS :confused:. The mod works, but if you want to play without them then good luck getting the modules onto your base, good luck moving Buckboards, good luck bolting the place down to not tempt the Kraken, and good luck taking advantage of the JetWing and ESP.

It'd be an interesting challenge to play this without KAS.

Anyway, I'm interested in how the name "Pathfinder" came to be. Does it stem from how you find your way across the planet to find a nice place to settle, or something else entirely?

On 3/17/2018 at 2:06 AM, TDplay said:

I accidentally loaded this mod without KIS/KAS :confused:. The mod works, but if you want to play without them then good luck getting the modules onto your base, good luck moving Buckboards, good luck bolting the place down to not tempt the Kraken, and good luck taking advantage of the JetWing and ESP.

It'd be an interesting challenge to play this without KAS.

Anyway, I'm interested in how the name "Pathfinder" came to be. Does it stem from how you find your way across the planet to find a nice place to settle, or something else entirely?

The Conestoga part was built without the need for KAS in mind. Just attach the flat-packed modules to its sides, add some Mountain Goat wheels to the lower attachment points, and atttach some Spark engines for landing. Then just drive to the desired spot, detonate the wheels, and settle the base down.

The name Pathfinder was indeed chosen to evoke the image of wandering the planet to find a nice place to settle. Names in the mods come from the old west to help reinforce that notion. I choose modules that you assemble in the field, and that can be broken down again, to give that feeling of "space camping" where you go prospecting for resources and pull up the tent stakes when things run dry. Same goes for the GoldStrike mini-game. Once you finally do find a really good spot, then you start pouring the konkrete to make the bigger stuff, like the Pipeline mass driver, Hogan, and other permanent base buildings that I hope to get to later this year. There's still a lot on my plate- I'm trying to reach feature complete on several mods and am working on a top secret mod as well- so it'll be awhile before the rest of the end-game permanent base parts arrive.

On 3/18/2018 at 4:25 PM, Angel-125 said:

The Conestoga part was built without the need for KAS in mind. Just attach the flat-packed modules to its sides, add some Mountain Goat wheels to the lower attachment points, and atttach some Spark engines for landing. Then just drive to the desired spot, detonate the wheels, and settle the base down.

The name Pathfinder was indeed chosen to evoke the image of wandering the planet to find a nice place to settle. Names in the mods come from the old west to help reinforce that notion. I choose modules that you assemble in the field, and that can be broken down again, to give that feeling of "space camping" where you go prospecting for resources and pull up the tent stakes when things run dry. Same goes for the GoldStrike mini-game. Once you finally do find a really good spot, then you start pouring the konkrete to make the bigger stuff, like the Pipeline mass driver, Hogan, and other permanent base buildings that I hope to get to later this year. There's still a lot on my plate- I'm trying to reach feature complete on several mods and am working on a top secret mod as well- so it'll be awhile before the rest of the end-game permanent base parts arrive.

Think I might try the Conestoga next colony. Cool that you thought of a way to get started without the need for Kerbals and/or KAS.

As for the other base dwellings - like the "Sandcastle", what will they be? Like bigger, more powerful versions of the inflatables, or something entirely different? Will I be able to scap my permanent dwellings with my engineer, if I'm willing to print another and then re-inflate it?

Top secret mod, hm? Well, we've had bases, medium parts, XL parts, rovers, airships, komets, part failures... Is it, by any chance, probe or spaceplane parts :/?

Edited by TDplay

On 3/19/2018 at 10:12 AM, TDplay said:

Think I might try the Conestoga next colony. Cool that you thought of a way to get started without the need for Kerbals and/or KAS.

As for the other base dwellings - like the "Sandcastle", what will they be? Like bigger, more powerful versions of the inflatables, or something entirely different? Will I be able to scap my permanent dwellings with my engineer, if I'm willing to print another and then re-inflate it?

Top secret mod, hm? Well, we've had bases, medium parts, XL parts, rovers, airships, komets, part failures... Is it, by any chance, probe or spaceplane parts :/?

Sandcastle is intended to add more Hogan-like buildings. I have a science observatory planned as well as an industrial building and an oil derrick-like mega drill. These parts are built on site and printed with a 3D printer, but they can also start as a packing crate to allow initial placement by a kerbal. I'm hoping to get to Sandcastle by summer (modding takes a long time and I have other projects to work on). As for the top secret project, I can't talk about it right now, but it's my next mod for KSP.

Meanwhile Pathfinder 1.25 is now available:

- Recompiled for KSP 1.4.1

Hi, I have what might sound like an odd question. Does the Pipeline Mass Driver [the planet one] need to be on the ground to work?

Reason, I thought it would be fun to build a mobile launcher. Yet despite doing an eva to connect the cc-r2 connector port to the port on the driver I still get a message about no pipelines [in range or available sorry I forgot the exact wording].

