[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

For those interested, I have made a small Excel spreadsheet to budget a Pathfinder base with TAC-LS. It lists the resources per day (second in case of EC) that goes in and out of the different Pathfinder elements as well as kerbals and stock drills and converters. You can select how many of the domes you need to build in a given configuration, and the equipment cost will be listed and added to the total payload mass for what you have budgeted for. If you choose a fractional number to represent a light load, the spreadsheet rounds the mass and equipment cost up to a whole number of units. Feel free to ask if above instruction does not make sense.

Second page of the spreadsheet is a lookup table, so new items can be added. It also includes the resources I do not consider when budgeting for life support, but come handy in other cases. Still wondering about slag from the OPAL, though. I considered adding all TAC-LS elements I use, but found little overlap between the elements I use for space ships and elements I use for bases.

The spreadsheet resides in my OneDrive an is as such modifiable via web access, but I would recommend downloading a separate copy:

https://elevcampus-my.sharepoint.com/personal/je_statsskolen_dk/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=17307f05ba980425eae77a744fc3b2147&authkey=AWHi0lGYhHAnwpPfp-NvoKg

Hi again only meeeee :P

Was looking for advide pretty please.

I left debug messages running while loading my game and I see lots of errors related to I think Pathfinder or one of the WBI mods I use.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/96104955042704253/8C9C5861B7FC2250700CBBA29D089CC5DB60718A/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/96104955042704041/D4052B9C84D27ED265032523AED9B09F92A4B562/

Is this any thing to worry about? :(

7 hours ago, stk2008 said:

Hi again only meeeee :P

Was looking for advide pretty please.

I left debug messages running while loading my game and I see lots of errors related to I think Pathfinder or one of the WBI mods I use.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/96104955042704253/8C9C5861B7FC2250700CBBA29D089CC5DB60718A/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/96104955042704041/D4052B9C84D27ED265032523AED9B09F92A4B562/

Is this any thing to worry about? :(

Looks like you don't have the mod installed properly.

23 hours ago, Toyotawolf said:

Long time no see Angel, hope this gets updated for ckan soon :)

Hey, good to hear from you. :) Yeah, CKAN still messes up the install and causes no end of headaches. But on the plus side, a lot has changed since I first released the mod. It's mostly in the streamlining phase now, with some updates remaining for the Buffalo, and Project Sandcastle..

In the planning of my first real deep space mission, part of the logistics is sending the elements of a base ahead well in time before Kerbals. Mostly this is done for rp reasons, so I can abort in case of the supply missions failing. However, it occurred to me that I could send out a couple of Prairie greenhouses in advance to have food ready for the return trip, as it takes a while to grow. This looked as a good idea until I realized that greenhouses (TAC config) require CO2, and the only supplier of CO2 I am aware of is the Kerbals themselves, which kind of goes against the whole idea. A small tank of CO2 solves the problem for several years, but I like the idea of a wholly automated farm.

Carbon is one of the most abundant elements in the universe (though scarce on the Moon), so it would be justified to be able to prospect for it and extract it in some way. Then a Watney lab could turn it into CO2 using O2 and producing energy. Or you could extract CO2 directly from some planetary atmospheres. I know you have a lot on your plate but is this an idea you want to consider at some point?

Scratch that, I just realized that greenhouses and labs cannot be inflated without crew.

Edited by Freshmeat
Bad idea.

None of the Casa buttons work, including Inflate.  Also, the context menu will not go away unless I switch to  another vessel/kerbal when interacting with a kerbal.  Even right-clicking the mouse does not remove the menu.   In the image, the Kerbal is Bill the Engineer.

As an experiment, I inflated the Casa in the VAB.  I then launched.  On the launchpad, I was able to select the Casa and the Deflate button worked.  The Context menu DID respond to  mouse clicks, including disappearing with the right-click outside of the menu.

EDIT:  To get this to work:

a)  Inflate in VAB

b)  Go to Launchpad

c)  Deflate

d) Launch

You must make sure you have 1200 Equipment available; 600 to deflate.  600 to inflate

Not a good workaround, but it works.

