[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I won’t be offended if you just want to uninstall and move on.

Heck no, i'm too invested to just uninstall it even i'f i'm starting to consider banging my head on my desk hard enough to knock me unconcious rn :mad:

i can't just delete your mods either, almost every craft in my career uses parts from them, and i have nothing else to fill up the 1.875m size, especially not as intresting as yours

No worries. I did have to fix things in the play mode switcher and that does require switching play mode away from CRP and back. The problem is that patches from Pristine mode are colliding with other modes. Worse case is manually renaming files, which is what the switcher does for you 

9 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

No worries. I did have to fix things in the play mode switcher and that does require switching play mode away from CRP and back. The problem is that patches from Pristine mode are colliding with other modes. Worse case is manually renaming files, which is what the switcher does for you 

aaaaaand that didn't work

i seriously don't get it, it was working perfectly BEFORE i updated to the latest version!

i'm gonna go to a backup where it still worked, i just can't figure out why it's broken and why it still isn't fixed after re-installing bird in every possible way i can imagine

Edited by BRAAAP_STUTUTU

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

I won’t be offended if you just want to uninstall and move on.

52 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Heck no, i'm too invested to just uninstall it even i'f i'm starting to consider banging my head on my desk hard enough to knock me unconcious rn :mad:

i can't just delete your mods either, almost every craft in my career uses parts from them, and i have nothing else to fill up the 1.875m size, especially not as intresting as yours

Since you may have missed it a few pages back, I'll leave the post here.  I believe the goal is to  avoid a repeat.

OH BLESS THE KRAKEN!

reverting to my "backup"' which had the previous versions of pathfinder and MOLE got me the configurable storage functionallity back :D

i'll never know what caused it to break in the first place, nor why re-installing the older version didn't work either :huh:

i'll just blame it on typical electronics shenanigans then... :confused:

on another note, why are there two hogan's? one is 6.5 tonnes with a TON of snacks while the other is 0.1t but has a port on it

i guess i'll have to live with a broken buckboard, but meh, there's other options for resource storage regardless

oh and ehh, how does the old faithfull work? does it require water to run and if so, what happens to said water?

...i need to stop asking so many questions in one post but still, what does the buffalo bulldozer do and how does it work?

Edited by BRAAAP_STUTUTU

43 minutes ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

OH BLESS THE KRAKEN!

reverting to my "backup"' which had the previous versions of pathfinder and MOLE got me the configurable storage functionallity back :D

i'll never know what caused it to break in the first place, nor why re-installing the older version didn't work either :huh:

i'll just blame it on typical electronics shenanigans then... :confused:

on another note, why are there two hogan's? one is 6.5 tonnes with a TON of snacks while the other is 0.1t but has a port on it

i guess i'll have to live with a broken buckboard, but meh, there's other options for resource storage regardless

oh and ehh, how does the old faithfull work? does it require water to run and if so, what happens to said water?

...i need to stop asking so many questions in one post but still, what does the buffalo bulldozer do and how does it work?

Two Hogan parts should not be there. The one with the port should be deprecated. The Buckboards were verified working as well with the new version. It sounds like some install issues of some sort. The hogan with 6.5 tons of snacks... is that in the editor?

The Old Faithful is a heat radiator. Water isn’t strictly required but it will cool your parts faster. You can select open cycle cooling for even faster cooling, much like sweating does. But open cycle consumes Water in the process.

Edited by Angel-125

23 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Buckboards working again with CRP:

788TA1v.png

Once I do some more testing, I'll kick out the next release. It will be the last release for KSP 1.4.5 before I try to sort through KSP 1.5.

NOTE: Omni Storage is not available for CRP.

Yay!!! At least I have other options if I need to use Omni Storage. Thanks @Angel-125. :) 

6 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Two Hogan parts should not be there. The one with the port should be deprecated. The Buckboards were verified working as well with the new version. It sounds like some install issues of some sort. The hogan with 6.5 tons of snacks... is that in the editor?

