[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

I'm getting some error spam with the latest release when I go to the game settings, I think this happened in the graphics tab, which is a bit weird. Something to be concerned about?

Full logs (Google drive).

[EXC 00:39:04.490] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	WildBlueIndustries.WBIMainSettings.get_PayToReconfigure ()
	WildBlueIndustries.WBIPathfinderSettingsMonitor.UpdateSettings ()
	EventVoid.Fire ()
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventVoid:Fire()
	KSP.UI.Screens.Settings.SettingsScreen:OnApply()
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[ERR 00:39:04.494] Exception handling event OnGameSettingsApplied in class WBISettingsMonitor:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIMainSettings.get_PayToReconfigure () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBISettingsMonitor.UpdateSettings () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 00:39:04.496] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	WildBlueIndustries.WBIMainSettings.get_PayToReconfigure ()
	WildBlueIndustries.WBISettingsMonitor.UpdateSettings ()
	EventVoid.Fire ()
	UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
	EventVoid:Fire()
	KSP.UI.Screens.Settings.SettingsScreen:OnApply()
	UnityEngine.EventSystems.EventSystem:Update()
[ERR 00:39:04.500] Exception handling event OnGameSettingsApplied in class WBIPathfinderSettingsMonitor:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIMainSettings.get_PayToReconfigure () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at WildBlueIndustries.WBIPathfinderSettingsMonitor.UpdateSettings () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

// this repeats 

Pathfinder has a Kerbalism mod support patch that is currently outdated, since kerbalism is in version 1.1.8, as this patch only supports up to version 1.1.4 for KSP 1.1.3 ... if anyone can update this patch Will be of great value, the only mod base / colonization that supports kerbalism 1.1.8 so far is KPBS.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:26 AM, /not/pol/ said:

Er.. wat?

Error gets thrown when the TERRAIN Scanner is spawned

Null ref at inflation and the IVA is glitched/shown when inflated.

I ran into these problems too and fixed them. The fixes will be in the next release.

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I ran into these problems too and fixed them. The fixes will be in the next release.

Should mention the IVA is only glitch-shown in the Editor, in flight its just fine. great mod, looking forward to basing a career game on surface bases with it.

I'm having the same problem with my geology lab that DarkGod was having on the last page I think.  I started a base with a conestoga with two casas attached, one hab and one geology lab.  I then put a scientist in the geo lab and hit start research and it seems to have just broken the part.  Now when I hit "manage operations" instead of bringing up the management UI it adds another converter line to the lab's tooltip every time I press it.  I set up a brand new geo lab at KSC to see if it would work and that part is broken right off the bat, the part tooltip doesn't even have any buttons, just the list of the resources on board.

I can try to get you an error log later tonight but I'm not sure where error logs go when they don't cause a crash.  For now here is a picture of the base with the broken lab's tooltip.

bRuWGm2.jpg

30 minutes ago, Cruzo said:

I'm having the same problem with my geology lab that DarkGod was having on the last page I think.  I started a base with a conestoga with two casas attached, one hab and one geology lab.  I then put a scientist in the geo lab and hit start research and it seems to have just broken the part.  Now when I hit "manage operations" instead of bringing up the management UI it adds another converter line to the lab's tooltip every time I press it.  I set up a brand new geo lab at KSC to see if it would work and that part is broken right off the bat, the part tooltip doesn't even have any buttons, just the list of the resources on board.

I can try to get you an error log later tonight but I'm not sure where error logs go when they don't cause a crash.  For now here is a picture of the base with the broken lab's tooltip.

Thanks, I definitely need logs as I cannot reproduce the problem.

23 hours ago, Cruzo said:

Ok, I think I can finally reproduce the issue. The problem can occur if you hit the "Start Research" button without selecting an experiment first. With MOLE, you can do that, but not with Pathfinder's current experiment system.

I'll have a fix in the next update. If you don't select an experiment before starting the research, then by default you'll perform a Biome Analysis, which will generate a core sample to use for your other experiments.

It also looks like the geology lab is due for a revision; I was going to switch it over to the science system I developed for MOLE awhile back, and those plans are still valid. When I switch it over, you'll still be able to improve production efficiencies in the current biome, but the experiments will work more like they do for MOLE.

