[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, Angel-125 said:

sAkoicY.png

Reasonable compromise...

You could put a close and open sheild on it to stop the partical effect for lower end systems.... or people with stupidly massive bases!

another randon idea, a structure that mines lots, like quarries.....

42055?$PDPDefault$

11 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

You could put a close and open sheild on it to stop the partical effect for lower end systems.... or people with stupidly massive bases!

another randon idea, a structure that mines lots, like quarries.....

42055?$PDPDefault$

I'm actually toying with that idea for the Tycoon drilling rig. The other design is more in line with the stock ISRU drill..

vfb5Ahk.png

This sketch shows a derrick and pipe section. I'm thinking that the animation will show the pipe section sprout from the base (I imagine that some of the drilling rig is underground), where a robot arm picks it up and moves it to the turntable at the center of the derrick. Then the combination hoist and mud pump latches onto it, and the pipe and turntable starts to spin as it drives into the ground. At the end of the animation, the hoist retracts, leaving the pipe section drilled into the ground, and the animation repeats.

The derrick design lets you attach the drilling rig to your base. A bucket wheel excavator part would need to be on a separate vehicle. I don't really have time to do both.

Edited by Angel-125

Alright, I need to ask some questions about the Castillo. The first thing I was going to ask is what happened to the templates, but then I searched for the term "Castillo" on this thread and saw the Guy Fawke's Day release notes for 1.31.0.0 that said they'd all been rolled into a single template. Which is pretty sweet, actually, since now I only have to print up one of them instead of three to get the functionality of each. Do Castillos still have an effect on overall base productivity if you've got a Pilot in them?

I'm afraid I do still need a tutorial on how to attach Castillos to KIS nodes (referencing this post from November 30th here); I couldn't figure out how to do it last night when I went to build the one at my new Minmus base. Wound up attaching it with Mineshafts, which is kinduva no-no at this point. I have two more printed up and the resources available to deploy another one, so I can try again if anyone's willing to walk me through the process.

Last question, this one related to Chuckwagons. Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but how hard is it (or is it even possible) to add a specific storage template? Looking specifically to do Oxygen in CRP mode - it's a pain to have to dump it out every time I want to enrich more uranium...

1 hour ago, capi3101 said:

Alright, I need to ask some questions about the Castillo. The first thing I was going to ask is what happened to the templates, but then I searched for the term "Castillo" on this thread and saw the Guy Fawke's Day release notes for 1.31.0.0 that said they'd all been rolled into a single template. Which is pretty sweet, actually, since now I only have to print up one of them instead of three to get the functionality of each. Do Castillos still have an effect on overall base productivity if you've got a Pilot in them?

I'm afraid I do still need a tutorial on how to attach Castillos to KIS nodes (referencing this post from November 30th here); I couldn't figure out how to do it last night when I went to build the one at my new Minmus base. Wound up attaching it with Mineshafts, which is kinduva no-no at this point. I have two more printed up and the resources available to deploy another one, so I can try again if anyone's willing to walk me through the process.

Last question, this one related to Chuckwagons. Maybe I've missed it somewhere, but how hard is it (or is it even possible) to add a specific storage template? Looking specifically to do Oxygen in CRP mode - it's a pain to have to dump it out every time I want to enrich more uranium...

Yes, though next release the functionality will change:

The Castillo will become a tourist trap and train tourists, the observatory will generate the science and prospecting bonuses (and feature a working telescope), and the factory will produce the production efficiency bonuses while also serving as a Workshop for EL and OSE Workshop. The OmniConverters are also twice as efficient as the inflatable parts due to the Castillo series being permanent structures.

Attaching to the kis nodes works like attaching any other part via kis. Best to read the kis manual for that. There are specific kis nodes so you don’t have to keep rotating the part.

It is easy to add a new template, just cut and paste one of the existing ones.

44 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

It is easy to add a new template, just cut and paste one of the existing ones.

Okay. And which file(s) needs to be adjusted? Just double-checking so I don't screw something up.

I'll try the KIS nodes again...got 'em figured out on the inflatable parts. Boxed parts not yet, obviously.

4 hours ago, capi3101 said:

Okay. And which file(s) needs to be adjusted? Just double-checking so I don't screw something up.

I'll try the KIS nodes again...got 'em figured out on the inflatable parts. Boxed parts not yet, obviously.

Look in the 000WildBlueTools/Templates/CRP/Storage folder. Copy and rename one of the files there.

21 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Attaching to the kis nodes works like attaching any other part via kis. Best to read the kis manual for that. There are specific kis nodes so you don’t have to keep rotating the part.

I don't mean to be dense, but I still can't seem to figure this out...

uNR2dAT.png%20%E2%80%8B

I don't see any KIS nodes to attach it to, no matter which way I rotate it. #confused_(hopefully)_obviously

Is the intent to build the Castillo as the first structure at a base and then attach other things to it? I've got the opposite going on - a full base already made out of Pondarosas/Casa, Chuckwagons, Docs and Haciendas, to which I want to attach a Castillo. Maybe I'm just doing things backwards...