NSkaR2M.png

Note that this entrance to the Chuckwagon does not give me the option to Board.  The one on the opposite side of the tube does.

AyCXtgo.png

I'm really looking forward to this mod, having heard about it from KottabosGames on YT.

Edited by Apollo13

Suggestion:  It's great that you added your own wheels to Pathfinder.  However, I use the wheels from PlanetBaseInc because they both retract and decouple when I've reached the location I wish to place the vessel..  PF's Mountain Goat wheels do decouple, which is great.  Can you add that function to the Grizzly and Bear Cub wheels as well?  I further assume that retracting is out of the question, although that would be a very nice feature.

Edited by Apollo13

On 3/19/2017 at 5:03 AM, Apollo13 said:

None of the Casa buttons work, including Inflate.  Also, the context menu will not go away unless I switch to  another vessel/kerbal when interacting with a kerbal.  Even right-clicking the mouse does not remove the menu.   In the image, the Kerbal is Bill the Engineer.

As an experiment, I inflated the Casa in the VAB.  I then launched.  On the launchpad, I was able to select the Casa and the Deflate button worked.  The Context menu DID respond to  mouse clicks, including disappearing with the right-click outside of the menu.

EDIT:  To get this to work:

a)  Inflate in VAB

b)  Go to Launchpad

c)  Deflate

d) Launch

You must make sure you have 1200 Equipment available; 600 to deflate.  600 to inflate

Not a good workaround, but it works.

NSkaR2M.png

Note that this entrance to the Chuckwagon does not give me the option to Board.  The one on the opposite side of the tube does.

AyCXtgo.png

I'm really looking forward to this mod, having heard about it from KottabosGames on YT.

The geology lab requires a Scientist to reconfigure or inflate. If you're using an Engineer, you don't have the required ScienceSkill. Be sure to check the required skill when you Manage Operations. The context menu sounds like something to do with the game. For the Chuckwagon, it looks like it just needs an airlock trigger. I'll have that in the next release.

The Concrete Slab may have problems:

1)  Cannot plant a flag on it.  I want to use the slab as a landing zone.  I will identify it with a flag, that I can then set as a target for landing.

2)  Kerbals cannot move on it.  When my Kerbal steps on it, he falls down and will not respond to the WASD keys.  To rescue him, I have to use the jetpack to lift him off the slab and move him to the ground off trhe slab.  On one occasion, I was able to walk the kerbal on the slab. 

3)  Cannot salvage part to equipment unless I'm standing on it.  If off the slab, and highlighting the slab, the context menu wll not display.

Edited by Apollo13

@Angel-125

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this.

Basically installing Pathfinder makes KSP unplayable due to CPU hogging, without even going into any buidilng, i start KSP without Pathfinder - in SpaceCenter 60fps (limited already in game settings) but then i close the game, put the whole WBI package (Pathfinder+Buffalo+MOLE+MCM) into GameData (latest versions manually downloaded).

I start up KSP, load up my mock-career save (1 vessel only without any WBI Parts) and IMMEDIATELY in SpaceCenter i get 6-9fps ONLY

I run a fairly Decent Gaming Laptop so i wouldnt dig into system specs.

How can we analyse this ?

I'd love to use the pack but as it is now, it locks up my game totally

At the moment i run only around 40 mods, GameData size is 1GB, i can provide the list of mods but there isnt anything special there i think

@Jasseji  I experience this as well to a degree.  My game is slow to respond to keystrokes.  After placing an object on the vessel or hitting a key, the game pauses for about 5 seconds.  Frame-rate drops to about 2 fps.  My desktop gaming rig handles other games, such as FPS games without a blip.  It has a decent graphics card nVidia 730 GT with 4 gig DRAM.  Before installing Pathfinder, I didn't have frame-rate problems.  The fps drops even in scenes without Pathfinder items.

Edited by Apollo13

yes, it's not dependent on the parts i believe, will try to test it with only the parts later on, i suspect something either in the main plugin or conflict with another plugin

I run a Laptop with Nvidia GeForce 1060 6GB VRAM, Intel i7 6700, 32GB DDR4 RAM + M2 SSD so i dont suspect the hardware is at fault here :P (i run The Witcher 3 on Ultra Settings with mods and visual packs)

Edited by Jasseji

• 2 weeks later...