The Old Faithful is a heat radiator. Water isn’t strictly required but it will cool your parts faster. You can select open cycle cooling for even faster cooling, much like sweating does. But open cycle consumes Water in the process.

i don't think the one with the port was visible in the tech tree but it was visible and usable in the pathfinder parts tab in the VAB :/

7 hours ago, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

i don't think the one with the port was visible in the tech tree but it was visible and usable in the pathfinder parts tab in the VAB :/

There should be a deprecated folder where the older Hogan goes. I specifically remember moving the older version there to avoid the Pathfinder tab.

5 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

There should be a deprecated folder where the older Hogan goes. I specifically remember moving the older version there to avoid the Pathfinder tab.

welp, i guess my install must be haunted, it is spooktober after all :D

Edited by BRAAAP_STUTUTU

Thank you for your 1.30.1 update. I look forward to using it.

Spoiler

Re the Play Mode switching, one method might be for someone to write a patch that uses ModuleManager to check to see if any part that stores Resources has Modules to be able to take part in Resource Distribution.
Personally I feel that would be an inelegant solution as it is a blanket one that applies to all Play Modes.
Unless something clever was done like picking up the Play Mode and doing some form of IF ... THEN ... ELSE with it.

So, @Angel-125 I could really some help with something concerning running Pathfinder in 1.4.5.

I'm using Pathfinder version 1.30.0.0 for KSP 1.4.5, with MOLE v1.16.1.0 installed as well (so, in the WildBlueIndustries folder I have Pathfinder, MOLE, and Buffalo). For some reason, none of the pathfinder or buffalo parts are able to be reconfigured. All of the buckboards and Tundra units are stuck as being KIS units, and the pathfinder habitat modules don't show the logo of what they're for on top nor can they be reconfigured nor can they even work (I have the latest OSE workshop installed, but the Hacienda doesn't show the GUI or even hold any of the resources). The "Reconfigure Storage/Operations" button doesn't even show up. I've tried running it on Lite Blue, Pristine, CRP and Classic Stock Resource modes, trying to follow your "switch the play mode and then switch it back" advice you had in the spacedock changelog.

These are all of the latest versions - OSE workshop, Pathfinder + Buffalo, MOLE, module manager, etc. I tried even doing a clean install - completely uninstalling all WBI files and reinstalling again, yet it still doesn't work.

The way how you can re-configure containers on the fly has allowed me to do so many more things in the game. When one of my starships crashed and I lost the reactor, I turned a buckboard filled with material kits into an ad-hock ore-powered generator to keep life support online. That stuff's genius, and it's one of the reasons why I loved using this mod in 1.3.1. It made base building dynamic, and made you actually feel accomplished that you managed to haul around and attach all of that stuff with KAS and actually build it piece by piece. The fact that not only the buckboard system but practically all of Pathfinder does not work has me rather bummed out.
What is odd, though, is that the containers with MOLE still work and are able to be re-configured, yet MOLE itself still has quite a few problems (I'll post it on the dedicated thread later, but in short there's quite a few issues with the engines producing effects when not actually firing, even with the latest smokescreen version, as well as some other things). It really strikes me as odd how MOLE's containers still work but Pathfinder and Buffalo's do not.

I cannot recall clearly whether or not Pathfinder was working before I installed MOLE, but I do not believe it was. I'll try it one more time just running the latest 1.3.1.1 pathfinder patch without MOLE installed. 

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to fix this. my current game revolves around the WBI mods, so if I can't get this to work then my whole career save will have been pretty much pointless. If you need logs I can send you the ksp.log file and whatever other files you need.

My test of update 1.30.1 did not go so well. I had a part that is now not present.
This is not terrible for me as I had to rebuild my base and had only included that part as a test.

@Angel-125 I am looking into ways to help with Play Mode switching. I will post once I have something that works. Unfortunately I was short on time today.

Alright, an update.

I uninstalled MOLE and the buckboards and pathfinder now appear to work. 