Edited by Angel-125

5 hours ago, Cruzo said:

That sounds cool.  I probably did do what you said because this is my first Pathfinder base and I'm still feeling out how all this stuff works.

No worries, I was able to figure it out. :) Of course, it will change in the next release; I found time today to revamp the geology lab. It will have experiments like you have with the Doc Science Lab, and in addition to giving a small amount of science (just like the stock experiments do), you'll be have a chance to improve the production efficiency of your converters when operating in your current biome. Thankfully I did most of the work needed when I built the science system for MOLE. :)

Revamped Pathfinder Geology Lab:

v3861V6.png

69YgvDD.png

Now it fits in line with what I did for MOLE and the Doc Science Lab. The benefit to players is that you'll get a small amount of science the first time you run the experiment, and you'll still get the opportunity to improve your converter efficiencies like you did before. Even if you no longer get science from the experiment, you'll be able to improve production efficiency. :)

Given how frequently MKS is going through changes right now (as RoverDude is getting everything settled the way he wants it) there isn't any chance of Pathfinder and MKS playing together in the near future. RoverDude has said that, once he has his mods where he wants them, he will release balancing guidelines for integrating other mods. I know there are a couple of us (I'm looking at you, @DStaal) that enjoy using USI and WBI mods, so there's a good chance you'll see some MM patches come out to help them play more harmoniously together, but we have to wait for now. 

Having said that, it isn't like you can't use both systems in the same save, but the two systems won't help each other the way you would want them to. 

My current line of thought is to use WBI in early game, and transition to USI late game.  WBI is easier to deploy and set up, and has lower resource requirements, but is more awkward to use - even if it's often more flexible.  USI's mechanics (most of them, not all) feel a bit smoother and less awkward - in a way that feels like more advanced tech, not in 'better designed mod' - so later bases tend to be more USI.

(By awkward/not awkward, I mean things like supply production: WBI has a mechanic for harvesting batches, with variable production.  USI's are just continuous production.  I can easily see early deployments being closer to WBI, but later methods tweaking out the timing so that there's always something ready for harvest.)

13 hours ago, DStaal said:

My current line of thought is to use WBI in early game, and transition to USI late game.  WBI is easier to deploy and set up, and has lower resource requirements, but is more awkward to use - even if it's often more flexible.  USI's mechanics (most of them, not all) feel a bit smoother and less awkward - in a way that feels like more advanced tech, not in 'better designed mod' - so later bases tend to be more USI.

(By awkward/not awkward, I mean things like supply production: WBI has a mechanic for harvesting batches, with variable production.  USI's are just continuous production.  I can easily see early deployments being closer to WBI, but later methods tweaking out the timing so that there's always something ready for harvest.)

Interesting. The greenhouses do supply food in batches, but I don't recall what other things in Pathfinder do the same. Gold Strike does, but that is the nature of prospecting. I suppose the efficiency improvement studies do, but that's also done to reflect that it takes time to study the local biome, and to cut down on part count. Everything else is continuous production.

Tthere is a continuous production option of food for TAC LS and for Snacks, just USI LS doesn't have one. Also, the Prospector converter makes it easy to take ore and separate out all the resources in the local biome, so you no longer need to change your drill configurations. Of course you still can if you want to speed up the production of a single resource. But only having to drill for ore should simplify things.

Granted, Pathfinder is geared towards the first steps on a new world after flags and footprints, but I'm still curious about the streamlining. Bear in mind that I don't modify the production chains that come from other mods like Extraplantery Launchpads, since the production chain is already established and known. I suppose that might seem ackward for MKS users though.

Then there is the Bison gondola parts I made for the Heisenberg mod. The hab, lab, and greenhouse parts all support Pathfinder templates with no need to set things up. Think of MOLE on wheels, a mobile base. About the only thing it needs is a docking port that can flex like the stock claw after it has docked. That assumes the game allows that sort of thing.

I suppose one streamlining that will occur will be with Project Sandcastle, the 3d printing of permanent Pathfinder dwellings using unkerbed, probe core controlled rovers equipped with 3d printers and Konkrete mixers. I haven't forgotten about Sandcastle, I've just been a bit busy with other projects. 

