[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

Badsector said:
Sure, do what you like with those .cfg

Regards Luca

Thanks.

First one is up

It's been submitted to CKAN, so I guess will be available in the next day or so.

Second one is up

Also submitted to CKAN

- - - Updated - - -

@Badsector, can you give me one or two sentences describing what the Antennarange patch does? I'll update the README and Kerbalstuff with it.

Thanks

Edited by Snark
Link to defunct website removed by moderator

Having just finished The Martian a few days ago... very cool! I'll have to check availability through CKAN.
At least official release
Dat Buffalo.

Glad you like the mod. :) I should have some bug fixes and documentation later this week as well.

Thanks

Just waiting for CKAN to get updated to verify the install configs (.netkan files)

Nice! Sounds like you've got the patches that work for you. :) I was considering Antenna Range but holding off for KSP 1.1. I can add that to the baseline mod if you like.

I'm curious to know why so many want USI-LS in the baseline support. The only real differences would be in the storage templates and maybe the Pigpen. The Prairie uses a different method to generate food than USI-LS's greenhouses and probably needs to be disabled or replaced when using USI-LS in order to ensure a consistent user experience. Why not just use MKS? I guess I'm also asking how people use Pathfinder as I don't really hear about that. Mostly people just post bug reports, heh.

Edited by Angel-125

I'm curious to know why so many want USI-LS in the baseline support. The only real differences would be in the storage templates and maybe the Pigpen. The Prairie uses a different method to generate food than USI-LS's greenhouses and probably needs to be disabled or replaced when using USI-LS in order to ensure a consistent user experience. Why not just use MKS? I guess I'm also asking how people use Pathfinder as I don't really hear about that. Mostly people just post bug reports, heh.

People probably don't say how they're using pathfinder because you haven't asked?

Honestly, myself, I don't use USI-LS. I like a simpler model, so I'm using ECLSS. I just want O2 and Carbon Dioxide, but not the spider web of life support every other major LS system creates. Too part heavy and by the time I have things set up, the part count spent on my vehicles alone pushes things into 'can't... calculate... physics. Sound... like... Shatner.'

Right now, I'm using pathfinder inflatable buildings as a build out base... Still testing, but I'm trying to go for a deployable self-sustaining mining base. I understand a lot of people like the whole 'expensive in time and resources' colonizing layouts the other mods provide. But with my desire to play with huge chunks of mods, the ram limit, and anything with more than 100 parts slowing my physics time ratio to a crawl, I have to stay part-light. The nice thing about what you've done with Pathfinder is definitely in the multi-configuration setups of the modules. You've got a dozen different 'buildings' but you only need to sort out packing four modules to get them all. That keeps part and texture count tiny, but allows so much to be packed in.

That and everything you need can go in a box that wouldn't look out of place on the back of a truck. That's a fairly strong difference to the other mods. Even MKS you have to at least design your vehicle around a core part. A core part that you have to figure out how to deliver 'right side up', so to speak.

Snacks is too simple. TAC-LS is too hard.

USI-LS seems to be a good compromise between the two, and it works very well. If I wanted real life simulation, I'd use TAC-LS.

I wrote up a comparision of the available life support mods, it's available here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108160-Life-Support-Discussion-and-Comparison

Please let me know if you do include the AntennaRange patch in the main config, if you do, I'll delete the mod I created for it.

I guess I would be more curious why you have resisted adding support for it to begin with. It functions extremely well and it probably the second most popular LS mod available at the moment.

I'm not using life support at all because I don't find it fun.

I use MKS for permanent bases, and pathfinder as an augment to them or for space camping. I do and use both depending on what I'm trying to do and make. I like being able to pack the inflatable bases away in a cargo bay in the lander and inflate them on site, then take them down when it's time to go. It also lets me set up a mini-science lab on an asteroid after catching it. Very versatile. I also like your Science-Funds-Rep module for the science labs.

For me MKS is more of a Extraplanetary Launchpads thing where I use the remote logistics, logistics transfer, and that resource chain to build craft off-world.

@Angel-125,

Would you consider putting links to the two patch mods I packaged up for people on the first page of this? It would help people find them if they are interested.

This mod patch makes Pathfinder compatible with USI-LS: Pathfinder-USILS-CommunityPatch

This mod patch adds compatibility for Antennarange and gives the GasLight the same stats of the Commutron 16

Pathfinder-AntennarangePatch

Both are available via CKAN

Thanks

LGG

Edited by Snark

I guess I would be more curious why you have resisted adding support for it to begin with. It functions extremely well and it probably the second most popular LS mod available at the moment.