This seems really odd that MOLE and Pathfinder would have problems working together. It doesn't make much sense that two mods made by the same guy would be incompatible, but that seems to be the case. I was using MOLE solely for its long-duration exposure experiment modules and labs, which were needed for a series of contracts I had accepted. I saw that I could use the pathfinder Doc science lab, but an inflatable surface module just doesn't look all that good on a space station.

This may be something for you to look in to, @Angel-125. Great work, otherwise.

Hi

Here is a detailed suggestion for how you might be able to support Play Modes with ease.
As a rather large fan of your work I wish to provide you with as much aid as I can. Previously I did this by merely bringing certain issues to your attention.
This is my attempt in providing you with aid in the form of suggestions that have been clearly thought out.

Spoiler

Currently we know once KSP has been run for the first time a file called WBIPlayMode.cfg is created. Inside is the mode that the player will be playing in, in terms of when KSP is next run.

We can pick up which mode we are in via modulemanager code like:

Spoiler

@Part[a part or list of parts we want to add this to]
{
%WBICurrentPlayMode = #$@WBIPLAYMODESETTING[name]/a$
}

Thus once added to each part we can do clever things like:

@PART[a part or parts that we want to do something with]:HAS[#WBICurrentPlayMode[Classic Stock]]
{
    MODULE
    {
        // ...
    }
}

In this manner we can control which modules for that part are amended, or even removed.

A part would be created by it own part definition file.
Then the above would be run from a separate single .cfg file, thus adding the mode to the parts in the list.
As your mods are very intricate and the changes quite complex depending on mode, you may wish to split this file into multiple files.
Each would deal with one Play Mode, thus :HAS[#WBICurrentPlayMode[Classic Stock]] would be one mode in its own file and :HAS[#WBICurrentPlayMode[CRP]] would be another mode in its own file.
Further splitting may be helpful, similar to the current file tree, i.e. one file dealing with OmiStorage, inside which numerous :HAS statements would appear, each one giving precise control over what changes take place dependent on mode.

Finally we would have to run another single .cfg file which had the code like the following if we wanted to clear the variable (always a polite thing to do):

@PART[any part we added this variable to]:HAS[#WBICurrentPlayMode[*]]
{
    !WBICurrentPlayMode = del // del part can be anything, just needs to be an equal sign here
}

An additional thing I would suggest you implement is a change to the C# code that deals with Play Mode changes.
I would suggest that we change the OK button to read as a Shutdown button and have it initially greyed out, not clickable.
Use a boolean to see if the user changes the mode.
If they do change mode then allow the Shutdown button to be clicked.
Present a large on screen message stating that KSP is now shutting down and terminate gracefully the current KSP game.
A very similar fast shutdown of KSP is to be found in a mod called QuickExit, although that does have a count down timer in which you can abort the shutdown, in which case that would be equivalent to the user clicking Cancel.

Additionally a WBIPlayMode.cfg would have to be present in any download, probably set to Classic Mode by default.

Thus, when KSP is run, parts are defined via their definition files.
Then the current PlayMode is added to those parts.
Dependent on the mode various wonderful things happen via other .cfg files.
Then we clean up after ourselves.
If we click on the squad toolbar button that allows us to see and change mode, we can see the mode, cancel back to game or commit to a new mode, where upon KSP closes.

This would completely obviate the need for C# code to change filenames.
So no more having .cfg files which become .txt files.
During startup all parts and modules would be set to the current Play Mode.
I places emphasis on C# code to handle change of Play Mode.
It moves from C# to ModuleManager the consequence of being in a particular mode.

I realize that this involves:
Changes to C#, but those changes will be A. removal of filename extension changing, B. enforcement of mode changes via Shutdown, which I hope you will see as good things.
No changes to part definition files.
Changes to .cfg files that are supposed to be applied on a Play Mode basis, in order to make then do stuff depending on what the current mode is via :HAS statements.
(No need to work which folder something should be in.)
Additional single .cfg to clean up the variable used.
Additional WBIPlayMode.cfg files present in downloads.
Some thought as to a file/folder structure that might be simpler than the current one.