Edited by Angel-125

I picked the greenhouses as an example, because they jump out at me and they are obvious.  There's lots of smaller decisions that feel similar to me: Optimized for first steps of colonization, where MKS is optimized towards later stages.  :wink:  Again, this is not a bad thing - just a difference.  (In fact, I tend to think of it as a good thing, in that they have a different feel.)

I've looked at the Bison and experimented a bit, but my focus at the moment is on this mission, so it hasn't been a main focus.   For the docking port that can flex, you should check out the new Feline Utility Rovers mod - they have a part that does the flexing, so you can probably ask Nils277 how he did it.

17 hours ago, Bombaatu said:

Are there any plans to do a KSPedia category for Pathfinder?

There is a wiki on the GitHub repro that few read, and my experience is that MOLE's KSPedia isn't read too. I would love for someone to step up and help with the KSPedia, it would be a great help. Otherwise, it will have to wait until I get other projects completed.

@Angel-125 Has anyone reported problems with the Mineshaft Portable Crew Tube? For some reason in my games it won't stay purchased. Once I've researched this part, and spent the funds to unlock it, if I go to the VAB or SPH, in the part list it says entry purchase required. if I just spend funds again through the VAB/SPH I can use it, but as soon as I leave either building and return, it's grayed out and must be purchased again. It's the only part that's doing it, and 'm 99% sure it came from this particular mod pack? I seem to feel I had a problem like this once before, years ago with another mod having one part that wouldn't stay unlocked but I can't for the life of me remember which one, or how it got fixed.

I'm more than willing to supply you with anything you need, but since this doesn't cause a game crash, im not sure what to send you, as I don't know if there'll be an error log?

32 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@Angel-125 Has anyone reported problems with the Mineshaft Portable Crew Tube? For some reason in my games it won't stay purchased. Once I've researched this part, and spent the funds to unlock it, if I go to the VAB or SPH, in the part list it says entry purchase required. if I just spend funds again through the VAB/SPH I can use it, but as soon as I leave either building and return, it's grayed out and must be purchased again. It's the only part that's doing it, and 'm 99% sure it came from this particular mod pack? I seem to feel I had a problem like this once before, years ago with another mod having one part that wouldn't stay unlocked but I can't for the life of me remember which one, or how it got fixed.

I'm more than willing to supply you with anything you need, but since this doesn't cause a game crash, im not sure what to send you, as I don't know if there'll be an error log?

Check to see if there is a Mineshaft part in any of the Pathfinder part folders. Mineshaft should be in the Buffalo folder. Also, make sure you're using the latest Pathfinder mod (it comes with the latest Buffalo).

7 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Check to see if there is a Mineshaft part in any of the Pathfinder part folders. Mineshaft should be in the Buffalo folder. Also, make sure you're using the latest Pathfinder mod (it comes with the latest Buffalo).

The config file for the mineshaft is in pathfinder, there is not one in buffalo that I can find, and a quick check of all your mods shows I have them up to date. so im not sure why the file is in a wrong place, I've not moved them around.

RnWM1jG.png

Edited by vardicd

4 minutes ago, vardicd said:

The config file for the mineshaft is in pathfinder, there is not one in buffalo that I can find, and a quick check of all your mods shows I have them up to date. so im not sure why the file is in a wrong place, I've not moved them around.

Hm, that's not right. The Mineshaft should be under Buffalo/Parts/Utility, and is in Buffalo 1.1.0. There should be no traces of the Mineshaft in Pathfinder 1.4.0.

Just now, Angel-125 said:

Hm, that's not right. The Mineshaft should be under Buffalo/Parts/Utility, and is in Buffalo 1.1.0. There should be no traces of the Mineshaft in Pathfinder 1.4.0.

Yeah just going to say I found a duplicate file in buffalo, so I've got 2 part files, also just noticed the date on that pathfinder one is from back in November, while all the others are from January of this year, something funny happened here.

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

Yeah just going to say I found a duplicate file in buffalo, so I've got 2 part files, also just noticed the date on that pathfinder one is from back in November, while all the others are from January of this year, something funny happened here.

I just checked, Pathfinder 1.4.0 does not have the Mineshaft anywhere in it.