I imagine it has to do with

Why not just use MKS?

There's already a base building mod specifically for use with USI-LS. But I can only venture a guess.

Personally I use Pathfinder the same way as I used MKS; incorrectly. ;) As I'm not using any life support mods anymore, it's just about cool looking bases.

Edited by Randazzo

I image it has to do with

There's already a base building mod specifically for use with USI-LS. But I can only venture a guess.

Personally I use Pathfinder the same way as I used MKS; incorrectly. ;) As I'm not using any life support mods anymore, it's just about cool looking bases.

True, but USI-LS was also designed as a perfectly usable Standalone LS mod. And there are plenty of people using it without MKS, as they don't want the complexity of MKS.

I guess it just seemed odd that Angel-125 previously made a great and popular parts pack that worked specifically with MKS, and now there seems to be a great bit of animosity towards all things USI.

linuxgurugamer said:
@Angel-125,

Would you consider putting links to the two patch mods I packaged up for people on the first page of this? It would help people find them if they are interested.

I added the USI link to the first post. Thanks for the link. :) I'll add the AntennaRange patch into the next release, which will be real soon.

goldenpsp said:
True, but USI-LS was also designed as a perfectly usable Standalone LS mod. And there are plenty of people using it without MKS, as they don't want the complexity of MKS.

I guess it just seemed odd that Angel-125 previously made a great and popular parts pack that worked specifically with MKS, and now there seems to be a great bit of animosity towards all things USI.

I think you're reading into things a bit much. I have a specific goal in mind for Pathfinder's difficulty levels that I'm working towards, and USI-LS isn't part of the plan.

I took some time today to work on the mod's wiki. It's definitely a work in progress and incomplete, but you can see the start of it here.

Edited by Snark

I think you're reading into things a bit much. I have a specific goal in mind for Pathfinder's difficulty levels that I'm working towards, and USI-LS isn't part of the plan.

I took some time today to work on the mod's wiki. It's definitely a work in progress and incomplete, but you can see the start of it here.

Fair enough. The mod looks really cool btw.

I added the USI link to the first post. Thanks for the link. :) I'll add the AntennaRange patch into the next release, which will be real soon.

OK. When you make the next release, I'll retire that mod.

LGG

Get the latest here!

Buffalo

- Added ElectricCharge to the Buffalo Crew Cab and Wagon.

- The Buffalo Wagon now properly shows up in the Utility tab.

Module Manager Patches

- Added Antenna Range Module Manager patch by badsector. Thanks badsector & linuxgurugamer! :)

Bug Fixes

- The Recycle ScrapMetal converter (which requires Extraplanetary Launchpads) now requires 9.75 units of ScrapMetal to produce 1 unit of Metal. This accounts for conservation of mass and for density differences between Metal and ScrapMetal.

- Fixed an issue in the commercial science lab where it was incorrectly converting the lab's data into Funds and Reputation instead of its stored Science.

- Fixed an issue in the commercial science lab where it would remove the stored science before completing data transmission.

- The commercial science lab will only show the Publish Research and Sell Research buttons when in Career Mode.

Angel-125,

Two things.

First, I request that the netkan for the Pathfinder-Antennarange be deleted since you included that file in the mod

Second, you may want to change the forum link on Kerbalstuff to point to this thread instead of the dev thread.

LGG

Get the latest here!

Buffalo

- Added ElectricCharge to the Buffalo Crew Cab and Wagon.

- The Buffalo Wagon now properly shows up in the Utility tab.

Module Manager Patches

- Added Antenna Range Module Manager patch by badsector. Thanks badsector & linuxgurugamer! :)

Bug Fixes

- The Recycle ScrapMetal converter (which requires Extraplanetary Launchpads) now requires 9.75 units of ScrapMetal to produce 1 unit of Metal. This accounts for conservation of mass and for density differences between Metal and ScrapMetal.

- Fixed an issue in the commercial science lab where it was incorrectly converting the lab's data into Funds and Reputation instead of its stored Science.

- Fixed an issue in the commercial science lab where it would remove the stored science before completing data transmission.

- The commercial science lab will only show the Publish Research and Sell Research buttons when in Career Mode.

Thanks guys, I fixed the KerbalStuff Links.

@linuxgurugamer: I wouldn't know how to delete the netkan files you created, maybe you can contact CKAN?

I did it, I THINK. We will see tomorrow if it worked.

Angel, in what direction would you say you plan for the difficulty to deviate from UCI-LS?

Edited by qm3ster