4 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

I don't mean to be dense, but I still can't seem to figure this out...

I don't see any KIS nodes to attach it to, no matter which way I rotate it. #confused_(hopefully)_obviously

Is the intent to build the Castillo as the first structure at a base and then attach other things to it? I've got the opposite going on - a full base already made out of Pondarosas/Casa, Chuckwagons, Docs and Haciendas, to which I want to attach a Castillo. Maybe I'm just doing things backwards...

Tap the "R" key to change nodes.

38 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Did/doing that. What do I attach it to?

When you tap R, you select one of the KIS nodes (I double-checked, they're there) of the Castillo. The part will change orientation and appear to hover a few meters away, but is snapped to the desired attachment node on the part. Hold X to attach the part, and release the mouse button. It's no different than attaching any of the other inflatable parts.

Edited by Angel-125

#noob_mistake #facepalm_so_hard_it_is_felt_in_abu_dhabi

It would certainly help matters if I equipped the stupid KIS screwdriver, wouldn't it... :huh::mad::huh::mad::blush::confused:

Then, follow the directions the mod's creator has given to me kindly (and repeatedly), and then...

THeb86f.png%20%E2%80%8B
Piper Alpha at Mun.

yhN88Sj.png%20%E2%80%8B
Deepwater Horizon at Minmus. Both screenies are as of about ten minutes ago.

I feel like an idiot (and probably rightly so). Thanks for putting up with it, and thanks for your help.

4 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

#noob_mistake #facepalm_so_hard_it_is_felt_in_abu_dhabi

It would certainly help matters if I equipped the stupid KIS screwdriver, wouldn't it... :huh::mad::huh::mad::blush::confused:

Then, follow the directions the mod's creator has given to me kindly (and repeatedly), and then...

Piper Alpha at Mun.

Deepwater Horizon at Minmus. Both screenies are as of about ten minutes ago.

I feel like an idiot (and probably rightly so). Thanks for putting up with it, and thanks for your help.

Glad you got it sorted. :)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to finish up the extra bits for the Sandcastle Part 1 release. Here is a simple adapter for connecting the 12.5m parts to 3.75m parts:

jM3UKyb.png

K0RnT4U.png

The adapter is a boxed part as well. Additionally, I've started on the walkway parts:

nomerkE.png

The walkways let you add extensions to your base and have spots to attach Buckboards to. With the holiday next week, I don't know if I'll have this done before Christmas, but we'll see.

On 12/20/2018 at 7:00 PM, Angel-125 said:

Glad you got it sorted. :)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to finish up the extra bits for the Sandcastle Part 1 release. Here is a simple adapter for connecting the 12.5m parts to 3.75m parts:

jM3UKyb.png

K0RnT4U.png

The adapter is a boxed part as well. Additionally, I've started on the walkway parts:

nomerkE.png

The walkways let you add extensions to your base and have spots to attach Buckboards to. With the holiday next week, I don't know if I'll have this done before Christmas, but we'll see.

can you do me a straight fuel tank at 12.5m i want trying to add tweak scale but just that base of the sandcastle with a flat top would be perfect!, maybe with and without the doors.....
i know your busy and if its too much thats fair, but i thought i would ask because i was gonna ask in the DSEV page for a hugemungus tank that fitted the width of the sheild :p 

35 minutes ago, Space Kadet said:

can you do me a straight fuel tank at 12.5m i want trying to add tweak scale but just that base of the sandcastle with a flat top would be perfect!, maybe with and without the doors.....
i know your busy and if its too much thats fair, but i thought i would ask because i was gonna ask in the DSEV page for a hugemungus tank that fitted the width of the sheild :p 

I’ll consider it if it isn’t too much extra effort. Will take a look over the weekend.

Thank you @capi3101, you were really helpful (Sorry about taking so long to get back, holiday prep)

On 12/16/2018 at 10:39 AM, Angel-125 said:

I'm actually toying with that idea for the Tycoon drilling rig. The other design is more in line with the stock ISRU drill..

vfb5Ahk.png

This sketch shows a derrick and pipe section. I'm thinking that the animation will show the pipe section sprout from the base (I imagine that some of the drilling rig is underground), where a robot arm picks it up and moves it to the turntable at the center of the derrick. Then the combination hoist and mud pump latches onto it, and the pipe and turntable starts to spin as it drives into the ground. At the end of the animation, the hoist retracts, leaving the pipe section drilled into the ground, and the animation repeats.