I have a strange issue. Sometimes, when attaching things to things that have been bolted to the ground, like power ports to gaslights, or modules to switchback base hubs, the parent part (the part being attached to) will be destroyed. it doesn't always happen though. I checked the log file, and after sifting through a never ending onslaught of Null Reference Exceptions, I found this: 

[LOG 01:37:41.195] Create part & attach
[LOG 01:37:41.202] Attach new part SEP.plug to WBI.Sombrero (Vessel): srcNodeId=bottom, tgtNode=Plug2
[LOG 01:37:41.203] Wait for part SEP.plug to get alive...
[LOG 01:37:41.203] StopPointer()
[LOG 01:37:41.205] Set pointer mode to: Attach
[LOG 01:37:41.205] Set pointer mode to: Nothing
[LOG 01:37:41.206] KIS UI lock released
[LOG 01:37:41.207] Pointer destroyed
[EXC 01:37:41.258] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    VesselView.VesselViewPlugin.OnGUI ()

I have no idea what it means, and I obviously would like to get this taken care of before I start shipping pathfinder parts off-world. 

@Angel-125 It's definitely something in the Plugin itselft as running the parts alone without the plugins is fine.

I have now only the MOLE parts and game runs ok, the moment i add any of the WBI dll's, the fps drops down to 6-7 immiedately in SpaceCenter after launching the game

12 hours ago, Jasseji said:

@Angel-125 It's definitely something in the Plugin itselft as running the parts alone without the plugins is fine.

I have now only the MOLE parts and game runs ok, the moment i add any of the WBI dll's, the fps drops down to 6-7 immiedately in SpaceCenter after launching the game

Are you getting null-refs in the space center or anything? If anything, it'll have to wait for 1.3 to drop. There are a bunch of changes needed to get the plugins working. One of the things I really need though is a profiler. Right now, there's no way for me to tell where the performance bottleneck is. I think you can step through the plugin code in KSP, but I haven't tried that yet.

13 hours ago, Mechfan said:

I have a strange issue. Sometimes, when attaching things to things that have been bolted to the ground, like power ports to gaslights, or modules to switchback base hubs, the parent part (the part being attached to) will be destroyed. it doesn't always happen though. I checked the log file, and after sifting through a never ending onslaught of Null Reference Exceptions, I found this: 

[LOG 01:37:41.202] Attach new part SEP.plug to WBI.Sombrero (Vessel): srcNodeId=bottom, tgtNode=Plug2
[EXC 01:37:41.258] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I have no idea what it means, and I obviously would like to get this taken care of before I start shipping pathfinder parts off-world. 

That sounds like a KIS issue.

13 hours ago, Mechfan said:

I've had things explode on me as well, and it almost always happens when I try to screw something down in the place where I was picking it up from was.  Like, I forgot to hit H to lock it down the first time and tried to attach it in the same spot.  Haven't run into it as much other than that, and I always try to pack a couple spares.

1 hour ago, Krakatoa said:

I've had things explode on me as well, and it almost always happens when I try to screw something down in the place where I was picking it up from was.  Like, I forgot to hit H to lock it down the first time and tried to attach it in the same spot.  Haven't run into it as much other than that, and I always try to pack a couple spares.

That has to do with KIS as well. I've mitigated the issue by moving colliders slightly way from the attachment nodes similar to what SEP does, but it's not perfect. That's one reason the Conestoga exists; you don't necessarily need KIS to create distributed bases without the need for KIS.

Edited by Angel-125

9 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Are you getting null-refs in the space center or anything? If anything, it'll have to wait for 1.3 to drop. There are a bunch of changes needed to get the plugins working. One of the things I really need though is a profiler. Right now, there's no way for me to tell where the performance bottleneck is. I think you can step through the plugin code in KSP, but I haven't tried that yet.

That sounds like a KIS issue.

I will have to try on a clean KSP install when i get the chance later on.

I didnt notice more exceptions than the usual but with all the other mods installed, it might be a deception :P