It is not a big deal, I did it for fun, but I would like to know if it is possible to do what I am trying. Maybe I missed a step or something? I can post the craft if needs be.

BTW THANK YOU. For your work and for the recent update. I am still in 1.3.1 because I love mods and some will take a while to get updated, not a big deal since there is soooo much to do still in 1.3.1.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:51 PM, Apaseall said:

Hi, I have what might sound like an odd question. Does the Pipeline Mass Driver [the planet one] need to be on the ground to work?

Reason, I thought it would be fun to build a mobile launcher. Yet despite doing an eva to connect the cc-r2 connector port to the port on the driver I still get a message about no pipelines [in range or available sorry I forgot the exact wording].

It is not a big deal, I did it for fun, but I would like to know if it is possible to do what I am trying. Maybe I missed a step or something? I can post the craft if needs be.

BTW THANK YOU. For your work and for the recent update. I am still in 1.3.1 because I love mods and some will take a while to get updated, not a big deal since there is soooo much to do still in 1.3.1.

Technically no, but there is an orbital pipeline too. :)

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Technically no, but there is an orbital pipeline too. :)

If I strap an orbital pipeline to the back of a truck, would that allow me to throw rocs to another orbital pipeline that is in orbit. Yes a really big truck :)

9 hours ago, Apaseall said:

If I strap an orbital pipeline to the back of a truck, would that allow me to throw rocs to another orbital pipeline that is in orbit. Yes a really big truck :)

The orbital pipeline isn’t as powerful as the ground based version. You would have to be on a very low g world. That said you can always edit the config file and increase the amount of kinetic energy that the Pipeline can produce.

I am having issues with the Study Hall. I have minimus colony, with an assembled hogan configured as a study hall. I go to the retrain menu and select one of the tourists I have in that module. I click on one of the traits, press set, and a little message that says the changes will take effect when I press ok. So I press ok, and nothing happens. No traits have changed, no messages appeared, nothing. AM I doing something wrong, or is it just bugged? I am using mods other than kis and pathfinder. The main ones are kas, kis, pathfinder, Planetary base systems, tac LS, TCA, and extra-planetary launchpads.

1 hour ago, Rockets4life said:

I am having issues with the Study Hall. I have minimus colony, with an assembled hogan configured as a study hall. I go to the retrain menu and select one of the tourists I have in that module. I click on one of the traits, press set, and a little message that says the changes will take effect when I press ok. So I press ok, and nothing happens. No traits have changed, no messages appeared, nothing. AM I doing something wrong, or is it just bugged? I am using mods other than kis and pathfinder. The main ones are kas, kis, pathfinder, Planetary base systems, tac LS, TCA, and extra-planetary launchpads.

I'm guessing something changed in 1.4.1. Have you tried converting a tourist, doing a quicksave, then quick reload?

30 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I'm guessing something changed in 1.4.1. Have you tried converting a tourist, doing a quicksave, then quick reload?

I am running 1.3.1. I couldn't quicksave or load while in the Retraining menu, and quick saving/loading after clicking ok didn't fix the issue. Thank you for the quick response though

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, finally looking into the whole mass driver deal... And I'm completely confused. Point to point on the surface seems fairly straight forwards, if somewhat unneeded for what I have in mind, but it's the surface to space one I'm really interested in (and possibly the reverse, as well).

So, my plan is as follows:

-Build orbital fuelling depot around Minmus at stationary orbit altitude and inclination.

-Build ISRU base(s) on surface.

-Add mass drivers to all involved facilities.

-?

-PROFIT!

Is that how this works? And would I be better off with the MSO station, or should I switch to LMO for that outpost? Can I use the mass drivers to deliver supplies to the surface, so I no longer have to run resupply missions for anything but crew? And how big of a case of kraken-bait is the surface mass driver?

6 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Okay, finally looking into the whole mass driver deal... And I'm completely confused. Point to point on the surface seems fairly straight forwards, if somewhat unneeded for what I have in mind, but it's the surface to space one I'm really interested in (and possibly the reverse, as well).

So, my plan is as follows:

-Build orbital fuelling depot around Minmus at stationary orbit altitude and inclination.

-Build ISRU base(s) on surface.

-Add mass drivers to all involved facilities.

-?

-PROFIT!

Is that how this works? And would I be better off with the MSO station, or should I switch to LMO for that outpost? Can I use the mass drivers to deliver supplies to the surface, so I no longer have to run resupply missions for anything but crew? And how big of a case of kraken-bait is the surface mass driver?

You don’t need to be in synchronous orbit to use the mass driver. For that matter, you don’t need them pointed at each other. You can deliver supplies to the surface, point to point on the surface, surface to orbit, and orbit to orbit. As for Kraken bait, your mileage may vary.