The derrick design lets you attach the drilling rig to your base. A bucket wheel excavator part would need to be on a separate vehicle. I don't really have time to do both.

how big is the base on this? is it another 12.5m part or is it smaller, the door in the picture makes it look like it is smaller.

on another note, my experiments in making concrete in CRP mode have run into a few, bugs. The first is that the OPAL converter does not seem to produce slag or waste. This is compounded the behavior of the geology lab and claimjumper, both will not open the manage operations icon from the right click menu, when I do it spawns a start converter button in the menu that does not do anything. I can operate both from the mod icon on the sidebar but that is inconsistent with the rest of the parts. Could you investigate and give me an idea of what is happening/how I can fix it? I can get you a log report if you want it.

Also there is no oxygen storage in the nukeworks, or the option in the buckboard storage which precludes the refining of Uraninite into enriched uranium.

1 hour ago, Titan 3001 said:

Thank you @capi3101, you were really helpful (Sorry about taking so long to get back, holiday prep)

how big is the base on this? is it another 12.5m part or is it smaller, the door in the picture makes it look like it is smaller.

on another note, my experiments in making concrete in CRP mode have run into a few, bugs. The first is that the OPAL converter does not seem to produce slag or waste. This is compounded the behavior of the geology lab and claimjumper, both will not open the manage operations icon from the right click menu, when I do it spawns a start converter button in the menu that does not do anything. I can operate both from the mod icon on the sidebar but that is inconsistent with the rest of the parts. Could you investigate and give me an idea of what is happening/how I can fix it? I can get you a log report if you want it.

Also there is no oxygen storage in the nukeworks, or the option in the buckboard storage which precludes the refining of Uraninite into enriched uranium.

I don't have time to debug CRP stuff, sorry. I suggest you look at existing templates and cut and paste.

The tracking station, revised pipeline, fusion reactor, and drill are all 5m in diameter.

6 hours ago, Space Kadet said:

It's doable. This is a test:

X4REFc4.png

Just need a variant without the doors...

6 hours ago, Titan 3001 said:

Glad to have been of some assistance.

OPAL does produce Slag, but as I said earlier, the rate is atrocious. From the CRP config file -

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = ElectricCharge
			Ratio = 15
		}

INPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Ore
			Ratio = 0.0014
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Water
			Ratio = 0.000357
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Waste
			Ratio = 0.00001
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Slag
			Ratio = 0.00001
		}

OUTPUT_RESOURCE
		{
			ResourceName = Oxygen
			Ratio = 0.000115
			DumpExcess = true
		}

Those rates are per second. At a rate of .00001 Slag output, you'd produce a measurable amount of Slag (0.01 units) after 16 minutes and 40 seconds. 

OPAL doesn't store Slag on its own - you do need a Chuckwagon to hold it. A operating Prospector unit - either at a Geology Lab or Claimjumper - will produce it much faster, but in order to do so, the productivity of your base needs to be a value above zero; figured that one out not too long ago my own self. Productivity is largely dependent on the stupidity rating of your individual Kerbals and their experience levels. Had an 81% stupid pilot go on EVA; base's efficiency jumped six points. Replaced a 13% stupid one-star engineer with an 18% stupid 2-star engineer; productivity went up three points. So take from that what you will.

I can't say I'm seeing the same behavior as you with the Geology Lab and Claimjumper; I have the option to manage operations from both. Would you mind taking a screenie with the menu open? Just want to know exactly what you're seeing.

c7xQ5oi.png

NBLEO3r.png

For the record, here's what I'm seeing. I have my Prospector shut off at the moment, which is why Slag isn't being produced in the screenies (the Prospector cuts into your ore and this base isn't making all that much to begin with).

Been trying to work on the issue of making an Oxygen storage template my own self recently. I was going to report failure in that regard but I just realized the file had the wrong extension (it had saved as a .txt file instead of a .cfg file; I appear to be the king of noob mistakes lately).

Try this - 

STORAGE_TEMPLATE
{
	name = Oxygen
	author = Angel-125
	shortName = Oxygen
	logoPanel = WildBlueIndustries/000WildBlueTools/Decals/Oxium
	glowPanel = WildBlueIndustries/000WildBlueTools/Decals/OxiumGlow
	description = This kit stores Oxygen for your general not-deadness.
	templateTags = stowage

RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxygen
		amount = 1800
		maxAmount = 1800
	}

}

Save it as Oxygen.cfg in WildBlueIndustries\000WildBlueTools\Templates\CRP\Storage, and see what that gets you. Me, I need to see if this is actually working. If it doesn't, I'll say something about it on the quick-fast...

As a workaround, try the TAC Fuel Balancer mod; you can set it to dump the oxygen while you're still working at your base (assuming you're not using any life support mods - otherwise that's probably not the best advice). Hasn't been updated for a while but it still works (at least in 1.5.1 it does; can't vouch for 1.6).

EDIT: Yep, the config file works. It does help when you put it in the right subdirectory; I originally had it in Templates\Common\Storage and my game was hanging as a result...

iahWU05.png

Edited by capi3101
added screenies