Overall I bring this suggestion to you as I believe it will be:
An easy to maintain solution,
Able to provide provision for unlimited PlayMode types,
Able to continue support for modes beyond Classic Stock only,
A simple manner to enforce parts and modules conform to PlayMode selected.

I think that you understand by now that any change to formalize a working system for Play Modes for all parts, not just in the PathFinder mod, but all your lovely mods, will involve some form of change, be it C#, Part definition file, ModuleManager code or file/folder structure.
I trust that what I have written is clear, but if there is any point you do not entirely and fully follow, please let me know as trying to convey such a complex set of thoughts is always problematic.

I am eager to hear your thoughts on this suggestion.

I stand corrected. The vast majority of the stuff from the mods still is nonfunctional. However, most of the parts from Pathfinder and the Nautilus Centrifuge from DSEV are working when they didn’t before. I’m still so utterly baffled by this problem.

10 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

I stand corrected. The vast majority of the stuff from the mods still is nonfunctional. However, most of the parts from Pathfinder and the Nautilus Centrifuge from DSEV are working when they didn’t before. I’m still so utterly baffled by this problem.

Did you install the latest Pathfinder, deleting the old folders?

Did you select a play mode other than CRP, and then restart the game?

Did you re select CRP mode and restart the game?

If yest to all the above, I will need to see logs. 

Edited by Angel-125

Howdy. Just downloaded this mod a couple of days ago, and I'm having some issues with knowing exactly what to do with it. I tried going through the Getting Started Setting Up a Base tutorial on the wiki (downloaded both the craft files and loaded up the orange suits, with Bill doing the work), and it looks like there have been some changes to the mod since that tutorial was written. Specifically, there was no Saddle in any of the Buckboards, the Ponderosa was able to inflate on its own, I wasn't able to convert the Buckboard into a battery and I was unable to attach the Mineshaft to any of the crew ports on any of the modules. I was mainly curious to see if an updated tutorial is available or not.

I've also noted that the resource gathering efficacy of some of the craft I had deployed prior to downloading the mod is significantly down, and I was wondering if there was anything I could do to try and bring it back up once again.

I really do like what little I've been able to accomplish with this mod so far.

Apologies if the answers to these questions are in the last several pages of this thread; I'll admit to being too lazy to go look...

Edited by capi3101

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Did you install the latest Pathfinder, deleting the old folders?

Did you select a play mode other than CRP, and then restart the game?

Did you re select CRP mode and restart the game?

If yest to all the above, I will need to see logs. 

Yes to the first one, no to the other two because I haven't gotten a chance to play since. Hopefully today or tomorrow I'll be able to test this for sure.

24 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Yes to the first one, no to the other two because I haven't gotten a chance to play since. Hopefully today or tomorrow I'll be able to test this for sure.

No worries. When I reproduced the problem on my pc, and wrote the fix, I had to change the play mode from CRP to Classic Stock, restart the game, and switch back from Classic Stock to CRP and restart again. The problem is that Pristine Mode wasn’t being hidden properly, but the steps I took in addition to the fix in the latest release fixed it for me. Then I promptly went back to Classic Stock mode, but that’s not a requirement in the least.

2 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

No worries. When I reproduced the problem on my pc, and wrote the fix, I had to change the play mode from CRP to Classic Stock, restart the game, and switch back from Classic Stock to CRP and restart again. The problem is that Pristine Mode wasn’t being hidden properly, but the steps I took in addition to the fix in the latest release fixed it for me. Then I promptly went back to Classic Stock mode, but that’s not a requirement in the least.

Would anything bad result from just deleting pristine mode? It seems like it causes a lot of problems and isn't really useful unless I wanted to make a purely decorative base.

2 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Would anything bad result from just deleting pristine mode? It seems like it causes a lot of problems and isn't really useful unless I wanted to make a purely decorative base.

Should be ok, but make a backup just in case. I still recommend switching play modes away and back to normalize everything